New Car Shopping

edhunter

^ I would run away from the Chevrolet Malibu--possibly the fastest-depreciating sedan of all time.

Japanese (except Mitsubishi) will run long with minimal problems, and hold fair value. Simple as that. Korea has been competent at car building for a decade now, as well. American cars are good these days, but still inherently more risky. And prone to losing value faster.

But a car that depreciates isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you're buying a used car, depreciation can help you, especially if you're comparing it to an overvalued used car that doesn't depreciate. The bottom line is, are you getting your money's worth.

The cars that depreciate the most are luxury sedans. You'll take a bath if you buy most Infinities or Cadillacs. Some BMWs are bad too.

You are absolutely right about depreciation being a big help in buying a used car. In 2014, my A6 was $59,000. I bought it in March, after it came off a three year lease. I got it for $36,000 with only 37,000 miles. It still looked brand new except for a scuff on one wheel and one door ding. I'll take that for a $23,000 savings. :haz:

Mercedes as well. overpriced, over-engineered, status symbol crap.

Well, I guess I was thinking of the Impala for fast depreciating, but all American *cars* suffer from the same fate.

Not really.

Have you priced used U.S. made diesel trucks lately?

Also, the Jeep Wrangler holds its value fairly well.

That is precisely why I said *cars*--because American trucks and SUV's hold value very well!

In fact, I'm planning on buying a brand new Jeep Wrangler in the next 12 months. Insane resale value was the biggest factor in my decision to not shop the used market on one.

• Like 1

^ I would run away from the Chevrolet Malibu--possibly the fastest-depreciating sedan of all time.

Japanese (except Mitsubishi) will run long with minimal problems, and hold fair value. Simple as that. Korea has been competent at car building for a decade now, as well. American cars are good these days, but still inherently more risky. And prone to losing value faster.

But a car that depreciates isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you're buying a used car, depreciation can help you, especially if you're comparing it to an overvalued used car that doesn't depreciate. The bottom line is, are you getting your money's worth.

This is true. It just depends where you are on the spectrum.

• Like 1

Well, I guess I was thinking of the Impala for fast depreciating, but all American *cars* suffer from the same fate.

Not really.

That is precisely why I said *cars*--because American trucks and SUV's hold value very well!

In fact, I'm planning on buying a brand new Jeep Wrangler in the next 12 months. Insane resale value was the biggest factor in my decision to not shop the used market on one.

V8 modern Dodge Challenger hold their value as well. Aye-aye on the Wrangler as well.

Not really.

And is one of the least reliable vehicle on the road. Just about anything from Fiat/Chrysler has lousy reliability ratings. Someone said "America" cars have come a long way and that's true, but so have "Japanese" cars and they are still much more reliable than the average car from the Big 3.

Edited by Fordgalaxy

Not really.

And is one of the least reliable vehicle on the road. Just about anything from Fiat/Chrysler has lousy reliability ratings. Someone said "America" cars have come a long way and that's true, but so have "Japanese" cars and they are still much more reliable than the average car from the Big 3.

Wranglers aren't terribly unreliable, but they're a far cry from Japan quality. But I'm buying one because I've always wanted one of America's most iconic vehicles, that also happens to be an old school body-on-frame solid axle suspension convertible SUV! :)

• Like 2

Not really.

Wranglers aren't terribly unreliable, but they're a far cry from Japan quality. But I'm buying one because I've always wanted one of America's most iconic vehicles, that also happens to be an old school body-on-frame solid axle suspension convertible SUV! :)

They're huge though. I've thought for years that Jeep should make a Willy's MB model that's the same size as the original. It could compete with the Polaris RZR which are now street legal in many places.

• Like 1

Not really.

They're huge though. I've thought for years that Jeep should make a Willy's MB model that's the same size as the original. It could compete with the Polaris RZR which are now street legal in many places.

I miss the days of the small toyota/mazda/nissan trucks that would run forever and be the cheapest new vehicle on the lot. now everyone wants big or bigger.
  • Like 1

Today during my lunch break I took a Kia Forte for a ride. I wasn't all that impressed. It felt like a bare bones rental. Then I took a Kia Soul for a ride at a different dealership. I loved the Soul. The sales guy was hilarious, in a sad way. After I gave them a little info for their file, he went to get the keys and to find the car on the lot. All of a sudden, the horn on the Soul in the showroom starts beeping like crazy and wouldn't stop. The manager rolled his eyes and another sales guy ran out to find him. Turns out, he's nearly deaf, and had no idea he'd grabbed the showroom model keys. The sticker on the Soul was 19 and change. They also showed me a leftover 2016 Optima that's about 16.5.

