ABBA: Yay or Nay?

Texas King

ABBA: Yay or Nay?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. ABBA: Yay or Nay?

ABBA are leagues ahead of Toto.

Not even gonna deny it.

yea but it's funny when cheese like abba get's patted on the back. but if you like Toto it's just leave now, lol

Mick

But ABBA are all round magic. They have something better than Toto it's not even comparable.

And both get a lot of flack so it's hardly like ABBA are a forum favourite.

But yeah I'd ditch Toto for ABBA and not regret it even slightly.

• Like 3

I'm surprised ABBA has such a base here.

gee and i get rapped for Toto

lol

Mick

I'm surprised too, but I thought it was Segue who loved Toto?

he does. i remain shocked ABBA didn't get ripped a new one.....here of all places. ah double standards, lol

Mick

I should say so! Here. :o Of all places! :o

:laughing guy:

Thanks for the laugh.

Mick

• Like 1

Not even gonna deny it.

yea but it's funny when cheese like abba get's patted on the back. but if you like Toto it's just leave now, lol

Mick

But ABBA are all round magic. They have something better than Toto it's not even comparable.

lol it's ok it really is.

just gave me a good laugh is all.

Because it is aa tad strange. to me.

Mick

The love here on the forum is not surprising .. Musicians from all styles and genres have spoke of the influence and love

Sex Pistols bassist Glen Matlock was a huge fan, nicking SOS for Pretty Vacant .. He even waited at airport to catch a glimpse of ABBA when their plane came in ..

Artists as diverse as Ash, Redd Kross, Erasure, Pete Cetera, Helloween, Yngwie have covered ABBA songs

The greatness of an artist can be gauged by how their influence spreads into all styles of music

https://tylerburnham.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/abba-is-more-punk-than-the-sex-pistols/

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Underneath all those fantastic songs and harmonies, there is a sincerity and naiveté that puts ABBA in another stratosphere ..

The two couples, and as time went on and they separated, the music and lyrics became more poignant and moving

"Winner Takes It All" is gut wrenching knowing what Agnetha and Bjorn were going thru at the time

Agreed...Chiquitita is also gut-wrenching.

One of my favs is Fernando.

• Like 2

ABBA was so huge back in the Seventies. Did you know that ABBA grossed more revenue that the VOLVO Corporation back then?

ABBA was offered half a billion dollars to do a reunion tour. Everyone was on board except for Agnetha. STAGE FRIGHT!

• Like 1

ABBA was so huge back in the Seventies. Did you know that ABBA grossed more revenue that the VOLVO Corporation back then?

ABBA was offered half a billion dollars to do a reunion tour. Everyone was on board except for Agnetha. STAGE FRIGHT!

Earl, I think was actually one billion

3. ABBA refuse to reform and tour. How much so? They turned down $1 billion to reunite and tour. Read that again

https://tylerburnham.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/abba-is-more-punk-than-the-sex-pistols/

Earl, I think was actually one billion

3. ABBA refuse to reform and tour. How much so? They turned down $1 billion to reunite and tour. Read that again

https://tylerburnham...he-sex-pistols/

That's insane!

• Like 1

ABBA over Ki$$.

HAHAHA! Don't FU++ with Lucas! My God I love ABBA and KISS! KISS in black leather. ABBA in white! Reminds me of my love for ANGEL. They wore all white too. Casablanca Record Label.

"THE TOWER!"

"On Earth As It Is In Heaven"

Punky Meadows!

Frank Zappa and Terry Bozzio hate him! LOL!

Interesting to note.

I actually get Myles tonight.

As I had typed earlier. ABBA the Swedish Beatles.

It's not about better or equal.

All I know is that when I put on a Beatles record every song is a hit.

When I put on an ABBA song, I love everything they have ever written.

I get it.

• Like 1

ABBA over Ki$$.

HAHAHA! Don't FU++ with Lucas! My God I love ABBA and KISS! KISS in black leather. ABBA in white! Reminds me of my love for ANGEL. They wore all white too. Casablanca Record Label.

"THE TOWER!"

Punky Meadows!

Interesting to note.

I get it.

I don't have the link as it was a while ago, but there was a survey done in Sweden - random people were shown photos of The Prime Minister Of Sweden and shown photos of the iconic KISS makeup designs

MORE PEOPLE KNEW KISS THAN THEIR OWN PRIME MINISTER !!!

• Like 1

ABBA over Ki$$.

"THE TOWER!"

Punky Meadows!

Interesting to note.

I get it.

I don't have the link as it was a while ago, but there was a survey done in Sweden - random people were shown photos of The Prime Minister Of Sweden and shown photos of the iconic KISS makeup designs

MORE PEOPLE KNEW KISS THAN THEIR OWN PRIME MINISTER !!!

