live alone in a paradise

that makes me think of you

love lost, such a cost

give me things that won't get lost

like a coin that won't get tossed

rolling home to you.... :musicnote:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Great album. Had a few songs off of it stuck in my head for days a few weeks ago. The one you posted a vid of was one of them.

:cheers:

By the way, Custom, if you don't mind me saying, you actually forgot the anniversary of Woodstock this year. :facepalm: :o :cool: :LOL: :hi:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Great album. Had a few songs off of it stuck in my head for days a few weeks ago. The one you posted a vid of was one of them.

:cheers:

By the way, Custom, if you don't mind me saying, you actually forgot the anniversary of Woodstock this year. :facepalm: :o :cool: :LOL: :hi:

Sh1t.... I did. Although today is the 18th and that was the day Jimi closed the weekend. Thanks for reminding me.

Edited by custom55
  • Like 3

Keith Moon's last dance. Such a great band. Seem to be on a Who kick lately!

That's right, it was. They said he had a hard time keeping up, but I didn't notice.

He's a little toned down, although he rips some fast fills in "Had Enough".

The stories of that recording session are absolutely depressing, mostly due to Moon's condition, but the music is solid.

The first Who album I ever heard. The library had a copy and I was curious as the whole Cincinnati stampede tragedy had recently occurred.

Certainly not the best Who album, but one that I enjoy, and the last real Who album (other than "Kids Are Alright Soundtrack" which was an amazing journey indeed). Well, at least to me. (Sorry "Face Dances")

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RVT4MJua2XA/T41tMe7Y0hI/AAAAAAAAEHQ/76OnTMFplRY/s1600/Keith+Moon+Smile+34.jpg

• Like 1

That's right, it was. They said he had a hard time keeping up, but I didn't notice.

Ever see a grown man naked??

No. I don't know any men.

http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/zing-221x300.jpg

• Like 1

http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/zing-221x300.jpg

;)

Olivia_de_Havilland_Publicity_Photo_1952.jpg

• Like 2

The stories of that recording session are absolutely depressing, mostly due to Moon's condition, but the music is solid.

The first Who album I ever heard. The library had a copy and I was curious as the whole Cincinnati stampede tragedy had recently occurred.

Certainly not the best Who album, but one that I enjoy, and the last real Who album (other than "Kids Are Alright Soundtrack" which was an amazing journey indeed). Well, at least to me. (Sorry "Face Dances")

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RVT4MJua2XA/T41tMe7Y0hI/AAAAAAAAEHQ/76OnTMFplRY/s1600/Keith+Moon+Smile+34.jpg

I was at The Who concert at Riverfront Coliseum a couple of years before the one where everybody got trampled. And I'm not surprised it happened. I have never been scared like that in a crowd before or since. People were so packed in together and when they opened one door to let everyone in, there was a crush and I remember my feet came off the ground from the pressure of the bodies pushing against me. Reminded me of grains of sand squeezing through the neck of an hourglass.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

I was at The Who concert at Riverfront Coliseum a couple of years before the one where everybody got trampled. And I'm not surprised it happened. I have never been scared like that in a crowd before or since. People were so packed in together and when they opened one door to let everyone in, there was a crush and I remember my feet came off the ground from the pressure of the bodies pushing against me. Reminded me of grains of sand squeezing through the neck of an hourglass.

Scary.

But awesome that you were able to see the "classic" Who line-up! :ebert:

When I saw them doing "Tommy" in the late 80s, there were over a dozen people onstage.

The show was slick, well-rehearsed, and somehow anti-climactic (despite a decent setlist that included "Trick of the Light").

Townsend had recently punctured his hand with a whammy bar (ouch!) so he just gingerly strummed an acoustic all night long.

I was only in danger of falling asleep, sadly.

