• Sister Rosetta Tharpe
  • Link Wray
  • The Zombies

My personal 'who the f**k are these people?' list include:

The Meters

Nina Simone

Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Link Wray

I think it's really idiotic that Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy and King Crimson are not among nominees yet, but it's good to see Judas Priest and Dire Straits are!

Edited by Texas King
  • Like 4

Shame on them for no Soundgarden just after Cornell dies and since he inducted Heart in 2013. Then again, Cornell, Bennington and George Michael didn’t make the cover of Rolling Stone with their death and with Michael Jackson’s daughter on the cover instead of the latter so I’m not surprised. What a big slap in the face. f**k you, Jann Wenner. Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

Shame on them for no Soundgarden just after Cornell dies and since he inducted Heart in 2013. Then again, Cornell, Bennington and George Michael didn’t make the cover of Rolling Stone with their death and with Michael Jackson’s daughter on the cover instead of the latter so I’m not surprised. What a big slap in the face. f**k you, Jann Wenner.

When you look at some of the bands on the list who still haven't made it in yet like Priest, Moody Blues, Dire Straits and The Cars. I have no problem with them holding off Soungarden's nomination for a few years. They should certainly get in at some point.

• Like 3

Here's the 2017 RRHOF nominees:

• Bon Jovi
  • Kate Bush
  • The Cars
  • Depeche Mode
  • Dire Straits
  • Eurythmics
  • J. Geils Band
  • Judas Priest
  • LL Cool J
  • MC5
  • The Meters
  • Moody Blues
  • Radiohead
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
  • Nina Simone
  • Sister Rosetta Tharpe
  • Link Wray
  • The Zombies

The Meters

Nina Simone

Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Link Wray

Bon Jovi

The Cars

Radiohead

Rage Against The Machine

The Moody Blues

Judas Priest

Dire Straits

J Geils Band

are the obvious choices, and LL Cool J is fine considering they have to add to their rap section (though that shouldn't really be a thing in the first place but whatever). Undoubtably they'll somehow leave out a really significant name in place of like, The Meters or something.

What do they pick like five?

Ugh, if I can only choose 5, Bon Jovi, The Moody Blues, Judas Priest, The Cars and Radiohead should get in.

• Like 2

Link Wray was a guitar master, as was Rosetta Tharpe- they do merit consideration. Simone- c'mon. She's a huge star.

The Meters brought the funk before it was commonly brought. The Neville brothers were members.

• Like 3

Here's the 2017 RRHOF nominees:

• Bon Jovi
  • Kate Bush
  • The Cars
  • Depeche Mode
  • Dire Straits
  • Eurythmics
  • J. Geils Band
  • Judas Priest
  • LL Cool J
  • MC5
  • The Meters
  • Moody Blues
  • Radiohead
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
  • Nina Simone
  • Sister Rosetta Tharpe
  • Link Wray
  • The Zombies

The Meters

Nina Simone

Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Link Wray

Bon Jovi

The Cars

Radiohead

Rage Against The Machine

The Moody Blues

Judas Priest

Dire Straits

J Geils Band

are the obvious choices, and LL Cool J is fine considering they have to add to their rap section (though that shouldn't really be a thing in the first place but whatever). Undoubtably they'll somehow leave out a really significant name in place of like, The Meters or something.

What do they pick like five?

Ugh, if I can only choose 5, Bon Jovi, The Moody Blues, Judas Priest, The Cars and Radiohead should get in.

I'm very happy if Bon Jovi and The Cars get in ... I don't have too strong of feelings either way about any of the rest of the list ... be nice to see Judas Priest also I guess

My picks.

• The Cars
  • Moody Blues
  • Radiohead

I agree that Maiden and Soundgarden should get in, at some point.

The Moody Blues have a tremendous legacy, and you don't need to look too hard to find premium prog in their early days. Of the bands on that list, they may be the 'biggest' act in terms of sales and sheer mass of material they've released over the years.

The Cars will eventually get in on popularity alone.

Radiohead is likewise very popular, commercially successful, and have been alt rock genre leaders for quite some time. They're also the band on the list I like the most.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2

I don't accept bands with a low number of albums.

The cars - 6 albums

Rag against the machine - 4 albums

Cmon man. Rush did 4 albums in about 3 years.

Bon Jovi and Depeche Mode are my faves on this list

I don't accept bands with a low number of albums.

The cars - 6 albums

Rag against the machine - 4 albums

Cmon man. Rush did 4 albums in about 3 years.

In the case of those two bands it's about impact and sales not how prolific they were. Both bands had huge hits and sold millions.

Bon Jovi and Depeche Mode are my faves on this list

Both should get in. Thirty something years into their careers and both bands are still very popular and can fill arenas.

Voted for:

Judas Priest

The Moody Blues

Dire Straits

The Cars

Bon Jovi

It pained me to not vote for Kate Bush, just the other names are bigger, especially in North America.

Who I think will get in:

Rage Against The Machine (Morello, next to Dave Grohl is ubiquitous at all these functions)

LL Cool J (because rap, but I do like his early stuff)

Moody Blues (prog nod)

The Cars (same vein as Cheap Trick and Journey for a late 70's/early 80's FM rock name)

Radiohead (to fill the 90's critical darling slot)

For those not in the know just watch Pulp Fiction as Link Wray's "Rumble" is featured during the Jack Rabbit Slims scene.

Edited by yyzjam

Link Wray was a rock and roll guitarist who was very popular in the 50s and 60s and Nina Simone was huge in the blues and jazz genre.

I am surprised Link Wray has not made it in yet.

I bet the Cars finally get in and Geils may too on account of J's death.

• Like 2

I want Kate Bush to get in but I'm not optimistic about it. Same with Priest. Weirdly enough, I think Nina Simone has a better chance to get in than those two combined.

I'd be very surprised if Radiohead and/or RATM doesn't get in, but then again, I thought NIN was a definite when they got nominated a few years back but alas got the pink slip from Jann Weenie Wenner and co.

This is tough. I'll choose 5 based on who I think has had the most impact on other bands and society and seniority will matter.

A bunch of these arguably still could make this and I by no means am confident I'd choose the same five tomorrow.

I have to include the MC5- That Detroit scene had a massive impact on the whole of punk and rock and they predate the Stooges.

Nina Simone is iconic. I personally don't own any of her work, but I can't deny her relevance- she deserves this.

Link Wray influenced every early rock guitarist and is way overdue.

Judas Priest has had an impact on metal that can't be denied or ignored- not a band I listen to much but this is about more than me.

The last spot is incredibly tough. I'm ruling out bands now based on seniority and how they match up against their peers who are already in. Tomorrow this pick could be different, but for right now I'm putting in the Cars. Apologies to Dire Straits, Rage, Depeche, Moody, and the rest.

LL had fame, but there are a lot of rap artists I'd put in ahead of him. Rosetta is awesome but the Hall can't have everyone. She's getting the respect now that she should have had long ago, but I feel like the impact she should have had never happened. Still, no complaints if they choose her.