Which celebrity deaths affected you the most in 2017?

treeduck

Celebrity death poll  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which celebrity deaths affected you the most in 2017?

• Roger Moore
    • Martin Landau
    • John Hurt
    • Jerry Lewis
    • Harry Dean Stanton
    • Chuck Berry
    • Allan Holdsworth
    • Mary Tyler Moore
    • John Wetton
    • Adam West
    • Jake Lamotta
    • Glenn Campbell
    • Powers Boothe
    • Richard Hatch
    • Tom Petty
    • Tobe Hooper
    • George A. Romero
    • William Peter Blatty
    • Jonathan Demme
    • Sam Shepard
    • John Heard
    • Michael Parks
    • Richard Anderson
    • Jared Martin
    • Chuck Barris
    • Hugh Hefner
    • Stephen Furst
    • Chuck Loeb
    • Bruce Forsyth
    • Miguel Ferrer
    • Bill Paxton
    • Robert Hardy
    • Peter Sallis
    • Walter Becker
    • Gregg Allman
    • J Geils
    • Sonny Landham
    • Richard Hatch
    • Don Rickles
    • Clifton James
  2. 2. Which celebrity death was the most shocking and unexpected?

• Bill Paxton
    • Miguel Ferrer
    • Erin Moran
    • Chris Cornell
    • Chester Bennington
    • Tom Petty
    • John Wetton
    • Allan Holdsworth
  3. 3. Is the 2017 celebrity death toll as bad as 2016?

• Yes it's as bad as last year
    • No last years was insane
    • This year is even worse

The first question is multiple choice so you don't have to restrict yourself to one person

Here's a few of the names:

Roger Moore

Martin Landau

John Hurt

Jerry Lewis

Harry Dean Stanton

Bruce Forsyth (didn't he do well?)

Robert Hardy

Mary Tyler Moore

Jeanne Moreau

Chuck Berry

Allan Holdsworth

John Wetton

Tom Petty

Adam West

Glenn Campbell

Powers Boothe

Miguel Ferrer

Bill Paxton

Richard Hatch

Sonny Landham

Don Rickles

Clifton James

George A. Romero

Tobe Hooper

William Peter Blatty

Jonathan Demme

Jake Lamotta

Larry Coryell

Gregg Allman

Walter Becker (Steely Dan)

J Geils

Sam Shepard

John Heard

Michael Parks

Richard Anderson (Oscar Goldman Six Million Dollar Man)

Jared Martin

Mike Connors (Mannix)

Tim Pigott-Smith

Liz Dawn

Chuck Barris

Jay Thomas

Stephen Furst (the geek from Animal House)

Chuck Loeb (Fourplay guitarist)

Erin Moran

Daliah Lavi (Matt Helm film actress)

Molly Peters (Thunderball actress)

Barbara Hale

Lola Albright

Dina Merill

Roger Smith

John Noakes (Blue Peter)

Gordon Kaye

Frank Pellegrino

Colin Dexter (Inspector Morse author)

Michael Bond (Paddington Bear author)

Bernard Pomerance (Elephant Man author)

Chris Cornell

Chester Bennington

Kathleen Crowley

Roy Barraclough (Alec Gilroy)

Lord Snowdon

Elsa Martinelli (Indian Fighter actress with Kirk Douglas)

Graham Taylor (Do I not like orange!)

Robert James Waller

Harvey Atkin (Cagney and Lacey)

Deborah Watling (Dr Who assistant (1968-69)

Elena Verdugo

Terry Downes (boxer)

Eroll Christie (boxer)

Ann Beach

Ty Hardin

Joe Robinson (wrestler/Diamonds are Forever actor)

David Rockerfeller

Manuel Noriega

Tomas Milian

Leonard Landy (Our Gang)

Thomas Meehan (writer)

Syd Silverman (publisher owner of Variety from 1950-1987)

Chelsea Brown

Charlie Murphy (Eddie Murphy's brother)

Linda Hopkins (singer)

Edited by treeduck

Petty

Cornell

Shepherd - Close to home since I went to the same college he went to And years later at a different college played the lead role for a theater assignment in a play he wrote.

Demme - Something Wild is my favorite romcom of all time.

Becker

Hurt

Stanton

Romero - Creepshow is my favorite 80s horror movie.

West - I’m a MST3K nut so I have to pay props to the star of Zombie Nightmare.

None of them affected me at all.

I guess I should amend that. I had to spend 10 minutes during the Yankee game last night refreshing 2 Tom Petty songs that we decided to throw into the setlist this weekend.

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 1

Not to be cold but none affected me but a few surprised me for sure. Petty and Becker came outta nowhere. I was a big Roger Moore (Bond) fan as well but he lived a long and I assume a pretty good life. One can't ask for much more than that...
  • Like 2

Ducky, it seems you're way ahead of your time, or the rest of the world is far behind your time. :wacko:

Don't forget that we're nearing December... and anything can (still) happen... :(

signed

Ivan and NEP

• Like 1

Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington aren't on the first list, so this voting is f***ed.

