The "Misplaced Childhood" Progumentary Put Tears In My Eyes! What If! Leave Steve Home. FISH TO TOUR WITH MARILLION 2018? I Would Fly For It!

RUSHHEAD666

This "Misplaced Childhood" Box Set is one of the greatest music creations ever made.

I was all about the audio when I threaded about it.

But tonight I put in the blu-ray!

HOLY SHIT!

Seeing the real band back together in the studio with their original engineer.... Chris Kimsey! As Fish would say.... Fuccck yeah!

I would love to see the original Marillion get back together and leave Steve "H" at HOME. Is this "Anagram For Mongo? LOL! There is an H in HOME. LOL!!!

I love making myself laugh. It's all about the self at my age.

Could you imagine for just one year only that Marillion would tour the world with FISH for one last time.

That would be like UDO touring the world again with ACCEPT. Hmmmmmm....

Yet another pipe dream.

But isn't it fun to dream?

I could see Marillion touring with FISH and playing "Misplaced Childhood" all the way through.

Could have been a "Warm Wet Circles" encore.

Oh well.

Just watch out for the spider........

Signed,

"THE WEB"

• Like 1

Got my Deluxe copy last week, but just had a chance to view the documentary. The whole thing really brought me back to 85/86. I agree - bring back Uncle Fish! Although, by his own admittance, his voice changed and was abused, and he can't really sing those songs in nearly the same key anymore. His voice is shot; way beyond what most other aging singers contend with.
  • Like 1

Got my Deluxe copy last week, but just had a chance to view the documentary. The whole thing really brought me back to 85/86. I agree - bring back Uncle Fish! Although, by his own admittance, his voice changed and was abused, and he can't really sing those songs in nearly the same key anymore. His voice is shot; way beyond what most other aging singers contend with.

His voice is shot but it is human nature! I love him!!! He was so nice to me each time I met him.

The first time was at Tower Records in Concord. He did an in store appearance. So before work I took Wendy my beautiful wife at the time and our little baby Zoe who is now 20 to see FISH.

He was soooooo cool! He signed my "Script" UK vinyl pressing. Then I put little Zoe on his lap! It was only for a few seconds because Zoe started to cry! Classic.

My second time meeting FISH was in Milpitas. He played at this cool little brick club near Fremont Ca. One of my best friends is good friends with Phil Collins and FISH. My buddy drove FISH around the Bay Area for a few days. Fish got hammered that night. He was in Fish form on his bus that night! Epic.

The third time I met FISH was in front of the American Music Hall. We chatted or a few minutes and I told about the Tower Records memory. Of course he didn't remember but he was so nice!!!

I LOVE FISH!

I've met "H" once! He's very much like Neil Peart. Vanishes faster than a shadow on the dark side of the moon.

I love Steven, Mark, Pete and Ian! Great guys!!!

Like seeing PRIMUS open for RUSH on the "Roll The Bones" Tour.

Could you imagine if MARiLLION opened for RUSH in 1987??? "Clutching came out in June of 1987. RUSH toured that same year in October.

Killing me

• Like 1

"I'm losing on the swings... I'm losing on the roundabouts.... the game is over."

I will never find a love again.

Thank God I have Marillion.

Thank the stars I have this Forum.

Don't care that it's public.

I will always be real and true. Even if I do go over the top.

Could you imagine if MARiLLION opened for RUSH in 1987??? "Clutching came out in June of 1987. RUSH toured that same year in October.

Killing me

Earl, we're family, right ?? .. We don't always have to agree, eh ??

Marillion opened for Rush at Radio City Music Hall Sept 1983, and I have never heard a band so unmercifully booed - to the point where couldn't hear the band play ... Rush still had a lot of metalheads as fans, and it was very ugly ..

I almost felt sorry for Marillion, but I hated them ( lol sorry ) ... Looking back, they didn't have a fighting chance and opening for Rush in those days was a tough gig - they were treated unfair, but Fish didn't do anything to endear himself from what I remember ... Three years earlier, Saxon did quite well in the opening slot, but everyone hated Fish, myself included ..

