What are the Most Disappointing Movie Sequels? [part 2s ONLY]

JohnnyBlaze

Curious about the opposite direction  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which ones were better than their originals?

Aliens and Terminator 2 were both better than the originals, though the originals were very good.

excusemeno.gif

You don't need to fake the surprise lol.

If you don't find Alien a terrifying experience, which I never have, it lacks a little. If you find Aliens to be a terrific action movie full of threat and menace, memorable characters, and high end tension, then it has a lot to offer.

Alien and Aliens I both first watched when I was ten. Alien took me years to remotely enjoy. I never found it scary (but in time, I found it entertaining and appreciate it for what it is now). Aliens is a real departure from the first movie, which is what a sequel should be in my opinion. And it suits me better.

Both are masterpieces. But Alien for me fails to be terrifiying, which is its main purpose, but Aliens is truly a thrill ride, an emotional one as well. For me it isn't just a great sequel, but of the two, it is the better standalone film.

This is how I feel as well. I saw all of these movies on their first run in the theater and even though Alien was a great movie and scary as hell when I first saw it I still think the sequel is much better.

• Like 2

I find Aliens pretty inspiring. Ripley is smart, determined, and completely selfless while being put through the wringer. She doesn't take any of Paul Riser's toupee bullshit and even grows a little as a person in regards to her relationship with Bishop. Just a great character that you go on this intense journey with, which is why the beginning of Alien 3 is such a huge slap in the face.

The movie overall is just so well made. Perfectly paced and just damn cool...seriously, has there ever been more bad ass looking movie monsters? That shot of the Xeno coming up behind Newt in the water is sweet...and the queen! Screw CGI, look at that mf'n queen!

So yeah, Aliens is easily my favorite. Not to take anything away from the first movie, I love that one too. It has great atmosphere and a mysterious vibe that can't be beat. I loved wondering wtf was going on with that derelict ship. I didn't dislike Prometheus as much as most people, but they really did f**k up the coolness of the space jockey in that one.

• Like 3

I find Aliens pretty inspiring. Ripley is smart, determined, and completely selfless while being put through the wringer. She doesn't take any of Paul Riser's toupee bullshit and even grows a little as a person in regards to her relationship with Bishop. Just a great character that you go on this intense journey with, which is why the beginning of Alien 3 is such a huge slap in the face.

The movie overall is just so well made. Perfectly paced and just damn cool...seriously, has there ever been more bad ass looking movie monsters? That shot of the Xeno coming up behind Newt in the water is sweet...and the queen! Screw CGI, look at that mf'n queen!

So yeah, Aliens is easily my favorite. Not to take anything away from the first movie, I love that one too. It has great atmosphere and a mysterious vibe that can't be beat. I loved wondering wtf was going on with that derelict ship. I didn't dislike Prometheus as much as most people, but they really did f**k up the coolness of the space jockey in that one.

This. I just have no clue what film Lucas watched but the one I saw is inspirational.

In the first one, Ripley is a survivor. In the second, she is a fighter. She grows as the events worsen. The second film could not be strictly horror. It has to become smarter and sharper, as that is Ripley's journey.

• Like 1

This. I just have no clue what film Lucas watched but the one I saw is inspirational.

In the first one, Ripley is a survivor. In the second, she is a fighter. She grows as the events worsen. The second film could not be strictly horror. It has to become smarter and sharper, as that is Ripley's journey.

Prometheus was a real shame, especially about the space jockey and engineers. Same with Covenant. Ridley seems to want to take all of the scariness and common sense out of the series. When I watched Covenant, all I could think was how stupid these people were running out onto a unexplored world without even running any tests on the air or at the very least, keeping their helmets on. Too many WTF elements to that movie.

• Like 1

Prometheus was a real shame, especially about the space jockey and engineers. Same with Covenant. Ridley seems to want to take all of the scariness and common sense out of the series. When I watched Covenant, all I could think was how stupid these people were running out onto a unexplored world without even running any tests on the air or at the very least, keeping their helmets on. Too many WTF elements to that movie.

I own the original quartet as part of a box set. I only like the first two really. The other two I can watch as part of a marathon, but I rarely commit to that.

I saw Prometheus and intensely hated it. I honestly will not bother with Covenant. I do not feel it necessary at all. They neither add nor take away from the originals. Which is also an argument that can be made for 3 and Resurrection.

Just leave those first two alone. They are more than enough. Add in Terminator and Terminator 2 and you have just about all I need from the horror/action genre.

• Like 1

alright alright

I'll watch it again

;)

• Like 3

I own the original quartet as part of a box set. I only like the first two really. The other two I can watch as part of a marathon, but I rarely commit to that.

I saw Prometheus and intensely hated it. I honestly will not bother with Covenant. I do not feel it necessary at all. They neither add nor take away from the originals. Which is also an argument that can be made for 3 and Resurrection.

Just leave those first two alone. They are more than enough. Add in Terminator and Terminator 2 and you have just about all I need from the horror/action genre.

Same here.

• Like 1

alright alright

I'll watch it again

;)

In person we would have the most debates ever haha

• Like 1

alright alright

I'll watch it again

;)

If you, Lucas, Stormtron, and I were to watch the same movie, one of us would love it, one of us would hate it, one of us it'd depend on their mood, and one of us would put the other three in a figure four leg lock.

http://wrestlingrecaps.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/8203106_orig.jpg

• Like 2

alright alright

I'll watch it again

;)

If you, Lucas, Stormtron, and I were to watch the same movie, one of us would love it, one of us would hate it, one of us it'd depend on their mood, and one of us would put the other three in a figure four leg lock.

http://wrestlingrecaps.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/8203106_orig.jpg

Id love it. Hate it. Like it. Hate it. Rewatch it. Get emotionally confused. Slap Lucas. Rant about everything whilst showing I obviously know nothing. Storm out. Strut in. Pout. Take selfies.

And then kill you all and flirt my way out of court.

• Like 2

Can't believe Speed 2 hasn't been mentioned yet. Siskel and Ebert liked this movie ffs. I love Dafoe but he went *ahem* overboard with his hammy crap.

Yeah pure shitfest of a movie. So bad.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1