I can tell I'm gonna hit overload pretty soon. If I go new, then ANYTHING is going to feel like a dream compared to an '02 Grand Am. I still have about a dozen models to try.

Knowing me I'll chicken out at the last minute and just go with some 2012 something or other...

• Like 1

Ed, you won't get a $44,000 car for $25,000. That won't happen. Maybe $35,000.

American cars have gotten a lot better over the last 20 years. You should at least test drive them and see how they compare to the foreign cars.

Have you checked out the Chevy Malibu?

You're going to get your best deal at the end of the month or end of a quarter.

I'm pretty certain of that, but hey, it can't hurt to ask. My timetable has me buying August 30 or 31. That'll give me time to try everything, decide what to go with, ask for a best deal, take that to a competitor to beat it, and then go back to the first one. And possibly even find a third dealer at the last second.

• Like 1

try this line when haggling with the salesman:

"would you rather accept less money from me today or no money at all?"

it's worked for me with software vendors but I haven't tried it with car salesman. ;)

I didn't try that specific line but when a salesman uses the line "what do I have to do to get you to leave here with this car?" I have given them low ball offers I knew they wouldn't accept and when they didn't, I walked out. Three days later, he called me and wouldn't stop for a couple of weeks (I never answered the call, which makes caller ID a must have).

• Like 1

try this line when haggling with the salesman:

"would you rather accept less money from me today or no money at all?"

it's worked for me with software vendors but I haven't tried it with car salesman. ;)

I didn't try that specific line but when a salesman uses the line "what do I have to do to get you to leave here with this car?" I have given them low ball offers I knew they wouldn't accept and when they didn't, I walked out. Three days later, he called me and wouldn't stop for a couple of weeks (I never answered the call, which makes caller ID a must have).

So far 2 of 3 of the sales guys, and one manager have called me. I feel a little bad because tomorrow was supposed to be the Kia Soul day, and I told the guy I'd be in. I changed it to today at the last second, and the guy was off. That's how I got the deaf guy.

Today during my lunch break I took a Kia Forte for a ride. I wasn't all that impressed. It felt like a bare bones rental. Then I took a Kia Soul for a ride at a different dealership. I loved the Soul. The sales guy was hilarious, in a sad way. After I gave them a little info for their file, he went to get the keys and to find the car on the lot. All of a sudden, the horn on the Soul in the showroom starts beeping like crazy and wouldn't stop. The manager rolled his eyes and another sales guy ran out to find him. Turns out, he's nearly deaf, and had no idea he'd grabbed the showroom model keys. The sticker on the Soul was 19 and change. They also showed me a leftover 2016 Optima that's about 16.5.

I can tell I'm gonna hit overload pretty soon. If I go new, then ANYTHING is going to feel like a dream compared to an '02 Grand Am. I still have about a dozen models to try.

Knowing me I'll chicken out at the last minute and just go with some 2012 something or other...

I remember going to test drive a Tahoe, and the shit head pulls up in a Suburban. I had another dork who was hell bent on getting me a lease when they were offering zero percent financing. I also hate working with a numbers monkey. You have to wait while the guy runs back and forth to the sales manager.
  • Like 1

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-u0et2NMiBdU/VgH46kCh12I/AAAAAAAAZXw/BKfqCoyGPMI/s1600/Supernatural.jpg

I think the Forte/Soul and Hyundai Elantra uses the same engine, which is really good. Avoid the Optima/Sonata and other Hyundai/Kias that use the 2.4l engine...they're still having the same engine problems my 2011 Sonata have.

https://www.consumer...s-prompt-recall

yeah I loved one of the recalls they did on this engine at the dealer. they 'listened' to the running engine to see if there was noise that sounded like the bearings giving out. I guess they employ 'engine whisperers' as mechanics. :eyeroll:

Maybe hit up Lucas for some advice. i think he said he owns a garage.

Edited by HemiBeers

I have NEVER really shopped for a car. Every car I have ever owned since I was 18 was pretty much the only one I looked at at the time. I'm planning to possibly buy my first ever new car this month. If I go new, it'll most likely be a Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra, Kia Soul or Forte, or comparable Mazda, Hyundai or Mitsubishi. If I go with a 2015, that may open up mid-size possibilities. I haven't really considered any American models, so don't tell my Teamster bosses. They're actually sending a reporter to do an interview with me about something else soon.

