Midnight Oil - I am a new fan!

Huge Ackman

I didn't know a lot of Midnight Oil tunes aside form the radio hits. Two friends of mine are big fans and have been encouraging me to check them out. When I first heard their older stuff, I thought that they must have been influenced by Gang of Four. However, it turns out that Midnight Oil was recording way before Gang of Four existed so maybe it's the other way around.... Midnight Oil was an influence on Gang of Four? In any case, I am really getting into Midnight Oil lately and made the trip to Toronto to see them live 2 weeks ago. We were in the front row against the rail and had a really great time! The opening act, The Living End, is also now on my music radar! They tore the place up and really set the stage for the main Midnight Oil show... Here is a video of one tune that I shot. I have lots of photos but am having trouble getting them off my phone to share. If I figure it out, I'll post some of those too. Rock ON!

• Like 6

Yeah, I've always been a fan.

Up the Oils!

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 is a masterpiece of an album.

lol, I was waiting for your post...you really like these guys.

:yes: :yes: :yes: Edited by goose

Easily one of my top five bands all time.

They move easily between punk-hard rock-new wave-soft rock-garage and perform all of it naturally. Jim Moginie is a genius song writer, Hirst is a powerful drummer and his song writing is top notch as well. And whenever they add a new bass player that bass player made the band different in a good way, you can really see how included each musician is in the process.

Some people haven't liked their direction shifts, but I was pleasantly surprised each time.

Definitely don't just listen to the albums that broke outside Australia- the rough early catalog is essential, and their last three original albums are stellar too. Breathe, Redneck Wonderland, and Capricornia are move from soft and gentle into loud and aggressive into a perfect career closer. If a band has to end Capricornia is the way to do it.

***I am hoping the touring will mean more material. Both Hirst and Moginie continued to be very active musicians on their own.

Check out the surf/garage-instrumental band The Break. A band of Hirst/Moginie/Rotsey with a Violent Femme added for fun! Great music.

I didn't know a lot of Midnight Oil tunes aside form the radio hits. Two friends of mine are big fans and have been encouraging me to check them out. When I first heard their older stuff, I thought that they must have been influenced by Gang of Four. However, it turns out that Midnight Oil was recording way before Gang of Four existed so maybe it's the other way around.... Midnight Oil was an influence on Gang of Four? In any case, I am really getting into Midnight Oil lately and made the trip to Toronto to see them live 2 weeks ago.

Do you have a fave album by now? I think mine could be Diesel and Dust but its gonna be interesting going through the back catalogue soon to be sure. Thanks for sparking me off on this one. They mean so much more to me now than back in the 80s.

Up the Oils!

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 is a masterpiece of an album.

lol, I was waiting for your post...you really like these guys.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Of course they're mega popular down here, always have been. I first heard of them through this lil' ol' ditty. Not sure it even charted over there? :NP:

http://youtu.be/6pKPNnk-JhE

Great track! It was their first (kind of) hit in the States.

Did they do Beds Are Burning? :)

I'm guessing that's highly probable! :) I didn't realise how big they got Stateside. Just watched the ARIA awards, wow.

Diesel and Dust was huge for the band.

Any love for Red Sails out there? Best of Both Worlds, When the Generals Talk...

:haz:

I want to go right back and start from the beginning which I will soon. I find Garrett's voice to be a little off-putting sometimes but the musicianship is another story...

Any love for Red Sails out there? Best of Both Worlds, When the Generals Talk...

I want to go right back and start from the beginning which I will soon. I find Garrett's voice to be a little off-putting sometimes but the musicianship is another story...

It's like prog-punk.
  • Like 3

My favorite album...usually.

But like I said, they changed so often that each album has a unique feel so sometimes another hits the top spot.

• Like 1

Don't ignore the two very good EPs Bird Noises and Species Deceases as you move through the catalog. Especially Species, that's a killer EP.
  • Like 2