The Cure

Permanent-Rush

They are whiny and boring. Figure.

get ur f***ing hate outta here my dood and let us fans discuss them. No need to bring hate to a band that does not need it.

Whiny and boring. Figure.

stop it seriosuly, u are doing nothing but spreading hate and nonsese that is not needed.

Whiny and boring.

As are The Cure.

Why are you being such a dick?

well .. if you haven't got one, you usually are one

Says the stalker...

I will chime in now and say something.

The Cure were the soundtrack to years of abuse. I found comfort and solace in them, and I used to be able to cry out to them when nothing else could break me down. They were a release, a powerful tonic.

And the album I was most touched by was Disintegration. Which could be my favourite album of all time if only I was able to still play it.

But I cannot. I hear just a note off of that album and I relapse into some of the darkest and most vicious memories that I otherwise sink deep inside.

I love The Cure passionately. Truly I do. But the connection to my past is so strong its left me unable to enjoy them. Which is deeply saddening for me.

Segue, this hits home with me, and if I may, I want to relate something that helped me with a similar situation ..

While I fully understand how music can be forever linked to events and moments in life ( I am big on that ), this one isn't about music, but all the same, I found this very helpful ..

( long winded story ahead )

A couple of years ago, it was the middle of July and the air conditioner in my Mom's home stopped working .. And because we were in the middle of a heat wave, so many of the stores nearby were sold out of AC units ... I looked online as some of the bigger home and appliance centers have an updated inventory, and I found a store about 25 minutes away that had some AC units in stock ..

My younger sis stayed with out Mom, and my older sis and I head out for the AC ..

So my sis and I drive to Hackettstown, NJ on a trek for this AC ... and directly across from the place that had the AC was a wonderful Italian restaurant called, ironically, "Mama's" .. I had heard a lot about Mama's Restaurant as it was one of the only Italian restaurants I was aware of that had a full gluten free pasta menu ...

Anyways, we went to the store across the way and bought the AC, but at that time, we needed to get home ASAP with the AC for Mom, and we didn't have time to stop to try the food ... but my sis and I took note of Mama's Restaurant and vowed that soon enough, we would come back and eat at Mama's some night in the near future ..

Sadly, we never got that chance, as my sis died very unexpectedly a few months later ..

Every time someone would mention that restaurant, or, if for whatever reason I was in the area and drove by, a flood of horror and sadness would come over me -- the restaurant was not only a reminder of the fun my sis and I had on the AC goose chase, but of course, it was a sobering slap in the face that I would never get the chance to do ANYTHING with my sis again ..

So about a year ago, out of the blue one night after work, I asked my Mom and younger sis if they would like some take out for dinner .. I would drive up to Mama's Restaurant and get food for the three of us - begin something new - turn those sad memories and that dread into something positive and something to look forward to ..

So every Monday for months and months, I would drive up to Mama's Restaurant and get dinner for the three of us ... Of course, while I was in the car, I would think of my sis who we lost - and even though she was not physically sitting in the car, she was there with me and it was our way of finally going together ..

So whenever I thought about or saw Mama's Restaurant, I had replaced the terrible reminder and memory with positive and happy memories ..

As hard as it might seem, listening to The Cure when you are in good company and feeling happy might help to change how you associate them ... Over time, The Cure will come to mean something completely different to you if you can manage to attach them to positive and current happiness ..

They might also represent your strength and your ability to overcome ...... Instead of The Cure reminding you of when you suffered abuse, The Cure might become the soundtrack of your ability to enjoy what you love and the strength that you have shown ..

I have been on a bit of a journey this year and started a serious relationship for the first time in years. Its been odd amd unexpected but really mesmerising too. To be liked for more than my looks. Its been everything I never assumed I could have.

And it meant challenging a lot of my fears based on the past. Turning my body from beinf a toy to something capable of being loved. It sounds strange but your story reminds me so much of my relationship with my own body. Ive always been desired but was never able to imagine being cared for. But someone changed that and its been amazing.

As for The Cure, I would like to hope so. I think it could be possible. It used to be my go to album, Disintegration, every time someone would hurt me. The sad thing is every time I hear any moment of that album the faces come back. I remember no names, rarely knew where I was when it happened, but I remember every face, every touch and every scream. Its terrifying. Like being possessed. I am truly grateful to that album but I have to accept it might do more harm than good to listen to it. I actually tried today and did quite well but I made sure it was background music. But then it just didn't help.

Amazingly music by Lacuna Coil and AFI remain fine to me. Its mostly that album and Smiths voice.

But yeah music is powerful. In many ways Springsteen filled the void left by The Cure.

