Dunkirk

This is not a popular part of history to cover, but the way Nolan made fear and desperation palpable makes me think of when the Russians were closing in on Berlin, and the extreme fear of retaliation. A movie like that will never be made, but I think it's important to tell stories from sides not explored from wars. I know it doesn't fit well with the good vs evil narrative, but I'm still curious.

Have you seen The Book Thief? It's set in Germany during the war and follows the lives of some German families and touches on the fact that not every German during the war was thrilled about Hitler and the Nazi party. It's an excellent movie.

No I haven't but thanks for the suggestion. It sounds like it's worth watching :)

• Like 2

It truly is remarkable that some would watch a movie like that and want to be "entertained". I put that in quotation mark because the kind of entertainment I'm referring to, is that kind of Hollywood entertainment were facts take the back seat. Imagine if Michael Bay had directed this movie - it would have been awful at best.

This is actually the main critique I have of the film. I didn't want to be "entertained", I wanted to experience a historical event that has been largely neglected. I felt that Nolan was trying too hard to make this a masterpiece of film rather than to tell a story. I know I'm in the minority here, but I think it could have been done better. This is my opinion after all, but I feel like he missed a great opportunity.

And I'm not saying that the movie was bad at all because I thought it was a very good movie (for what it was). I'm just not on board with all of the Nolan worshiping that seems to be going on. It's funny, when I'm with people who didn't like the movie, I find myself defending it.

I'm curious as to what you think was left untold, from an historical perspective.

I saw it last night, and thought it was awesome!!! The cinematography is beautiful, and the lack of CGI adds so much grit to the whole movie!

I read this whole thread, and have to disagree with those wanting more dialogue... I found that the lack of it increases the sense of urgency and despair. And it serves the story of one of the characters too. Tom Hardy does a better job with ONE EYEBROW on screen than a lot of actors will do with a lot more to show.

The other thing I found quite interesting - a feeling that might be completely lost these days - is how some of those men felt embarrassed on the way back, thinking the general public would criticize them for having failed, when they were instead praised for their courage. That feeling of accountability seems completely lost in these days of social justice war, where you expect others to do what you should be doing and criticize them if you're not.

One thing that was touched upon here is the accuracy and how Nolan went for the real deal: some of the rescue vessels were the actual ones used at Dunkirk during the war, and the planes were perfect replicas, with one change: the yellow nose paint on the German planes was not used until a few years after that event.

I felt at the edge of my seat for the whole film, and I'm still thinking about it. That veteran comment made me cry too. I'd watch it again today if I could!

• Like 6

I read this whole thread, and have to disagree with those wanting more dialogue... I found that the lack of it increases the sense of urgency and despair. And it serves the story of one of the characters too. Tom Hardy does a better job with ONE EYEBROW on screen than a lot of actors will do with a lot more to show.

That's how I picture reality in the heat of battle. There is no time for chit chat, no time to set up touching stories about their girlfriends back home or what they're going to do after the war it's just "how the hell do we survive this mess." One of my favorite war movies besides Dunkirk is "A Bridge to Far" and one of the most compelling scenes was James Caan trying to get his severely wounded captain through enemy lines and ultimately sticking a gun to the surgeons head to look at the captain. Very little dialogue, no set up story except James Caan briefly assuring the captain he will survive. Edited by alphseeker
  • Like 3

I saw it last night, and thought it was awesome!!! The cinematography is beautiful, and the lack of CGI adds so much grit to the whole movie!

The other thing I found quite interesting - a feeling that might be completely lost these days - is how some of those men felt embarrassed on the way back, thinking the general public would criticize them for having failed, when they were instead praised for their courage. That feeling of accountability seems completely lost in these days of social justice war, where you expect others to do what you should be doing and criticize them if you're not.

One thing that was touched upon here is the accuracy and how Nolan went for the real deal: some of the rescue vessels were the actual ones used at Dunkirk during the war, and the planes were perfect replicas, with one change: the yellow nose paint on the German planes was not used until a few years after that event.

