WHO ARE YOU ?

custom55

Oh yes for those too young to have lived it, big concerts were a dangerous free for all back in the 70's. Lining up overnight for rush seating - basically a full on sprint from the back of the venue to the front of the stage with little concern for those around you. Add to that a generous amount of alcohol and other stimulants and it was quite the atmosphere that would just not be allowed these days - for good reason. I saw the last concert with Keith Moon at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto. He was one of the best ever! The way he approached the drums was unlike anything seen before at the time. Nowadays, his drumming doesn't seem quite as extraordinary, but no other drummer would have played like that on those Who albums. Watch the Classic Albums doc on the making of Who's Next. The best part is when Roger is listening to Keith's parts and he is just giddy with excitement and laughing out loud at some of the drum parts. Shakes his head and calls Keith "brilliant".
  • Like 1

Keith Moon's last dance. Such a great band. Seem to be on a Who kick lately!

That's right, it was. They said he had a hard time keeping up, but I didn't notice.

Ever see a grown man naked??

the-whos-keith-moon-on-bearskin-rug.jpg

I used to have this as a poster up on my wall years ago.

:o

:LOL:

That's right, it was. They said he had a hard time keeping up, but I didn't notice.

Nice derriere.

Afghan isn't too shabby either.

Edited by Lorraine

Back when we were doing the Band of the Week thread, I did a review of Who Are You. Here it is...

http://www.therushfo...20#entry4166927

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:05 PM

Set the Wayback Machine for 1978... it's time for Who Are You :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

Out of the gate, Roger's voice is in top form. He shines on the opener, New Song. Not totally sold on all of Pete's keyboard choices here, but the rest of the song makes them forgivable. Some really heavy guitar parts, and...Moony. :NP:

Had Enough is a strange song, with a heavy start, then drifting into light harmonies akin to Mommas & Poppas or the Beach Boys. But it works. One benefit in listening to the Who's discography is to discover how critical a role Keith Moon played. He flat out drives this song. A true drum God. :notworthy:

905 kicks ass. An Entwistle effort, this song's intro is a real grabber, and the song settles into a wonderful groove, with running lyrics that move it right along.

Sister Disco is one of my favorite Who songs...one of my favorite songs period, actually. Just really well crafted. Amazing keyboard lines, amazing bass work by Entwistle, and...did I mentioned their drummer yet? Then there's acoustic outro, So artful...so poetic. this one's a true gem. :ebert:

Music Must Change is a lyrical tour de force. Daltrey sells them perfectly. The bluesy atmosphere makes for a perfect Side 1 closer. Great guitar work here. The masterful arrangement of tracks on this album is a complete 180 reverse from the tracking disaster that would be their next album. :LOL: I wonder what Side 2 will bring?

Now this is how you open an album side! Any doubts as to whether the energy of Side 1 could be sustained are put to rest with opening riffs of Trick of the Light. Another kicks-ass rocker by Entwistle. John's lyrics are almost always about some woman, but that's just fine. This is rock-n-roll, dammit! And that hook...straight from the Devil himself. :fury:

Guitar and Pen is interestingly theatrical, but this is the side of the Who that I enjoy the least. Tommy has elements that I like, but overall, I'm not crazy about it. Like it's classical grandmother, I dislike rock opera in general. Not a terrible song...just not my bag, baby! And Love is Coming continues in this vein. :zzz:

And then...the closing title track. A true rock classic, with everything I love about the Who rolled into one. Cool synth lines, kick-ass drums over a killer bass groove, and perfectly angry vocals. Who Are You? One of the greatest f***ing songs recorded, that's who! :haz: :notworthy: :haz: :notworthy: :haz: Crank this one to eleven, friends!

In Moonie's bio that I have, they said he was awful on this album and it was hard for him to do it. You'd never know it, would you?

I want to listen to this album again but the last time I did, I couldn't get two of the songs on it out of my head for days.

Edited by Lorraine

It's a notch below the very best the Who has to offer, but a notch above most other band's best releases. The ReRushed Seal of Approval rates it 8/10.

"The ReRushed Seal of Approval"

ReRushed Seal of Approval...a most trusted name in all things rock and roll.
  • Like 1

Back when we were doing the Band of the Week thread, I did a review of Who Are You. Here it is...

