Songs You Like From Artists You Don't

Lucas

This could be looked at a few different ways:

1) A song that you like just the way it is, however, you never really cared for the artist ..

2) A song that you find appealing, however, the final product would be more enjoyable if another artist did it ..

I never cared for Peter Gabriel, but I really like "Here Comes The Flood" - exactly the way he did it .. I wish he'd have done more like it as far as his vocal approach - the usual pretense isn't there ..

The other example might be "Lucky Strike" from Maroon 5 .. The bones are there - it's a good song - but the band just has no appeal to me .. Dreamcatcher's cover is great - I love it ..

Anyways, tell me what I am missing from Peter Gabriel - I know he's gotta have some other songs that I'd like ..

• Like 2

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Higher Ground

I much prefer Stevie Wonder's original version so it's a little surprising to me that I can like this song. Also, I almost always dislike/hate Anthony Kiedis' vocals but in this one, I give him a pass. Instrumentally, everyone covers it respectably.

• Like 1

I never cared for Peter Gabriel, but I really like "Here Comes The Flood" - exactly the way he did it .. I wish he'd have done more like it as far as his vocal approach - the usual pretense isn't there ..

Which one? There are two versions.

• Like 1

simple kind of man - lynryd skynyrd

flirtin with disaster - molly hatchet

I usually don't like southern redneck rock, but these are two exceptions where they hit it out of the park. The dualing guitar solos on flirtin are epic.

• Like 2

Closer-The Chainsmokers

Good song but not so great band

That would fall under the category of songs I despise from bands that I still despise for me.

That said, the song they did with Coldplay is bearable enough for me to lightly enjoy; for this I blame Coldplay.

• Like 2

Hm...

Never been a big Nirvana fan, but Bloom is excellent. Also Heart Shaped Box.

• Like 2

I had no idea

This is the one I know

• Like 1

I had no idea

This is the one I know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb7htoJAK7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wS8V8vCUqw

• Like 1

This could be looked at a few different ways:

1) A song that you like just the way it is, however, you never really cared for the artist ..

2) A song that you find appealing, however, the final product would be more enjoyable if another artist did it ..

The other example might be "Lucky Strike" from Maroon 5 .. The bones are there - it's a good song - but the band just has no appeal to me .. Dreamcatcher's cover is great - I love it ..

Anyways, tell me what I am missing from Peter Gabriel - I know he's gotta have some other songs that I'd like ..

Here Comes The Flood is an amazing song So is Games Without Frontiers. Both songs I became aware of because of a TV show. I'm not sure how much more I would get into Gabriel's music overall, but those 2 songs are A+.

• Like 1

Karma Police - Radiohead

Kiss From a Rose - Seal :ph34r:

Hemorrhage - Fuel

Prong - Snap Your Fingers...

Prong - Whose Fist Is This Anyway?

The Eagles - Hotel California

Train - Drops of Jupiter

Toby Keith/Willie - Beer For My Horses

Zombie - The Cranberries

Some Kind of Monster - Metallica (because of the album)

(Yes, I'm all over the map)

• Like 1

I never really liked Bruce Springsteen much at all, but I do LOVE his song "I'm On Fire".

Mainly because I didn't actually know it was him when I first heard it on a radio station...

• Like 4

Daughter by Pearl Jam. Love the song but never warmed to the group after hearing 10 back in the day. I think it's an Eddie singing style thing mostly, not their overall sound. (Like Better Man and Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town too, so maybe I need to check out more post-10 Pearl Jam.)

Clocks by Coldplay. Heard the song before I knew anything else about/by the band so it didn't have to overcome any bias. Now I don't think I would get past the first few notes of the vocals before bailing.

Strong Enough by Cheryl Crow. Don't dislike Cheryl just have no interest apart from this song (and Every Day is a Winding Road)

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

I never really liked Bruce Springsteen much at all, but I do LOVE his song "I'm On Fire".

Mainly because I didn't actually know it was him when I first heard it on a radio station...

I like a few of his songs, but I just can't get into The Boss.

• Like 1