In retrospect, I think a lot of Rush fans at the time were a bit disillusioned with the direction of Rush, and Marillion got the full brunt of it ..

They might have gone over better later in the 80s, but in '83, it was a bad combo

Edited by Lucas

25:40

fan:GET OFF THE STAGE

Fish thank you thank you thank you

fan2 GET OFFFFF

Fish: a song dedicated to Northern Ireland

fan: WHO CARES

lol

Edited by Lucas

I have never understood why Marillion failed to really impress America: here in Europe their crowds went bigger and bigger and there was a good number of metalheads among them (my case at that time).

• Like 2

Pics of Rush from the Radio City Music Hall show, with comments from people below in regard to Marillion, and how they were treated

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/concert-newyork-09.18.1983.php

Marillion keyboardist Mark Kelly:

.. And when they actually walked out on the stage, the fans treated them

like unwashed peasants. "It was awful, terrible, humbling. 'The

audience hated us, I remember one guy standing on a seat in the front

row with his trousers down!' remembers Mark. 'It was a nightmare!'

[footnote: among the audience was Mike Portnoy, later of Dream Theater

and Transatlantic] By the end of the stint, the guys used to travel

up in the lift saying, 'It's Christians and Lions time - off we go!'

After the five days were up, the boys went home, despondent."

Edited by Lucas

Killing me

Marillion opened for Rush at Radio City Music Hall Sept 1983, and I have never heard a band so unmercifully booed - to the point where couldn't hear the band play ... Rush still had a lot of metalheads as fans, and it was very ugly ..

I almost felt sorry for Marillion, but I hated them ( lol sorry ) ... Looking back, they didn't have a fighting chance and opening for Rush in those days was a tough gig - they were treated unfair, but Fish didn't do anything to endear himself from what I remember ... Three years earlier, Saxon did quite well in the opening slot, but everyone hated Fish, myself included ..

In retrospect, I think a lot of Rush fans at the time were a bit disillusioned with the direction of Rush, and Marillion got the full brunt of it ..

They might have gone over better later in the 80s, but in '83, it was a bad combo

Yes Lucas! We are family! I had forgotten about that tour! RUSH skipped the Bay Area to my knowledge for the "Signals" Tour because they got in a fight with Bill Graham over seating issues. Bill wanted GA standing, RUSH wanted seats. So RUSH basically told Bill to FUCKK OFF! RUSH didn't come here for the "Holy Your Fire" Tour as well for the same reason. I am just basing this on my own knowledge. I could be wrong, but I was surely pissed off missing those two tours.

Anyway, yes I get it. Although "Script For A Jester's Tear" is a masterpiece. But thousands of die hard Rush Fanatics are not going to put up with any mediocre opener.

I don't know. I never saw Marillion with FISH. Kills me. I mean Stevie Ray Vaughan opened up for Sammy Hagar back in the early Eighties out here on a rainy California day. People were chucking bottles and shit at Stevie during his performance. Sammy FAGGAR fans HATED SRV!

So I get it.

The opener is always the risk taker.

I hated MR. BIG opening for RUSH! I sat through that shite four times.

Paul Gilbert saved the day.

Nice drill solo.

Anyway, no worries.

My buddies in Y&T told me about the three weeks they opened for RUSH on the GUP TOUR on the EAST COAST.

Even that wasn't pretty.

Rush fans hated Y&T.

Even Geddy had to tell Dave Meniketti to his face to "STOP MAKING FUN OF NEW WAVE MUSIC! WE LIKE IT!"

Crazy shit man.

All is good.

• Like 1

I have never understood why Marillion failed to really impress America: here in Europe their crowds went bigger and bigger and there was a good number of metalheads among them (my case at that time).

I know Geezer! I am a proud American. Born in San Francisco in 1968! But my GOD man. The masses over here have no fuckking clue about quality music.

Why do you think the USA wants everyone to download and buy Apple Music? ZOMBIES!

Japan and the UK still thrive in the cd market. Trust me.

When the Internet crashes and everyone loses their precious compressed shite archives I will have my audiophile cd library.

I'm good until I die.