• Like 3

get ur f***ing hate outta here my dood and let us fans discuss them. No need to bring hate to a band that does not need it.

stop it seriosuly, u are doing nothing but spreading hate and nonsese that is not needed.

Whiny and boring.

As are The Cure.

Says the stalker...

Interesting choice of words coming from a guy pushing 60 who gets his kicks trolling 16 year olds on the internet

• Like 1

Whiny and boring.

As are The Cure.

Says the stalker...

Interesting choice of words coming from a guy pushing 60 who gets his kicks trolling 16 year olds on the internet

Oooooooooooooooooo BURN! Ahaha Nice one Lucas! :LOL:

Edited by Permanent-Rush
  • Like 1

Liked them in college,

I've grown out of them, I listened to them 20 years ago.

Some memorable songs: A Forest, Play for Today, One Hundred Years, A Strange Day, The Walk, 10:15 Saturday Night, The Caterpillar, Speak My Language, Close to Me, Torture. Liked the baselines, and of course Simon Gallup.

I can still get my hair like theirs and I don't even have to try.

Trip down memory lane...

• Like 1

I love their early stuff, but I am also a sucker for 'Just Like Heaven'- one of the very few romantic songs that I simply love.

But the early stuff- first album material and such, is fantastic. I'm also a big Siouxsie fan, and when Robert worked with them during an early Cure hiatus- that might be the Banshees best material overall.

• Like 1

My favorite song right now is Cut Here and my least favorite right now is Killing An Arab. I love a lot of there work and I think they are criminally underrated as f**k. They deserve more fans tbh and love. :heart:

You're the only one who thinks that, The Cure are legends or at least they are to basically everyone I've ever known who knows anything about music at all. Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 1

I will chime in now and say something.

The Cure were the soundtrack to years of abuse. I found comfort and solace in them, and I used to be able to cry out to them when nothing else could break me down. They were a release, a powerful tonic.

And the album I was most touched by was Disintegration. Which could be my favourite album of all time if only I was able to still play it.

But I cannot. I hear just a note off of that album and I relapse into some of the darkest and most vicious memories that I otherwise sink deep inside.

I love The Cure passionately. Truly I do. But the connection to my past is so strong its left me unable to enjoy them. Which is deeply saddening for me.

Pretty much this and DT's Awake album for me. Helped me get through a tough divorce so now it's hard not to think about it whenever I listen to it again.

• Like 1

My favorite song right now is Cut Here and my least favorite right now is Killing An Arab. I love a lot of there work and I think they are criminally underrated as f**k. They deserve more fans tbh and love. :heart:

You're the only one who thinks that, The Cure are legends or at least they are to basically everyone I've ever known who knows anything about music at all.

It is the truth that they are underrated my dood.

You're the only one who thinks that, The Cure are legends or at least they are to basically everyone I've ever known who knows anything about music at all.

It is the truth that they are underrated my dood.

Perhaps for your generation it's the truth but for mine, they're the legends that DD is talking about. They were especially a big deal in the 80s and early 90s. They deserve the praise they've gotten and in my lifetime there's been a lot. SOMEHOW though they're not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (or are they and I missed it?). They've been eligible for at least a decade by now.

• Like 1

Nothing underrated about The Cure. One of the most celebrated and influential bands to emerge from the UK.

Seriously maybe a child finds them underrated but I don't think anyone 25 or over will struggle to name or recognise a song amd enjoy it.

They are damn famous and really...you say "goth" you think "Robert Smith".

• Like 1

Nothing underrated about The Cure. One of the most celebrated and influential bands to emerge from the UK.

Seriously maybe a child finds them underrated but I don't think anyone 25 or over will struggle to name or recognise a song amd enjoy it.

Actually a lot of my instagram followers say they are underrated. Yeah if ur a goth they might be a bit known, but there are way more bands I can name that are more known than The Cure, seriously. They are underrated trust me.

Edited by Permanent-Rush

Actually a lot of my instagram followers say they are underrated. Yeah if ur a goth they might be a bit known, but there are way more bands I can name that are more known than The Cure, seriously. They are underrated trust me.

I've been a fan longer than you have been alive so trust me, I know a bit more than you and your instagram followers.

• Like 1

I think there is a difference between being underrated and having a cult following. A band can have a cult following that still is huge; it doesn't have to be just a small group of people (though a lot of times, it is).

Geddy Lee has described Rush as one of the biggest (or I think he said THE biggest) cult band in the world. And I maybe think of the Cure along the same lines. Their fan base is definitely a niche group. But they are legion, and extremely dedicated.

That doesn't mean that they can't be critically acclaimed, and sell millions of albums, which they are, and have.

Underrated may mean 'disregarded', to some extent, by a large part of the populace. But there are still millions of fans of The Cure.

• Like 3