Your favorite Simon & Garfunkel song?

Texas King

great basic tunes that I remember (almost) learning on guitar when i started out.

Paul Simon's music is similar to James Taylor's in that songs that sound like they would be very simple to play, are not very simple at all.

I love 'The Boxer', it's probably my the one I think is closest to perfection, but 'I Am A Rock' defined me when I was an adolescent, and it will always be important to me.

I knew a guy who hated Simon and Garfunkel because when he was a kid, and being sort of an introverted loner at the time, was teased by other kids at summer camp by being called "Rock" and having "I Am A Rock" sung when he was around. He didn't really care that it really wasn't Paul Simon's fault. Anyway, I can't hear that song now without thinking of that guy.

I had a stoic demeanor and didn't look outwardly marginalized in any way so I didn't get teased much. But I felt like I didn't fit into the available circles at the time. I didn't seek the associations so I guess I missed the hard part. That would suck to actually be defined by others, I can see hating the music after that.

Do you still feel always on the outside looking in?

Yes.

Oh...were you asking me?

No, I wasn't, but I'm shocked that you, of all people, feel that way.

Really? I'm very good at faking social comfort. I did it professionally for 30 years, after all! :LOL:

Yes, really.

• Like 1

I love 'The Boxer', it's probably my the one I think is closest to perfection, but 'I Am A Rock' defined me when I was an adolescent, and it will always be important to me.

I knew a guy who hated Simon and Garfunkel because when he was a kid, and being sort of an introverted loner at the time, was teased by other kids at summer camp by being called "Rock" and having "I Am A Rock" sung when he was around. He didn't really care that it really wasn't Paul Simon's fault. Anyway, I can't hear that song now without thinking of that guy.

I had a stoic demeanor and didn't look outwardly marginalized in any way so I didn't get teased much. But I felt like I didn't fit into the available circles at the time. I didn't seek the associations so I guess I missed the hard part. That would suck to actually be defined by others, I can see hating the music after that.

I'm comfortably in my niche, now. :)

But of course that will always be a part of me.

• Like 1

Yes.

Oh...were you asking me?

Really? I'm very good at faking social comfort. I did it professionally for 30 years, after all! :LOL:

Yes, really.

I'm always surprised that my social discomfort doesn't come across. My wife tells me all the time how people love how I'm such a social guy, the life of the party. I pull it off, but it's never natural and feels like work.

Here's a quote from an INTJ (My Myers Briggs classification):

I try and talk to people as best I can, including my friends but it just breaks down due to shallowness of conversation and lack of direction. To escape, I let the music take me and dance. If I'm dancing I don't have to talk to anyone and can still "fit in". Plus I enjoy it. I think this also doesn't help in connecting with people (as most INTJ's report) because I come off as really enthusiastic and outgoing, and then the music stops and I'm thinking about how the latest in driverless technology will effect a martian civilisation.

Yes.

Oh...were you asking me?

Yes, really.

I'm always surprised that my social discomfort doesn't come across. My wife tells me all the time how people love how I'm such a social guy, the life of the party. I pull it off, but it's never natural and feels like work.

I try and talk to people as best I can, including my friends but it just breaks down due to shallowness of conversation and lack of direction. To escape, I let the music take me and dance. If I'm dancing I don't have to talk to anyone and can still "fit in". Plus I enjoy it. I think this also doesn't help in connecting with people (as most INTJ's report) because I come off as really enthusiastic and outgoing, and then the music stops and I'm thinking about how the latest in driverless technology will effect a martian civilisation.

https://www.reddit.c...tjs_at_parties/

You don't come across as a social man, just someone who has the ability to get along with everyone and to somehow be on two sides of a discussion at the same time. The latter is a real feat.

Yes.

Oh...were you asking me?

Yes, really.

https://www.reddit.c...tjs_at_parties/

You don't come across as a social man, just someone who has the ability to get along with everyone and to somehow be on two sides of a discussion at the same time. The latter is a real feat.

Thanks, Lorraine. I'm a natural observer.
  • Like 1

dangling conversation

Which album is that on?

Parsley, Sage, rosemary and Thyme according to google.. Haha. I had to look it up. Summer of 1966 it was out, I love it!

A gem, for sure!

I can see why Simon & Garfunkel split up.

It was all about Paul. This picture says it all.

Simon_and_Garfunkel%2C_Bridge_over_Troubled_Water_%281970%29.png

Garfunkel was actually the better singer of the two.

Bridge Over Troubled Water is the best example of this.

• Like 1

So many! Never mind picking a favourite, I wouldn't be able to do it, but Homeward Bound is the very first song that I have a distinct conscious memory of hearing. I was 4 or 5 and it's one of the few things I can think of that makes me actually remember the feeling of having an experience as a small child.