I feel so sorry for the masses of the modern age.

"May The Farce Be With You!"

Downloading music is for the meek. The weak, and the not so sheik.

"Sheik Yerbouti"

Love,

Frank Zappa

• Like 1

I saw Marillion 2 times in 1985 and both shows were fantastic. One was an indoor show in a really small hall and the setlist was almost identical to the Utrecht show, from the new remastered disc. There was only one alteration to the Utrecht show and that was the first encore, an epic version of Assassing! The other show was this one where they previewed parts of Misplaced Childhood...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlruA2ave8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54f3zRIgzLg

Edited by greyfriar
  • Like 1

Most of America never got Marillion back then. But that run of Radio City shows was the ONLY bad experience for them.

They were loved pretty much anywhere they went. Still are, really. A lot of record stores in the US thought the band was metal because they were in Kerrang! all of the time. Those live shows were among the best there ever was. Many of those legendary shows were recorded. Too bad that there are very few commercially released live albums that show what they were like. The live show on the new reissue is the first time since Recital of the Script that the Fish-era band was properly represented on a commercial live release.

• Like 1

... The live show on the new reissue is the first time since Recital of the Script that the Fish-era band was properly represented on a commercial live release.

Hm, what about these fantastic live box sets?

A Curtain Call (2004)

http://i.imgur.com/Vtf8W0b.jpg

Early Stages (2008)

http://i.imgur.com/ryketve.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ksvL3dl.jpg

• Like 2

... The live show on the new reissue is the first time since Recital of the Script that the Fish-era band was properly represented on a commercial live release.

Hm, what about these fantastic live box sets?

A Curtain Call (2004)

http://i.imgur.com/Vtf8W0b.jpg

Early Stages (2008)

http://i.imgur.com/ryketve.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ksvL3dl.jpg

Two of the best live releases I have. I think I've listened to that Milan show since it was released probably more than any other Marillion album. It's a stunning live document.

Forgot Early Stages is EMI, but Curtain Call is an official bootleg though I suppose technically it was commercially released by the band.

My point is that few people are going to pick up Early Stages unless you are more than a casual fan of the band while there might be more people who might pick up a Misplaced Childhood reissue that wouldn't ordinarily pick up a live release but in this case it's included with the proper album so that might be a gateway for some people after they've checked it out. So I think Utrecht is probably the most high profile Fish-era release since Live at Loreley (of which much of the life has been sucked out.)

• Like 1

Marillion got tagged with the "progressive rock" moniker back in the early 80's so American radio stations wouldn't touch them. That led to poor record company promotion since they knew any money spent was wasted.

Marillion got tagged with the "progressive rock" moniker back in the early 80's so American radio stations wouldn't touch them. That led to poor record company promotion since they knew any money spent was wasted.

The record stores I went to put them in the metal section because they were in Kerrang! all of the time.

Killing me

Fast forward to Madison Square Garden in 1984 on the P/G tour. Fastway opened. Fast Eddie Clarke, right? Ex-motorhead.

Mercilessly booed. FASTWAY SUCKS, WE WANT RUSH. For like the entire set.

Finally Eddie said "We're going to play one more song then get off". Or something like that.

Undeserved for both Marillion and Fastway, IMO.

BTW - I found this old thread only because I'm listening to Marillion today.

When I saw Marillion open for Rush in Cincinnati, I didn't hear any boos, but it wasn't the NYC a-holes type crowd either. I did wonder who put this together because Marillion was a snoozefest. I started listening to Rush because of their hard rocking music and had never even heard of progressive music at that point and still don't care for a lot of it now that I know what it is.

As an aside, I'm seeing Fish a week today. He's doing Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors all the way through.

You lucky son of a gun!

I was lucky once. My buddy back on the "Empire" Tour was Fish's driver. So I went to the gig with him and then we partied on Fish's bus. It was so fun! Fish is a riot. A wonderful drunk! Hence "Fish" because he drinks like one.

I met Fish again many years later in front of the Great American Music Hall.

Fish is great!

As an aside, I'm seeing Fish a week today. He's doing Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors all the way through.

ooooooh!