• Like 1

Reminds me of a Pink Floyd concert at the Olympia in Detroit in support of WYWH. General admission, 3 friends, our dates/mates and myself. We're all a little buzzed, the doors are about to open, people are jostling one another, and its getting tense when I take leadership of the group; "girls, bunch together. Guys, surround the ladies." About a minute later the doors open, and I give the order; "Gentlemen, flying wedge", and we bull in, elbows out and moving forward. Once through the crush we head to the mezzanine and get seats with a mid-stage sight line. Once we get seated one of my friends says " Good move PJ. Do us the honor." and hands me a fatty. I fire it up, puff puff pass, and we proceed to enjoy the show.

Saw them a couple weeks ago and also a year and a half ago. Moonie was an incredible drummer, one of the best ever imo. But I gotta tell you Zak Starkey kicks ass. And btw, they of course did the title track from this album. Opened with it both times.
  • Like 1

Back when we were doing the Band of the Week thread, I did a review of Who Are You. Here it is...

http://www.therushfo...20#entry4166927

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:05 PM

Set the Wayback Machine for 1978... it's time for Who Are You :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

Out of the gate, Roger's voice is in top form. He shines on the opener, New Song. Not totally sold on all of Pete's keyboard choices here, but the rest of the song makes them forgivable. Some really heavy guitar parts, and...Moony. :NP:

Had Enough is a strange song, with a heavy start, then drifting into light harmonies akin to Mommas & Poppas or the Beach Boys. But it works. One benefit in listening to the Who's discography is to discover how critical a role Keith Moon played. He flat out drives this song. A true drum God. :notworthy:

905 kicks ass. An Entwistle effort, this song's intro is a real grabber, and the song settles into a wonderful groove, with running lyrics that move it right along.

Sister Disco is one of my favorite Who songs...one of my favorite songs period, actually. Just really well crafted. Amazing keyboard lines, amazing bass work by Entwistle, and...did I mentioned their drummer yet? Then there's acoustic outro, So artful...so poetic. this one's a true gem. :ebert:

Music Must Change is a lyrical tour de force. Daltrey sells them perfectly. The bluesy atmosphere makes for a perfect Side 1 closer. Great guitar work here. The masterful arrangement of tracks on this album is a complete 180 reverse from the tracking disaster that would be their next album. :LOL: I wonder what Side 2 will bring?

Now this is how you open an album side! Any doubts as to whether the energy of Side 1 could be sustained are put to rest with opening riffs of Trick of the Light. Another kicks-ass rocker by Entwistle. John's lyrics are almost always about some woman, but that's just fine. This is rock-n-roll, dammit! And that hook...straight from the Devil himself. :fury:

Guitar and Pen is interestingly theatrical, but this is the side of the Who that I enjoy the least. Tommy has elements that I like, but overall, I'm not crazy about it. Like it's classical grandmother, I dislike rock opera in general. Not a terrible song...just not my bag, baby! And Love is Coming continues in this vein. :zzz:

And then...the closing title track. A true rock classic, with everything I love about the Who rolled into one. Cool synth lines, kick-ass drums over a killer bass groove, and perfectly angry vocals. Who Are You? One of the greatest f***ing songs recorded, that's who! :haz: :notworthy: :haz: :notworthy: :haz: Crank this one to eleven, friends!

Edited by goose
  • Like 5

the-whos-keith-moon-on-bearskin-rug.jpg

I used to have this as a poster up on my wall years ago.

• Like 1

Reminds me of a Pink Floyd concert at the Olympia in Detroit in support of WYWH. General admission, 3 friends, our dates/mates and myself. We're all a little buzzed, the doors are about to open, people are jostling one another, and its getting tense when I take leadership of the group; "girls, bunch together. Guys, surround the ladies." About a minute later the doors open, and I give the order; "Gentlemen, flying wedge", and we bull in, elbows out and moving forward. Once through the crush we head to the mezzanine and get seats with a mid-stage sight line. Once we get seated one of my friends says " Good move PJ. Do us the honor." and hands me a fatty. I fire it up, puff puff pass, and we proceed to enjoy the show.

That sounds pretty tame compared to what I went through.