New Car Shopping

edhunter

Make sure you avoid cars with a CVT transmission. A friend at work had to dump his Accord with only 76,000 miles and my Uncle rented a Nissan Sentra, and the CVT crapped out on his way back home to North Carolina.

You base avoiding a CVT on 2 instances, 1 of which was a rental cart which are driven hard and treated like crap? Honda and Toyota CVTs are very reliable and perform well. Some others don't but neither do some double clutch transmissions.

• Like 1

After all my test drives, I decided against getting something new, and went with a 2013 Kia Soul. Only 35k miles, 6-speed stick, about $185/mo. Hopefully I can double pay it down, so in 2 years or so when the minivan dies I can get a year old model and not have 2 car payments. I haven't had a car payment in 13 years.

Dangit, the photo link isn't working.

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 2

After all my test drives, I decided against getting something new, and went with a 2013 Kia Soul. Only 35k miles, 6-speed stick, about $185/mo. Hopefully I can double pay it down, so in 2 years or so when the minivan dies I can get a year old model and not have 2 car payments. I haven't had a car payment in 13 years.

They look like so much fun when I see people driving them! It sounds great. My brother in law has had a Kia for years and loves it. Try again on the pic sometime!

• Like 1

Dodge. Demon. (I used to have an old brown primer '71 with a slant 6 but I think the new one might be better ;))

Manual club is an exclusive club these days :cool: :cheers:

• Like 1

Make sure you avoid cars with a CVT transmission. A friend at work had to dump his Accord with only 76,000 miles and my Uncle rented a Nissan Sentra, and the CVT crapped out on his way back home to North Carolina.

You base avoiding a CVT on 2 instances, 1 of which was a rental cart which are driven hard and treated like crap? Honda and Toyota CVTs are very reliable and perform well. Some others don't but neither do some double clutch transmissions.

Aye.

I'm surprised to hear of an Accord CVT failing, but I guess anything is possible. With how many automatic Accords get sold, it would be big news if they were constantly failing.

I rented a Jeep Compass w/ CVT, and that's probably the worst I've seen. But that's just one model from one manufacturer. They've been around for many years now, and have become more refined and reliable for the majority.

They look like so much fun when I see people driving them! It sounds great. My brother in law has had a Kia for years and loves it. Try again on the pic sometime!

I've had 2 Souls & not sure exactly why, but these cars are fun . . . .

My 2017 is a Turbo w/custom paint so it's extra fun & fast . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . soul rush . . . . . . . . . . . .

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af62/GotRush/Soul%20red%20mirrors%209ab_zpspwbhmag3.jpg

• Like 1

I'm about to start looking for a new, and probably last, vehicle to replace the 2013 Sonata I bought new. I want to go the SUV route, but haven't seen anything I'm comfortable in. At 6' 4", mostly in the legs, it isn't easy. Kind of looking at the Chevy Equinox, but not real sure. Any ideas?

I'm about to start looking for a new, and probably last, vehicle to replace the 2013 Sonata I bought new. I want to go the SUV route, but haven't seen anything I'm comfortable in. At 6' 4", mostly in the legs, it isn't easy. Kind of looking at the Chevy Equinox, but not real sure. Any ideas?

At that height you're not gonna fit well in those crossover type vehicles. I remember fitting well in the newer 4Runners, and they're incredible vehicles, but not cheap