Set the Wayback Machine for 1978... it's time for Who Are You :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

Out of the gate, Roger's voice is in top form. He shines on the opener, New Song. Not totally sold on all of Pete's keyboard choices here, but the rest of the song makes them forgivable. Some really heavy guitar parts, and...Moony. :NP:

Had Enough is a strange song, with a heavy start, then drifting into light harmonies akin to Mommas & Poppas or the Beach Boys. But it works. One benefit in listening to the Who's discography is to discover how critical a role Keith Moon played. He flat out drives this song. A true drum God. :notworthy:

905 kicks ass. An Entwistle effort, this song's intro is a real grabber, and the song settles into a wonderful groove, with running lyrics that move it right along.

Sister Disco is one of my favorite Who songs...one of my favorite songs period, actually. Just really well crafted. Amazing keyboard lines, amazing bass work by Entwistle, and...did I mentioned their drummer yet? Then there's acoustic outro, So artful...so poetic. this one's a true gem. :ebert:

Music Must Change is a lyrical tour de force. Daltrey sells them perfectly. The bluesy atmosphere makes for a perfect Side 1 closer. Great guitar work here. The masterful arrangement of tracks on this album is a complete 180 reverse from the tracking disaster that would be their next album. :LOL: I wonder what Side 2 will bring?

Now this is how you open an album side! Any doubts as to whether the energy of Side 1 could be sustained are put to rest with opening riffs of Trick of the Light. Another kicks-ass rocker by Entwistle. John's lyrics are almost always about some woman, but that's just fine. This is rock-n-roll, dammit! And that hook...straight from the Devil himself. :fury:

Guitar and Pen is interestingly theatrical, but this is the side of the Who that I enjoy the least. Tommy has elements that I like, but overall, I'm not crazy about it. Like it's classical grandmother, I dislike rock opera in general. Not a terrible song...just not my bag, baby! And Love is Coming continues in this vein. :zzz:

And then...the closing title track. A true rock classic, with everything I love about the Who rolled into one. Cool synth lines, kick-ass drums over a killer bass groove, and perfectly angry vocals. Who Are You? One of the greatest f***ing songs recorded, that's who! :haz: :notworthy: :haz: :notworthy: :haz: Crank this one to eleven, friends!

In Moonie's bio that I have, they said he was awful on this album and it was hard for him to do it. You'd never know it, would you?

I want to listen to this album again but the last time I did, I couldn't get two of the songs on it out of my head for days.

I went back and watched The Kids are Alright and Amazing Journey (Story of the Who) again... after knowing more about what Keith was dealing with, it becomes clearer that drumming was getting difficult for him. It's evident in the Who Are You studio footage and the live performances from 77 and 78. And he loved the other guys so much that he wanted to play well. But his demons got the better of him... :(

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 1

I went back and watched The Kids are Alright and Amazing Journey (Story of the Who) again... after knowing more about what Keith was dealing with, it becomes clearer that drumming was getting difficult for him. It's evident in the Who Are You studio footage and the live performances from 77 and 78. And he loved the other guys so much that he wanted to play well. But his demons got the better of him... :(

Did you ever read his bio? Really intense and a very sad book.

Not sure what his problem was, but he certainly had inner demons. The older he got, the less he could control them. I think fame caused him to lose whatever self-control he had.

I'm sure Moonie and Joe Walsh together were a lethal combination, and that most sane folks would have gotten as far away from the both of them as they could.

It's a notch below the very best the Who has to offer, but a notch above most other band's best releases. The ReRushed Seal of Approval rates it 8/10.

"The ReRushed Seal of Approval"

ReRushed Seal of Approval...a most trusted name in all things rock and roll.

We'll have to find him an appropriate trademark seal.

• Like 1

Did you ever read his bio? Really intense and a very sad book.

Not sure what his problem was, but he certainly had inner demons. The older he got, the less he could control them. I think fame caused him to lose whatever self-control he had.

I'm sure Moonie and Joe Walsh together were a lethal combination, and that most sane folks would have gotten as far away from the both of them as they could.

I've wanted to read the bio but haven't yet. I wonder if he had some kind of mental illness.

This is probably in the book, but his roadie and others around him used to say that when he was off the road was when he got into real trouble with the alcohol and partying....even worse than when he was touring! (I guess Bonham had some similar issues). And yeah, fame may have eroded any possible self-control he could have had.

Joe Walsh knows how lucky he is to be still alive.

• Like 1

I used to stick and hang things on it for fun. You can imagine what kinds of things. :LOL:

• Like 1

I used to stick and hang things on it for fun. You can imagine what kinds of things. :LOL:

And now you just have pics of me on the wall instead! :coy:

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 2

Have you had any made poster size? If so I'll hang it up. :LOL:

Have you had any made poster size? If so I'll hang it up. :LOL:

I bet you will, like the trophies of an African hunter! :16ton: