Your bottom 3 Rush albums?

Texas King

Your bottom 3 Rush albums?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Your bottom 3 Rush albums?

2. 2. How do you feel about those 3 albums?

• I still like them, but they are my least faves.
    • I just don't care for them.
    • I don't like them.
    • I hate them!

Rush

Fly By Night

Caress of Steel

...and it's not close. Rush certainly took a few albums to get going, and 2112 was a true game changer... but aside from maybe five or six really good songs on those first three albums, it was an inauspicious start for the band.

That being said, By-Tor and the Snowdog is still one of their best songs.

Edited by KenJennings

1. Vapor Trails

2. Snakes and Arrows

3. Hold Your Fire

Vapor Trails just has so many songs that don't go anywhere memorable. Aside from the obvious production issues, there's a lack of cohesiveness in the music that is unlike Rush. Some excellent lyrics though..

Snakes has Far Cry or else it would be my least favorite. I've never heard so many songs that have so many crammed lyrics in it. And the music just lacks a punch. Alex wrote everything acoustically first and you can hear it in the music,

Hold Your Fire sounds crappy and is totally overdone with keyboards. I'm shocked Alex Lifeson didn't quit in the middle of making this one. A waste of a guitar God.....

T4E used to be my least favorite, but the music has grown on me a bit-it's just difficult to get past the lyrics.

The number of votes for Clockwork Angels is appealing...

1, VT - the remix is much better but even so, its still bad

2. CoS - those 2 long songs, yuck! The shorter ones are very good but they can't undue the damage the long ones do to the record.

3. CA- everything before Halo Effect stinks. After that the songs are ok but the production stinks.

Roll The Bones

Counterparts

Test For Echo

I like these albums, and when I listen to them I never skip any tracks. But these are the only albums where the tracks I don’t really care for that much, outnumber the ones I really like.

I actually don't have a bottom three just albums I don't play as much as others.Unlike some people I appreciate all eras of Rush. If I am in the mood(sorry) for some straight ahead rock the debut gets a blast.I could play COS,Hem,HYF,RTB,T4E,S&A all after each other no problems.The only one I do have a problem with is the original VT but that was mainly due to the godawful wall of noise mastering/production.Yes there are some songs I don't care for but on each album there are at least four or five songs of brilliance and that's good enough for me.
  • Like 1

1. Hold Your Nose

2. Hold Your Nose

3. Hold Your Nose

I tried click on this 3 times, but only got one vote counted.

Ok the others are:

Presto

Roll the Boner.

• Like 2

Rush (too early, too derivative of other bands, dumb cliched lyrics)

Test For Echo (bland song writing with a fuzzy overdistortion to the sound)

Snakes & Arrows (only has two songs Far Cry & MalNar that have any of that classic Rush pizzazz and musical chops...the rest are midtempo lethargic dirges with uncharacteristically negative preachy lyrics)

In release order:

GUP

RTB

S&A

RTB and S&A both have a great track (the opener, the "hit"), but then drop off a cliff. On S&A, I wanted more upbeat, dynamic songs like "Far Cry," but too much of the album plods along, mid-tempo, with nothing too exciting, except maybe the instrumentals.

GUP (did I make enemies choosing GUP?) is a better overall album than the above two. Nothing "wrong" with it per se, which is more than I can say for RTB and S&A, but no song really excites. Where's the track or tracks about which you say "Holy shit, I have GOT TO hear that again"? It's the last of their albums I replaced with a CD, there was no hurry to get it in the newer format.

Edited by GeddyRulz

Bottom three?

Snakes And Arrows

Signals

Hemispheres

Ahh, the folly of youth. :P

What folly? I'm sure us youngsters know good prog, and Rush certainly isn't the best Prog band out there. Fellow HYF fanboys stick together.

• Like 1

Bottom three?

Snakes And Arrows

Signals

Hemispheres

Ahh, the folly of youth. :P

What folly? I'm sure us youngsters know good prog, and Rush certainly isn't the best Prog band out there. Fellow HYF fanboys stick together.

http://i.makeagif.com/media/7-15-2015/n8h5ka.gif

• Like 1

1. Caress (sorry, I've tried - do really like Bastille Day and Lakeside Park)

2. HYF (way too many misses, the last two being bottom 5 all-time Rush songs)

3. RTB - Starts strong, fades badly

• Like 1

17. Snakes & Arrows (first half is really good, second half sound's like a bunch of uninspired old men)

18. Test For Echo (decent album, but no stand out tracks at all)

19. Roll The Bones (a few cool songs, but a lot of unengaging pop drivel--at least HYF has emotion and inspiration!)

Edited by GeddyLeeRoth
  • Like 2

Many of the selections I don't have a problem with. You can make a case for nearly every album released after GUP being a "bottom three" album, I suppose. I can even stomach someone saying that Signals belongs in the bottom three, since it's arguably the start of the synth era.

Similarly, I can see someone saying they don't love the early Zeppelin-esque material. I can see someone they don't care for the "prog" albums of the mid-70s.

But Moving Pictures? C'mon. You can say you've heard it too many times, and you're sick of it. But there is a good reason that people who don't post on the site for this now-defunct band own Moving Pictures. Because its songs are timeless. And flawless. They have 19 studio albums. There is no way on God's green Earth that you believe in your heart that there are at least 16 of them that are better than Moving Pictures.

• Like 1

I chose

HYF

Snakes & Arrows

Vapor Trails

All of these albums contain some good songs, but measured against the Rush catalog they do not measure up. On a tangent, I have always hated how the boys played Tom Sawyer whenever they appeared on TV. I understand it is very popular, but I think it is one of the weaker songs on MP (a superb album).....Wondering what people think....

Counterparts - Bad attempt at Grunge

Test for Echo - after above, total flip but too long and boring

Hold Your Fire - Too plastic and AOR, couple of good songs but major disappointment after Power Windows.