When Neil Hashed Out A Business Deal With Ozzy

Geddyleegenes

So I read Martin Popoff's "Rush: Album By Album". The book is one big opinion. Well, many opinions from many people. There are some interesting comments here and there and some interesting stories. Quite often though, I found myself thinking, "These guys don't know what they're talking about." (And yes, I acknowledge that this is just my opinion.)

And just who are "these guys"? Sure there are some well known names like Mike Portnoy and Ian Grandy. For a lot of them though, I had no idea who they were because, unfortunately, there is no introduction for any of them. But there is an "outro"-duction. An "About The Interviewees" (or opinion-givers) is hidden at the back of the book. I had already read the entire thing before I discovered the outro-ductions.

While the book does go "album by album", that doesn't mean that it goes song by song. In fact, a number of songs disappointingly get no mention at all. Also, oddly enough, one of the opinion-givers doesn't really seem to actually like Rush very much. (I won't divulge the name. It is just my opinion and perhaps others would think completely otherwise.)

Possibly the most interesting non-opinion but instead "interesting story" of all comes from Rush's roadie, Ian Grandy. From their time in Wales, recording "Hemispheres", it seems the guys and crew had finished up for the day and were enjoying a nice supper when there came a knock at the door. Neil answered the door and as Grandy tells it, "this incredibly decrepit-looking guy is at the door." Turns out, it was Ozzy Osbourne. He mumbled something to Neil after which Neil proceeded to (as my ever-so-clever topic title above puts it) "hash out" a deal with Ozzy.

Is this book a "must have". In my opinion, no. I checked it out from a nearby library with the intention that I might then purchase it if I thought it worth it. Perhaps I'll just check it out from the library again in a few years.

• Like 2