The plan for new is to spend the month testing all new models, decide what I want, and then play 2 or 3 dealers against each other to see how motivated they are to clear a 2017 off the lot.

The used plan may take longer because dealers arent under as much pressure to get them off the lot.

Here's the curveball I came across today. A fully loaded, brand new 2016 Kia Sedona. Its initial sticker is $44,180 which is more than double what I was looking to spend. But the damn thing only had 13 miles on it, so it had never even been test driven. How does a car like that sit untouched on the lot for 2 years? I thought Sedonas were in demand, no?

Part of me wants to see if he'll take 25 grand and zero percent financing. My FICO is over 800 so financing won't be an issue. Is that crazy?

So who likes what?

Edit: Just for reference, my current vehicles are an '02 Grand Am I bought in 2011 for $2500, and an '05 Grand Caravan bought in '08 for 14K. I paid cash for each. They have 190K and 210K miles, respectively.

I've had good luck with a few Nissans, pickup and minivan. Same for Toyota, Honda, and Subaru. Living in the Northeast, that all-wheel drive may come in handy and they are just as highly rated as the other "Japanese" vehicles. I'd be a little leery of Mr. Bishi.

Whatever you do, don't buy one of these:

http://www.oldcaronline.com/photos/673287/673287_1.jpg

That's a classic! On those older cars you have to go into it expecting some maintenance issues but the beauty is, you can work in them yourself, if you're so inclined. These days, there's very little the average guy can do in the way of maintenance.

• Like 1

Certified Pre-Owned Honda Accord v6. 2013 and newer Coupe 2dr.

Full dealer warranty, all maintenance covered. Best bang for the buck. Arguably the best car in it's class.

Just go drive one, you'll see.

Certified Pre-Owned Honda Accord v6. 2013 and newer Coupe 2dr.

Full dealer warranty, all maintenance covered. Best bang for the buck. Arguably the best car in it's class.

Just go drive one, you'll see.

I've got a soft spot for Accord Coupes. I've had two V6 6 speed manual variants myself. Excellent grand tourer type cars.

Sad news: Honda discontinued the Accord Coupe for 2018 :(

• Like 1

So far 2 of 3 of the sales guys, and one manager have called me. I feel a little bad because tomorrow was supposed to be the Kia Soul day, and I told the guy I'd be in. I changed it to today at the last second, and the guy was off. That's how I got the deaf guy.

My 1st new car was the then New, new 2010 Kia Soul, actually purchased in 7/2009

Put 190,000 miles on that car

My 2nd new car was the "turbo" 2017 Soul ( 3/2017 )

Negotiated a good price/deal & since it was 8:30pm on friday I wanted to come back in morning to complete deal

They of course, wanted me to sign right then, kept my plan & was getting in my old soul when manager ran out

and said he had the GM on phone & said they would give me 2K more for my trade if I signed that night..... I did

The 2017 Turbo ! has factory red trim. I add more red accents . . . . .

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af62/GotRush/Soul%20red%20mirrors%204_zps1jdrpord.jpg

Make sure you avoid cars with a CVT transmission. A friend at work had to dump his Accord with only 76,000 miles and my Uncle rented a Nissan Sentra, and the CVT crapped out on his way back home to North Carolina.
  • Like 1

Make sure you avoid cars with a CVT transmission. A friend at work had to dump his Accord with only 76,000 miles and my Uncle rented a Nissan Sentra, and the CVT crapped out on his way back home to North Carolina.

Secondary reason: I hate how CVT's drive. Engine RPM's tend to remain constant under constant acceleration, which is actually very annoying. Some are great, but the advent of polished 8 speed automatics are kind of putting CVT's out of business.

I am a spineless puss. I had decided on a Kia Soul, because the 20 yr old sales manager said my payment goal was reasonable. When it came time to finalize it though, they weren't even close, about 40/month away from what I was aiming for. So then I got the Toyota dealer to agree to a 72 month payment of 263/month. I get to the dealership, and they make me wait an hour to get to the finance guy to sign the papers. And that was enough time for me to change my mind. I got into his office and decided if I wasn't getting a new Soul, I may as well go used. The finance guy was a douche anyway.