True meaning of the song BU2B?

Texas King

Awful song from a mediocre album. Funny how he's all "individualism is the greatest good" yet he abandoned Ayn Rand, who, dare I say, is radically individualistic.

I honestly hate when Neil bitches about religion and conformity as if he's an angsty teen in the punk era. It ruins the intellectual he is. I wish he would actually write profound things instead of just rehashing atheism and 'f**k the man"

• Like 2

Awful song from a mediocre album. Funny how he's all "individualism is the greatest good" yet he abandoned Ayn Rand, who, dare I say, is radically individualistic.

I honestly hate when Neil bitches about religion and conformity as if he's an angsty teen in the punk era. It ruins the intellectual he is. I wish he would actually write profound things instead of just rehashing atheism and 'f**k the man"

CA is a very mediocre album. i always said that. Even when CA fever was running rampant.

Awful Prouduction

Patchy songs

WAY to long of an album.......just goes on and on.......and o and on, lol

Mick

• Like 4

CA is a very mediocre album. i always said that. Even when CA fever was running rampant.

Awful Prouduction

Patchy songs

Mick

Finally someone agrees. The Garden is trash tier. WAAAAY too overrated. The only good songs on CA are Caravan, Clockwork Angels, Carnies & Headlong Flight. Everything else is a miss. And from the list of "good songs" only Caravan is great

• Like 1

Awful Prouduction

Patchy songs

Mick

Finally someone agrees. The Garden is trash tier. WAAAAY too overrated. The only good songs on CA are Caravan, Clockwork Angels, Carnies & Headlong Flight. Everything else is a miss. And from the list of "good songs" only Caravan is great

oh i was one of the few in a tiny group that disliked CA in 2012. you would have thought it was the 2nd coming

Trust me CA hasn't gotten better with age, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

Awful Prouduction

Patchy songs

Mick

oh i was one of the few in a tiny group that disliked CA in 2012. you would have thought it was the 2nd coming

Mick

:LOL: It was. :LOL:

• Like 1

Awful Prouduction

Patchy songs

Mick

Mick

:LOL: It was. :LOL:

:laughing guy: :laughing guy:

people got Legit furious if you didn't like this freakin' thing.

It was a harsh intro to this forum, lol

Mick

• Like 2

It's a wonderful record that is better than everything before it until Power Windows.

Had it been released right after Moving Pictures it'd be considered a masterpiece.

Except for Neil's shitty lyrics.

I don't have any issues with the lyrics. Agree with you...the best album since Power Windows.

I liked/still like CA. I admit it's a long album. And I rarely listen all the way through. But with the exception of the title track, Halo Effect (which I never liked), Wish Them Well and BU2B2, I still listen fairly regularly to the songs when I spin latter era Rush. BU2B is a good solid track. Also really like Caravan, Carnies, Headlong Flight and The Garden. Seven Cities of Gold is strong too.
  • Like 1

These are some of Neil’s most straightforward lyrics he’s ever written. Truthfully it’s the last song I thought I’d see discussed on a forum to discuss itt’s meaning. I love the lyrics. Yes it’s been beaten to death, but it’s got a tongue in cheek, sarcastic tone to it that works well. There’s no head scratching lines. While our loving watchmaker loves us all to death is one of my favorite lines
  • Like 1

Each human has their own interpretation of this song! It's quite simple for me and it's on my license plate!

BU2BYYZ!

While everyone on the planet back in 1981 was falling in love with "Tom Sawyer" as a very young drummer I fell in love instantly with YYZ!

So decades later here is sit. Typing the same old lovely shit.

I truly was Brought up to believe YYZ!

It's part of my Universal Plan.

As long as you pronounce it Y-Y-ZED

;) (lobs grenade and runs for cover|)

Christ on a Bike, the man even bores the tits off Atheists now......

Before you know it the nihilists will start questioning what divine asshole conceived Neil

How come Lee never gets any shit on this forum regarding the lyrics? In pretty much every interview I've seen in which he talks about the writing process, he talks about it being, at least to some extent, a collaborative process. Peart might generate the lyrics, but Lee has to accept/believe them and he may also tweak the phrasing of lines to make them easier to articulate. In this case, the lyrics may have been left more or less alone because of the structure that Peart was trying to maintain, but still - the other guys agreed to use them.

Also, why do people keep crapping on the guy for writing what he believes? There are a hell of a lot more worse lyricists who promote ideas they believe in. If anything, the institution of religion might be an easy target for a lyricist - there is tons of abuse; there is hypocricy and, let's face it, "faith" is just not a concept that works for some people, especially if it can be so easily subverted to satisfy the whims of the corrupt.

There are some thoughtful lines here that do not always state the obvious - "the price of what we're winning is the same as what we've lost" - I don't mind vaguely riddling lines like this one, which is pretty much of the same calibre as "plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose."

How come Lee never gets any shit on this forum regarding the lyrics? In pretty much every interview I've seen in which he talks about the writing process, he talks about it being, at least to some extent, a collaborative process. Peart might generate the lyrics, but Lee has to accept/believe them and he may also tweak the phrasing of lines to make them easier to articulate. In this case, the lyrics may have been left more or less alone because of the structure that Peart was trying to maintain, but still - the other guys agreed to use them.

Also, why do people keep crapping on the guy for writing what he believes? There are a hell of a lot more worse lyricists who promote ideas they believe in. If anything, the institution of religion might be an easy target for a lyricist - there is tons of abuse; there is hypocricy and, let's face it, "faith" is just not a concept that works for some people, especially if it can be so easily subverted to satisfy the whims of the corrupt.

There are some thoughtful lines here that do not always state the obvious - "the price of what we're winning is the same as what we've lost" - I don't mind vaguely riddling lines like this one, which is pretty much of the same calibre as "plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose."

How come?....

The laziness of not thinking more deeply.

The convenience of blaming just Peart because his name is attached...even though we all know Geddy proofread and edited when he felt necessary

• Like 1

I second what somebody else said years ago on this thread. I liked Neil's lyrics way better in the era pre-Vapor Trails before he came across as a cynical cranky-pants. I understand and sympathize WHY he changed (age and personal experiences) but I still don't enjoy the songs much

Up there with spirit of radio and tom sawyer as my fav short rush track is that good for me was genuinely something very different and edgy even for this band

Standouts for me were a subtle crackling guitar from Al in background accompanied by Ged's sublime keyboards and whose bass never sounded like anything else, like an animal, more like a lead guitar in part, just the coolest this band ever get, really showed the kids how it's done.

Remember spending months just immersed in BU2B alone with Caravan. We had a glorious summer at the time, very happy days indeed.

Remember thinking, not because right or wrong, that the track could even be Satanic - not saying it is, just it felt more interesting to view it that way, for effect. :)