Is a song "Stairway to Heaven" overrated?

Texas King

Is a song "Stairway to Heaven" overrated?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Is a song "Stairway to Heaven" overrated?

I agree that it was always overplayed. Much like Bohemian Rhapsody. Definitely not overrated.

Right, and both songs mentioned are overplayed for a reason... They're very good.

• Like 3

NO!

I expected more from you. :P

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Funny fella!

I could have gone off on the overplayed radio wave grave display too but I decided to actually keep it short for once! :P

Kashmir is just as overplayed here in the United States.

Thank God I have Apple Music and my Bluetooth in my Audi.

No need to listen to shit overplayed radio 101. Soccer mom hits 24/7.

Give me "Coda" all they way through. Nothing on "In Through The Outdoor" please! JEEZ! CHEESE!!!

GIVE ME SLEAZE!

Cause I'm "TOO FAST FOR LOVE!"

Gonna stay single, alone without a gold digging honey and focus on making lots of money! For my family and ME ME ME!!! LOL! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

LOOK AT ME!!

NARCISSIST RAMER! LOL!!!!!!!

:7up: :rush: :rush: :rush: :rush: :rush: :rush: :rush: :rush: :rush: :7up:

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

MONEY TALKS SUCKERS WALK BUT YOU LADIES CAN'T TOUCH MY THREE LOCK BOX!

"ONCE BITTEN TWICE SHY!"

"STAND BACK!"

Signed,

Great White and Stevie Nicks

For better or for worse Entre?

• Like 1

NO!

I could have gone off on the overplayed radio wave grave display too but I decided to actually keep it short for once! :P

Give me "Coda" all they way through. Nothing on "In Through The Outdoor" please! JEEZ! CHEESE!!!

GIVE ME SLEAZE!

Gonna stay single, alone without a gold digging honey and focus on making lots of money! For my family and ME ME ME!!! LOL! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

LOOK AT ME!!

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

"ONCE BITTEN TWICE SHY!"

"STAND BACK!"

Signed,

That's for the fans to decide. ;-)

• Like 1

I'm walking down the Stairway To Hell and back.

Gonna steer away from the Hairway To Steven and listen to "Back For The Attack."

I'm gonna pray to God that I can find a sweet Southern Bell some year.

For whom the William Tell tolls.

Some love to be in a RUSH relationship submerged in ice cold beer.

Some love the rocks.

Some love the rolls.

Give me liberty or give me death.

I have a brand new start in life.

Gonna "Yank Me Crank Me" out some Uncle Ted.

Gonna listen to the "Stairway To Heaven" backwards all night long.

Don't need some nagging wife,

Just give me my rock and roll heavy metal injection.

Just give me the needle from a record player,

I'm sporting an audiophile woody tonight!

I'm running clean, lean and mean on a high octane Deep Purple erection. BURN BABY BURN!

You who read this shall never learn!

Led Zeppelin and Def Leppard.

It's all the same lame game.

Big corporate suits make all the money,

While the true talent has "Wasted" away in greed and shame.

"High N Dry" again.

"When The Levee Breaks" so do the hearts of the hard workers in the music biz.

Don't Tread On Me with all of your "Misty Mountain Hop" "Houses Of The Holy" Diver "Hysteria!"

The Billionaire Boyz Club will suck on their root beer float fizz, while the majestic musician swallows that "Black Dog" jizz...........

NO!

GIVE ME SLEAZE!

LOOK AT ME!!

"ONCE BITTEN TWICE SHY!"

"STAND BACK!"

Signed,

That's for the fans to decide. ;-)

Haha! Fair enough! I mean "FAIR WARNING!"

Watch out! You inspired me!

Another poem!

"Dangerous But Worth The Risk?"

Love,

RATT

• Like 1

Voted unsure cause I don't want to get banned.

Dunno about overrated: I have been avoiding Stairway for like 20 years. The syrupy Rain Song is another on my 'Can We Skip This One' list.

Since I've Been Loving You, Ten Years Gone, Tea For One, I'm Gonna Crawl have never been a problem. Go figure.

I think we may need to review the difference between "something that's so popular that I'm now sick of it," and "overrated." Stairway is considered one of the greatest rock songs ever written. So great that pretty much every rock fan owns the album on which it appears, even if they're not a Zeppelin fan. If you like the song, but are tired of hearing it, that doesn't make it overrated. Overrated, although admittedly subjective, means something isn't really that good, but people lavish praise on it. Saying Zeppelin themselves are overrated, for example, would be the correct usage of the term if you believe they're not that good, since many worship them.

Personal opinion aside, NO.

Why?

Because this has always appeared to me to be a revered classic, not just by rock fans, but by music fans in general. Musos, critics, pop fans, casual music fans...I have always been aware that this is a "classic".

Is it overplayed? Most likely, yes. But that is not the same as "overrated". This song never seems to go out of style. For every older fan that tires of it, it seems a new, younger music listener embraces it.

Personally, I don't think it is a favourite of mine. I like it, and would turn up the radio if it came on, but it doesn't connect with me.

But it is a classic, one that has connected with a audience more than most songs ever have, or can.

• Like 2

I think Stairway to Heaven's popularity is mainly a "right place, right time" thing.

Well, sure. Like I think I already said - you almost had to be there when it came out. Same way you had to be there when The Doors first showed up. Or Cream.

What did we have as a point of reference? It was all new back then. Today you can look back on decades of music to see how a band measure up today. But back then, we didn't have that.

Same with Stairway. It made quite the impact.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I think Stairway to Heaven's popularity is mainly a "right place, right time" thing.

Well, sure. Like I think I already said - you almost had to be there when it came out. Same way you had to be there when The Doors first showed up. Or Cream.

What did we have as a point of reference? It was all new back then. Today you can look back on decades of music to see how a band measure up today. But back then, we didn't have that.

Does "right place, right time" imply luck? I know luck is part of success, but whenever I see the term "right place, right time" I get the impression it's suggested the success or reputation isn't entirely deserved.

• Like 1

Does "right place, right time" imply luck? I know luck is part of success, but whenever I see the term "right place, right time" I get the impression it's suggested the success or reputation isn't entirely deserved.

That's not what I mean.

The song is judged today in light of all that came after it. We didn't have that back then. Stairway was the most current. Who did we have to compare it to? We never had music like that before.

I just think that every great song has a window of opportunity, so to speak, to become timeless and Stairway nailed it. The whole acoustic/electric thing, the mysticism in the lyrics, the 70's all played together perfectly. It's not even their best song and none of the others reached this high. There was certainly some luck (or divine intervention) involved.

• Like 1