Religion Forum, why isn't there one?

Fordgalaxy

There’s nothing more boring than religious discussions. They’re even worse than polls. ;)

...and nothing gets people pissed off quicker than someone challenging their beliefs.

People often treat their beliefs as untouchable if they have religious roots. As if challenging them isn't allowed. It's not very suitable for debate lol

That my friend is the most dangerous aspect of religion. It entertains the thought of "what I believe is right! & what you believe is wrong!" That thought pattern the spark that starts the fire. I prefer to consider myself spiritual. I do embrace the teachings of Jesus Christ and honestly try to follow them but myself often fail but I do keep trying. More often than not I am baffeled how easily his wonderful views of how we are really supposed to be towards each other are so often twisted and realigned to be about everything they're not. Most people do not even realize Jesus was sent to us to free us from religion! On a personal note the feelings I have for my lord and Savior were not beat or forced on me in any way. They spawened from multiple personal experiences and visions that for me connected all the dots. It does not mean that the way I was "enlightened" will be the same for everyone. That is why I always try to share, not preach or look down upon someone who has not yet reached a point in their life where all the dots can clearly be connected even if dramatically different from the way my dots connect.

May God Bless ALL of you and continue to do so! :angel:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 2

There’s nothing more boring than religious discussions. They’re even worse than polls. ;)

...and nothing gets people pissed off quicker than someone challenging their beliefs.

People often treat their beliefs as untouchable if they have religious roots. As if challenging them isn't allowed. It's not very suitable for debate lol

whatwouldmakeyouchangeyourmindsciencevsreligion.jpg

whatwouldmakeyouchangeyourmindsciencevsreligion.jpg

I realize they debated, but Nye's lost credibility, no longer worth the title of "man of science".

• Like 1

Especially when they have no factual basis for their beliefs but they're afraid to step away from it.

And that's the crux of why religion forums don't work. The issue of faith vs. fact. I can very easily accept that I can't PROVE my beliefs, yet because of the personal experiences I've had, I still choose to believe. In my experience, it's been the atheists who are unwilling to step away.

...and thus that creates the 'fence sitters' called agnostics such as myself. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. Live a good moral life and you'll find out eventually.

Begin away from religion quite some time, I find that they play the 'boogieman in the closet' theory when addressing non-believers. And I refuse to buy into that unsubstantiated threat.

And how much war and crap goes on in the world because someone thinks 'my god is right and your god is wrong'?

Oops sorry...I triggered a religious debate.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

There was an article in our local paper today about a new Mormon temple in Meridian, ID and they talked about how opulent these things are. Italian marble floors. Hand made stained glass and huge crystal chandeliers. I wonder how much good could be done with the millions or billions of dollars spent on these places that no non-Mormon, and not even some Mormons, can go into after it's been cleansed? They claim it's sacred, the stuff that goes on in there, but to the rest of the world, it's secret and kind of cult-like.

It all comes about because Mormons are urged to give as much as they think they can afford to reach that celestial level of their heaven, yet many of them live paycheck to paycheck. That's not exclusive to Mormonism, but in other religions, they pretty much stick to the 10% rule because they only have one heaven to reach and the amount of giving isn't tied to reaching it.

• Like 2

There was an article in our local paper today about a new Mormon temple in Meridian, ID and they talked about how opulent these things are. Italian marble floors. Hand made stained glass and huge crystal chandeliers. I wonder how much good could be done with the millions or billions of dollars spent on these places that no non-Mormon, and not even some Mormons, can go into after it's been cleansed? They claim it's sacred, the stuff that goes on in there, but to the rest of the world, it's secret and kind of cult-like.

It all comes about because Mormons are urged to give as much as they think they can afford to reach that celestial level of their heaven, yet many of them live paycheck to paycheck. That's not exclusive to Mormonism, but in other religions, they pretty much stick to the 10% rule because they only have one heaven to reach and the amount of giving isn't tied to reaching it.

There's all sorts of wrong there. If I thought for one second that you were interested in a good faith discussion about the actual truth about LDS doctrine, I'd discuss it with you. But judging by your posts in the past, it's not worth the time.

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 1

There's all sorts of wrong there. If I thought for one second that you were interested in a good faith discussion about the actual truth, I'd discuss it with you. But judging by your posts in the past, it's not worth the time.

I'm basing that info on articles from newspapers or elsewhere and talking to former Mormons and personal experience. Having been in a Mormon Temple, I can attest to the opulence that is in there. Carpet so thick it's like walking on a Tempurpedic mattress. Marble everywhere. Stained glass all over the place. Very heavy wooden doors with gold fixtures and lots of other high cost items. And that was only the places they let us see. Who knows what the rest of it is like.

This article outlines how much the Mormon church is worth and it's in the billions of dollars. Some of their temples are on par with the gaudiest of the Catholic and Scientology buildings. The difference is, anyone can go into a Catholic facility so in that respect, the Mormons are closer to Scientology.

• Like 1

There's all sorts of wrong there. If I thought for one second that you were interested in a good faith discussion about the actual truth, I'd discuss it with you. But judging by your posts in the past, it's not worth the time.

I'm basing that info on articles from newspapers or elsewhere and talking to former Mormons and personal experience. Having been in a Mormon Temple, I can attest to the opulence that is in there. Carpet so thick it's like walking on a Tempurpedic mattress. Marble everywhere. Stained glass all over the place. Very heavy wooden doors with gold fixtures and lots of other high cost items. And that was only the places they let us see. Who knows what the rest of it is like.

This article outlines how much the Mormon church is worth and it's in the billions of dollars. Some of their temples are on par with the gaudiest of the Catholic and Scientology buildings. The difference is, anyone can go into a Catholic facility so in that respect, the Mormons are closer to Scientology.

Still not sure what your point is. So the temples are nice. I've been in many. I prefer San Diego myself. I was married in Palmyra. I little smaller, but still beautiful. Provo, Ogden and West Jordan are more workhorse temples. Los Angeles looks like an old bank or something. Very peaceful places. You should get your recommend and visit one again.