43 years today since Judas Priest's debut album - 1 day late 6 September 1974

treeduck

Today in rock history: on this date in 1974, British heavy metal band Judas Priest released its very first album, Rocka Rolla. Released to very little fanfare, the band had not yet found its footing and hadn’t developed into the leather-clad metal icons they’d later become. The record consists of some material that dates back to the days before the band had welcomed ferocious lead singer Rob Halford into the fold. Halford would lead the band to superstardom thanks to his soaring vocal abilities and his penchant for writing bone crushing metal anthems. The 1974 model of Judas Priest found the band delving more into blues-inspired hard rock and wearing clothing more associated with flower power hippies than leather gods. Although the album failed to make any waves on sales charts and it features no hit singles, it set the stage for its follow-up album, 1976’s Sad Wings Of Destiny, the album on which the band started to carve out its sound and brought them a first taste of recognition as a heavy metal force to be reckoned with.

rocka-rolla-4f8589fb67a8b.jpg

• Like 6

How are you celebrating, Treeduck?

:popcorn:

I'm coming round your house to spy on your comings and goings.

:coy: I better sweep the porch then....

Yeah I like the sound of that and then sweep picking on your old guitar for afters...

How are you celebrating, Treeduck?

:popcorn:

I'm coming round your house to spy on your comings and goings.

:coy: I better sweep the porch then....

Wait, we're supposed to sweep our porches?

You can lick them clean if you want...