When did Geddy's voice change? When did he begin to sing in a deeper register and get away from the "shrieking" of the early days?

treeduck

When did Geddy's voice change? When did he begin to sing in a deeper register and get away from the "shrieking" of the early days?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. When did Geddy's voice get deeper, and put an end to the banshee screams?

• RUSH - I remember back in 1970 when he REALLY had a high voice
    • Fly By Night - his vocals are tuned down to owl from tweetie bird
    • Caress of Steel - Neil's voice was deep but he needed crap tape effects, Lee had the real deep voice
    • 2112 - You can see that Geddy's balls had dropped in that gay disco outfit he wore on the cover
    • A Farewell to Kings - Clearly his singing is deeper on this record he cracked less than a thousand wine glasses making it
    • Hemispheres - No listen...his voice is really deep on this one, so deep it made Alex's hair curl
    • Permanent Waves - Yes this is the album, he was pretty much crooning on a couple of these tracks
    • Moving Pictures - He sounds like Barry White on this one, I can't believe it's the same band
    • Signals - Ever see the Adams Family? Think of Lurch, Geddy makes him sound like a little girl on this album
    • Grace Under Pressure - By now Geddy's voice cannot be heard by the human ear, it's SO low!
    • Power Windows - You need Power Windows to shut out the low sound waves that shudder through your body from Geddy's 1985 warbling
    • Hold Your Fire - He caused an earthquake in New Zealand while recording this one
    • Presto - I never listened to this one so I have no idea what he did on it
    • Roll the Bones - Geddy did the rap on this for obvious reasons, his voice had finally broken
    • Counterparts - Geddy created grunge with his low tones on this one
    • Test For Echo - They thought it was a Geddy robot at first
    • Vapor Trails - Are there vocals on this one?
    • Snakes & Arrows - Finally Geddy sounds like a man! Unfortunately though a man with no balls!
    • Clockwork Angels - Clockwork Lee was the original title, all you can hear is ticking when he sings because of the low register

Does anyone know if that shriek was his natural range?

I remember Geddy saying in an interview that when he first started singing he was singer in a deeper register but it did not sound good.

I like his 80's and 90's voice a lot better than the 70's one.

If that is so, that he forced himself to sing like that in the seventies, it could have contributed to the deterioration of his voice, especially in light of how often they toured.

I think the shift really showed on Signals. He could still sing all those songs now if he wanted to.

Freewill and Tom Sawyer still have some high pitch moments.

He could never ever do Freewill today. Well, he could, but it would be an utter disaster.

Does anyone know if that shriek was his natural range?

I remember Geddy saying in an interview that when he first started singing he was singer in a deeper register but it did not sound good.

I like his 80's and 90's voice a lot better than the 70's one.

If that is so, that he forced himself to sing like that in the seventies, it could have contributed to the deterioration of his voice, especially in light of how often they toured.

Forcing himself to sing that high definitely hurt his vocal cords after time.

There are stages for me..

i) 2122/ATWAS tour - Peak Banshee wail oh for a pristine audience/soundboard or multi-track from April 1977

ii) PeW things a kicked down a half-notch, the toll of the Hemispheres Tour has been paid but I could be very happy with a Geddy voice circa 1980-1981, no complaints at all

iii) Signals album/tour - this is the clear break. The attack is just not there and the songs reflect that. He can still easily muster up the old Geddy for that verse in Freewill but that is now the exception

iv) P/G-RTB pretty consistent imo a very gradual decline

v) CP/T4E - hmm....

vi) VT-R40 - it is what it is and whatever

• Like 1