Trevor Rabin talks ARW and playing with Geddy

Wil1972

I'm seeing ARW for the second time this tour tomorrow evening. The last show was fantastic and all three members sound great.

I read and interview with Jon and he mentions that ARW are going to record and release new music in 2018. Should be interesting.

• Like 1

Always thought of Rabin as the guy who turned Yes into "Whatever" . . . but I do like a lot of the tunes he wrote or co-wrote.

I like all incarnations of Yes so the Howe/Rabin debate was never a problem to me. However I do think now that Squire has passed, ARW is more akin to Yes now for me. The current official Yes means less to me.

• Like 1

The whole Yes / Trevor Rabin relationship is a strange animal to me. I'm assuming that almost all of 90125 was written by Trevor ahead of time. That being said, I also assume that Chris was able to talk Trevor into recording/releasing these songs as Yes just because of the immediate exposure the music would get (hence more airplay, sales etc. by far than a Rabin solo album would have likely received).

My question is...how can Trevor have any interest whatsoever in playing pre-90125 Yes music nowadays? To me it just doesn't make sense other than he needs to pay off a loan or something.

• Like 2

The whole Yes / Trevor Rabin relationship is a strange animal to me. I'm assuming that almost all of 90125 was written by Trevor ahead of time. That being said, I also assume that Chris was able to talk Trevor into recording/releasing these songs as Yes just because of the immediate exposure the music would get (hence more airplay, sales etc. by far than a Rabin solo album would have likely received).

My question is...how can Trevor have any interest whatsoever in playing pre-90125 Yes music nowadays? To me it just doesn't make sense other than he needs to pay off a loan or something.

Yes in general is a strange beast. I think at this juncture most of the guys past and present have a deep respect for the body of work. And Rabin played pre-90125 songs on the tour for that album, so how would this be different?

As for Squire convincing Rabin to join Yes, the group actually started as a project called Cinema. Then the record company and Chris brought Jon Anderson into it and then the idea of resurrecting Yes came into the conversation. I know Rabin resisted it for a long time. He has said it took some time to become comfortable with the idea, not because he did not want to be in Yes, but because he did not want to be seen as the replacement for Steve Howe.

• Like 3

Yes in general is a strange beast. I think at this juncture most of the guys past and present have a deep respect for the body of work. And Rabin played pre-90125 songs on the tour for that album, so how would this be different?

As for Squire convincing Rabin to join Yes, the group actually started as a project called Cinema. Then the record company and Chris brought Jon Anderson into it and then the idea of resurrecting Yes came into the conversation. I know Rabin resisted it for a long time. He has said it took some time to become comfortable with the idea, not because he did not want to be in Yes, but because he did not want to be seen as the replacement for Steve Howe.

I'm sure it was the "Trevor, you'll save millions of dollars in promoting the new album if you'll just let us release it as Yes." argument. It would have worked on me also.

This many years later, though, I just don't see why he'd still want to play older Yes stuff. Trevor is a great guitarist in his own way but, to a Steve Howe fan, it's kind of like watching Schroeder from Peanuts try to play Karn Evil 9.

All in all, I'm still going to see ARW tomorrow night. I've heard that the set list isn't all that interesting, but I'm not going to look ahead of time. For Trevor's sake, I'm hoping they concentrate on his time period with the band.

• Like 1

I'm sure it was the "Trevor, you'll save millions of dollars in promoting the new album if you'll just let us release it as Yes." argument. It would have worked on me also.

This many years later, though, I just don't see why he'd still want to play older Yes stuff. Trevor is a great guitarist in his own way but, to a Steve Howe fan, it's kind of like watching Schroeder from Peanuts try to play Karn Evil 9.

All in all, I'm still going to see ARW tomorrow night. I've heard that the set list isn't all that interesting, but I'm not going to look ahead of time. For Trevor's sake, I'm hoping they concentrate on his time period with the band.

Howe and Rabin are two different styles. So I think it's unfair to compare them.

• Like 2

Any lovers of the Yes album 'Talk' that came out around 1994? The thing flopped, and I thought it was one of the best things Yes ever did (even from the Howe days). I don't even think it's in print anywhere.

Looking forward to new ARW music. When I saw them in concert, I was surprised how much they gelled. Great show.

Clem

• Like 2

Any lovers of the Yes album 'Talk' that came out around 1994? The thing flopped, and I thought it was one of the best things Yes ever did (even from the Howe days). I don't even think it's in print anywhere.

Looking forward to new ARW music. When I saw them in concert, I was surprised how much they gelled. Great show.

Clem

I still have a copy and I like it. It is IMO an extremely uneven album - some really good stuff and some really drab stuff. The Calling, State of Play, Walls and Endless Dream are all really strong. I think it lacks some of Chris' signature bass moments. But I think that is because it was more a Trevor and Jon album. I think I read that Trevor even recorded a lot of the bass - and synths - himself.

Clem

Talk is an Outstanding album.
  • Like 1