I felt at the edge of my seat for the whole film, and I'm still thinking about it. That veteran comment made me cry too. I'd watch it again today if I could!

:goodone:

Yes, responsibility has been drowned out by virtue signaling.

• Like 1

Saw this film. I got extremely emotional, my hometown made the Spitfires right up to 1945.

The lack of dialogue made this film intense and powerful. It reaffirmed the incredulous perspective the British Navy, Airforce and military

had of what Germany really had prepared on the coast of France.

Here is Spitfire Island in my hometown

spitfire_island_castle_bromwich_birmingham.jpg

At Churchills speech I was a blubbering mess. This film means so much to me.

Lest we forget.

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 6

Saw this film. I got extremely emotional, my hometown made the Spitfires right up to 1945.

The lack of dialogue made this film intense and powerful. It reaffirmed the incredulous perspective the British Navy, Airforce and military

Lest we forget.

Your, and others, reaction to this movie is what I think it was meant to achieve. Never was it intended to be a popcorn-entertainment movie. We know Nolan is able to create those. This is one of those rare visceral movies.

• Like 3

Was I the only one walking out after the end, feeling optimistic and wanting to better myself? That's the effect the Churchill speech had on me.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

I was going to see Churchill when it comes out on video, but I've read that it's grossly inaccurate in regards to Churchill and what he believed and/or did. :huh:

Edited by Principled Man

Was I the only one walking out after the end, feeling optimistic and wanting to better myself? That's the effect the Churchill speech had on me.

Imagine starting a concert with that speech? Hmmm, I wonder which band could pull this off?

• Like 2

Imagine starting a concert with that speech? Hmmm, I wonder which band could pull this off?

I immediately thought of a band but couldn't quite put my tongue on which one :LOL:

• Like 1

I bought a new Blu-ray the other day that included the trailer for Dunkirk as part of the coming attractions. Watching the trailer, I teared up all over again. I had no idea the movie had affected me that powerfully until then. Dunklirk is an official classic, if you haven't seen it yet then you need to immediately.
  • Like 3

Lest we forget.

Thanks for the picture, CTBF! The Spitfire was definitely one of the Allies greatest aircraft! I have a Tamiya !/32 scale Mk. VIII [ which a lot of people thought was the best looking and behaving Spitfire!] That may be my next project...

qZ2cAX3.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1

Lest we forget.

Thanks for the picture, CTBF! The Spitfire was definitely one of the Allies greatest aircraft! I have a Tamiya !/32 scale Mk. VIII [ which a lot of people thought was the best looking and behaving Spitfire!] That may be my next project...

qZ2cAX3.gif

:ebert: Just got my son a model Spitfire for Christmas. Wife got the Revell series and not the Tamiya! D'oh. With trains he prefers diesels and electric. Yet his fav Planes are the old propeller type. Go Figure. He's had a look at your model thread and was impressed! :cheers:

• Like 1

Lest we forget.

qZ2cAX3.gif

:ebert: Just got my son a model Spitfire for Christmas. Wife got the Revell series and not the Tamiya! D'oh. With trains he prefers diesels and electric. Yet his fav Planes are the old propeller type. Go Figure. He's had a look at your model thread and was impressed! :cheers:

It is a fun hobby! Can get exspensive if you get into the tools and Paints if you're OCD about it like I am! I stick to acrylic paints now unless there's a certain color I'm looking for! Water is a MUCH better thinner than that stuff for enamel paints...

9smwetD.gif

• Like 1

Lest we forget.

qZ2cAX3.gif

It is a fun hobby! Can get exspensive if you get into the tools and Paints if you're OCD about it like I am! I stick to acrylic paints now unless there's a certain color I'm looking for! Water is a MUCH better thinner than that stuff for enamel paints...

9smwetD.gif

Good tip. The fumes from the paint may agitate his chest. I'll look out for acrylics.

• Like 1