Is this some sort of sick VIP section? f**k that.

Yeah, how are those two not on the first list? Cornell's death is easily the one that affected me the most. Not only as a long time fan but how he died was so unexpected and left some questions as to what really happened.

• Like 3

Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington aren't on the first list, so this voting is f***ed.

Yeah, how are those two not on the first list? Cornell's death is easily the one that affected me the most. Not only as a long time fan but how he died was so unexpected and left some questions as to what really happened.

Cornell's was the most shocking for me. When people over 60 die of natural causes, I'm never shocked, especially when they've lived the wild life of a celebrity. But when I guy making a major comeback offs himself in the middle of a tour, the very night he just played a show, it's unsettling. Cornell's death shed light on the darker side of everyday human existence and the sadness of mental illness.
  • Like 3

Cornell's was the most shocking for me. When people over 60 die of natural causes, I'm never shocked, especially when they've lived the wild life of a celebrity. But when I guy making a major comeback offs himself in the middle of a tour, the very night he just played a show, it's unsettling. Cornell's death shed light on the darker side of everyday human existence and the sadness of mental illness.

I nearly went to Soundgarden's last show. That rattled my rusty cage.
  • Like 1

Glen Campbell. Not only was he a hell of a songwriter and guitarist, but his story really hit me hard.

Having recently lost a close relative to Alzheimer's, I was really saddened to learn that he had gone through the same. I was actually moved to tears hearing a recording of one his last songs, "I'm not gonna miss you", which I hadn't heard before.

I'm still here, but yet I'm gone

I don't play guitar or sing my songs

They never defined who I am

The man that loves you 'til the end

You're the last person I will love

You're the last face I will recall

And best of all, I'm not gonna miss you

Not gonna miss you

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

But yeah, Chis hit me like a ton of bricks, Chester troubled me even deeper, and Petty nearly brought me to tears.

Chris and Chester though, my dear goodness, one's music had just helped propel me though some distinctly grueling and difficult times in college, and the other's new music had made me doubt the legitimacy of the band's art in the first place. I solemnly found a lot of new perspective on both of their catalogues after they passed. I'm still infuriated we missed Chester. He was so young, he was one of the leading musical voices of my generation, if not basically the leading one. You'd have thought the signs were obvious. Long and difficult history of mental illness and resulting drinking/drug abuse, years of lyrical references (or just plan narratives) to his own mental illness and depression, and a sudden change to a popier (nicer) tone on the new album while still bearing and brawling with demons in his lyrics. The way his voice breaks in Heavy, it sounds as if the strength of voice he was always celebrated for had dissipated, he's struggling even to sing about his pains anymore. He was good friends with Chris. He was obviously very deeply affected by Chris' suicide. He sang at Chris' funeral for goodness sake.

In retrospect, you'd have just though maybe everyone would've thought to keep a closer eye on him, but somehow we were all oblivious.

• Like 2

I felt quite sad on the passing of John Noakes and of John Wetton. In their different ways, Blue Peter and Asia were important parts of my childhood.

I'm not sure why Don Rickles was one of them. Maybe it was because I eventually saw the human side to him in an interview. As for Tom Petty I grew up with his songs on the radio. J. Geils Band was my first rock concert so J. Geils death is worth mentioning for me. Roger Moore was the first James Bond I knew. I was always a big prog fan including King Crimson, UK and Asia so losing John Wetton was especially tough for me. Allan Holdsorth was(and still is)a true guitar god and one of the great fusion guitarists of all time so that was also rough. There you have it. I hope there's no more big names to be added to this list.
  • Like 1

The death of Tom Petty knocked me sideways. I just couldn’t (still can’t) come to terms with the idea of him being gone. Too young. Too vital. His music seemed to always be there somewhere in the background. I played the Wilburys at my husband’s memorial service. Yes there are other names on that list which are important but none like him

There's only 40 options allowed that's why.

Glen Campbell. Not only was he a hell of a songwriter and guitarist, but his story really hit me hard.

Having recently lost a close relative to Alzheimer's, I was really saddened to learn that he had gone through the same. I was actually moved to tears hearing a recording of one his last songs, "I'm not gonna miss you", which I hadn't heard before.

I'm still here, but yet I'm gone

I don't play guitar or sing my songs

They never defined who I am

The man that loves you 'til the end

You're the last person I will love

You're the last face I will recall

And best of all, I'm not gonna miss you

Not gonna miss you

You and me both. I loved Glen Campbell when I was a child. I was really moved by the documentary about him as well. Alzheimer's is a terrible illness and very sad for the person's family.

• Like 1

Petty’s and Cornell’s saddened me the most as a fan of music and for being unexpected as well.

Sure I don’t know any of these people personally, but thankfully that is not the only threshold for feeling sorrow either. Have never understood this perspective myself, but truly an ass for every seat.

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 2