When is the right time to pack it in....

Phantom

Both of these posts reminded me of Neil Young. He is one of the few artists I can think of that was still going strong(until recently) at the age of 71, performing with new material and reimagining himself in so many different ways

I saw Neil with Crazy Horse about 4 years ago and left the show quite disappointed that they weren't as good as they'd been. The intensity just wasn't there anymore.

I went to see him again last year with Promise of the Real as his backing band, more out of loyalty than anything else and with low expectations, but I was blown away. Their youthful energy really rejuvenated Neil's performance.

Maybe if Rush were to continue in some form that's how they could do it? Although it couldn't really be called Rush if they end up doubling the size of the band!

I remember an interview they did as a group (one of the very few in latter years) with J.D. Roberts before a gig on the Time Machine tour and Neil Peart said he could see them keeping up their level of live performance up for another 4 or 5

years. And it turned out he wasn't far wrong...

Self-fulfilling prophecy maybe?

• Like 1

I saw Neil with Crazy Horse about 4 years ago and left the show quite disappointed that they weren't as good as they'd been. The intensity just wasn't there anymore.

Yeah, but he's still putting out about 3 records every two years and is constantly trying to come up with new ways (granted, some are wacky) of getting his music to his fans. As someone pointed out above, one doesn't even get the impression that Neil Peart has a bit of creative drive anymore, which is sad -- that kind of thing shouldn't be limited by age.

Yeah, but he's still putting out about 3 records every two years and is constantly trying to come up with new ways (granted, some are wacky) of getting his music to his fans. As someone pointed out above, one doesn't even get the impression that Neil Peart has a bit of creative drive anymore, which is sad -- that kind of thing shouldn't be limited by age.

Maybe it's not about his lack of creative drive but rather - his recognition of his current physical limitations.

Or maybe his creative drive is being pointed in another direction: writing, parenting, some other interest

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Rush should have called it a day in 1987 and gone out on a high...just think of all the collaborations we would have got from them in the intervening years....

Billy Joel is doing the residency at the Garden because it's easy money and he can take a car service to "work". His years of alcohol and substance abuse have certainly caught up to him. He even joked after one of his dui's that he had to play 3 nights a week to pay his car insurance premium. His voice isn't nearly what it was, but he did the smart thing and started adjusting the key on some songs. It works for some of the songs, but not for others. The one band that I saw just outside of their "big" moment was Everclear. Probably about 16 years ago and WOW were they brutal. Art's voice was beyond wrecked to the point that he was basically just talking the lyrics. I left about halfway through. One guy who seems ageless even after battling throat problems is Jon Anderson. The YES 35th anniversary tour was insane and he sounded nearly perfect.

As far as Geddy goes, I wonder how he would have sounded over the last 4-5 tours if he hadn't taken voice instruction and/or started with the "yodeling"....

• Like 1

I wonder what Neil does to occupy his time every day now, doing nothing gets tedious after a while?

Probably writing and it doesn't sound like Neil ever just sat around and did nothing.

Billy Joel is doing the residency at the Garden because it's easy money and he can take a car service to "work". His years of alcohol and substance abuse have certainly caught up to him. He even joked after one of his dui's that he had to play 3 nights a week to pay his car insurance premium. His voice isn't nearly what it was, but he did the smart thing and started adjusting the key on some songs. It works for some of the songs, but not for others. The one band that I saw just outside of their "big" moment was Everclear. Probably about 16 years ago and WOW were they brutal. Art's voice was beyond wrecked to the point that he was basically just talking the lyrics. I left about halfway through. One guy who seems ageless even after battling throat problems is Jon Anderson. The YES 35th anniversary tour was insane and he sounded nearly perfect.

As far as Geddy goes, I wonder how he would have sounded over the last 4-5 tours if he hadn't taken voice instruction and/or started with the "yodeling"....

Is that true about Billy Joel and his drinking? I never knew.

You're right about Jon Anderson. He still sounds amazing for a man his age.

There comes a time when everyone just has to hang it up. Even if you manage to still sound good, the strain of touring is risky for an older person.

Edited by Lorraine

I have arthritis in my hands mainly across my knuckles but I can still play guitar pretty good (in fact I am bloody brilliant,ha ha)but I am starting to lose it,missing notes,etc.Years of factory work with fixing frozen machinery saw to that.At 55 years old I am getting as much in as I can.Also I am pretty sure I have some deafness(industrial?)because I have problems separating frequencies when playing in my band.In fact I much prefer doing my solo act playing acoustic and soft electric stuff at markets and coffee shops.I play bass in the band and I could unhappily play plodding single root notes instead of tricky little runs and just wait and see what happens first,arthritis or deafness.As we all know Rush music is tricky but we still have Yes making and performing new and old music but not all the original members.And we don't want a Keith Emerson situation where we see our virtuosity drop and go to extremes.If Neil and Alex and for that matter Geddy's voice aren't up to their standards then so be it.
  • Like 2

I thought I read somewhere that Billy's drinking days are behind him but like many, he's channelled his habits in mostly more constructive areas.. Motorcycle manufacturing for one...cooking for another....I understand he spends Sundays cooking and trying home made Italian food... Not a bad way to spend the day.

Just saw the "Jethro Tull by Ian Anderson" tour last night and enjoyed it a lot. Technically Ian disbanded Tull in 2011 and in doing so all the long time members left including drummer Doane Perry (a pal of Neil's) and guitarist Martin Barre who's been with Ian since the second album...though in Rush speak he's still the 'new guy' :)

Folks here always slag on Geddy's voice but Ian's voice has truly been gone for 25 years now and it is to the point where on several songs he needs back up vocalists to fill in. Despite that, his showmanship, stage presence and musicianship on the flute remain amazing. For a bloke that just turned 70 he still runs around pretty damn well! Loved the format of no opening act, just two sets of Tull music with a brief intermission.

Like Rush, Ian chose songs that fit what his voice can manage these days, and with a catalog of so much great music there is plenty to pick from. For some of the numbers he "had to play...Aqualung, Locomotive Breath, etc." he used additional vocalists to fill in , and it worked fine on stage.

So when is the right time to quit? Next year is the 50th Anniversary of Jethro Tull and Ian's announced a final tour for the UK with many more dates to come around the world. One thing about Tull, when they tour they truly play all over the world..not just the North America and Western Europe.

As a side note, Martin Barre has been touring clubs and small venues the past few years and I've seen him perform several times and will again in October. Flat out amazing, hard rocking original numbers and few lesser played Tull gems and just a great, great group of musicians including Jonathan Joseph (Jeff Beck group) on drums. Love seeing these guys perform for the sheer love of playing live. I think Martin's having far more fun than he did in all those years in Tull, he too is now 70 but as the song says 'no way to slow down'.

• Like 1

I'd reiterate that Rush's music, played live, is much more physically demanding for Neil than drumming is for most other drummers of that era. Don't hang on too long I say.. Go out while you're in great form. Edited by Phantom

Sir Paul Mc Cartney doesn' think it is time to pack yet at 75 :codger: doing 2.50-3 hr hr concerts every other night and touring to south america and australia this year I think....seems not to be afraid of dying on stage this gentleman. My wholehearted respects.

And he sings every song in original key!

I saw Gordon Lightfoot a couple of years ago.. Much as I love him and him being the Canadian icon that he is, i felt bad for him.. He gave it his best, but his age truly showed... On top of that, It also made me realize that we are all going to go through this aging process, that was sad to grasp...

Well, maybe if he didn't sleep with his clothes on or take a two smoke walk, he'd be better....or maybe just feels more comfortable being home on the strange