Hahaha! That is EPIC and absolutely not surprising!

• Like 1

Not even gonna deny it.

Mick

Mick

There is nothing strange about it at all. Toto are just another american rock radio band with pretty faceless music. I love it. But they are quite generic.

ABBA created their own sound, had immediately recognisable harmonies, extremely complex at times octave changes, ridiculously memorable melodies, a gift for the light and a penchant for deeply revealing emotive lyrics. They could toy with any style at all and make it their own as if they were the trailblazers.

Listen to a song like Nina Pretty Ballerina and then...less than a decade later...the haunting, tribal, bleak and stark title track to The Visitors.

People may scoff but considering the success they had was IN SPITE of where they came from, to the degree they had it, leaves ABBA in a category of one. Like The Beatles, many bands have a comparablw sound, but no one comes close to that magic.

And Toto is a really poor example to compare them too. A bettwr example to my mind is Buckingham Nicks era Fleetwood Mac, as both bands were an influence on each other back in the day.

But yeah...ABBA don't represent double standards here. They are amongst the most respected bands in music history. Everyone from Opeth to Erasure it seems has revealed a love for them.

And they made it all sound so effortless.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Not even gonna deny it.

Mick

Mick

There is nothing strange about it at all. Toto are just another american rock radio band with pretty faceless music. I love it. But they are quite generic.

ABBA created their own sound, had immediately recognisable harmonies, extremely complex at times octave changes, ridiculously memorable melodies, a gift for the light and a penchant for deeply revealing emotive lyrics. They could toy with any style at all and make it their own as if they were the trailblazers.

Listen to a song like Nina Pretty Ballerina and then...less than a decade later...the haunting, tribal, bleak and stark title track to The Visitors.

People may scoff but considering the success they had was IN SPITE of where they came from, to the degree they had it, leaves ABBA in a category of one. Like The Beatles, many bands have a comparablw sound, but no one comes close to that magic.

And Toto is a really poor example to compare them too. A bettwr example to my mind is Buckingham Nicks era Fleetwood Mac, as both bands were an influence on each other back in the day.

But yeah...ABBA don't represent double standards here. They are amongst the most respected bands in music history. Everyone from Opeth to Erasure it seems has revealed a love for them.

Even a band you hate called GHOST covers ABBA!

I am seeing GHOST tonight in San Francisco! The Warfield! Can't wait! A Devil's Christmas!

Then Ghost is opening up for Maiden on the 5th! Oakland! SO PUMPED! I am taking my 80 year young dad to the gig!

My dad is METAL!

Not even gonna deny it.

Mick

Mick

I am seeing GHOST tonight in San Francisco! The Warfield! Can't wait! A Devil's Christmas!

Then Ghost is opening up for Maiden on the 5th! Oakland! SO PUMPED! I am taking my 80 year young dad to the gig!

My dad is METAL!

Believe or not but Ghost have slowly grown on me.

It took a while to click.

They have some really cool vibes that didn't stand out the first time.

• Like 1

Not even gonna deny it.

Mick

Mick

My dad is METAL!

My God, I mean my Devil!

I love that you and I can fight and be lame to each other yet still be cool!!

I love this Forum!

Myles!

It's true! Some bands and songs take a while to "grow" on you.

I mean confession time.

I hated "Appetite For Destruction" upon my first listening.

I thought GNR were a bunch of posers and fakes!

I actually returned the cassette to Rasputin's.

I got a credit slip for 70% LOL!

But a month later I bought "Appetite" again and fell in love with it!!!

I remember buying "Hysteria" by Def Leppard with a buddy of mine when it came out.

I had an Alpine cassette deck in my 1985 black MR2. I put in Hysteria hit the freeway at about 80 mph.

After "Women" my buddy and I were like WTF??

Then "Rocket" came on. We were in shock. We thought it was garbage.

I was on the freeway man going 80 mph.

I rolled down my window, ejected the cassette and threw it out the window. The cassette tape was destroyed upon impact.

BUT!

A month later I bought Hysteria again and I liked it!

Damn! I am so fickle.

I don't give anything a chance.

"Take A Chance"

Love,

ABBA

ABBA RULES!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

Not even gonna deny it.

Mick

Mick

My dad is METAL!

My God, I mean my Devil!

I love that you and I can fight and lame yet still be cool!!

I love this Forum!

Myles!

It's true! Some bands and songs take a while to "grow" on you.

I mean confession time.

I hated "Appetite For Destruction" upon my first listening.

I thought GNR were a bunch of posers and fakes!

I actually returned the cassette to Rasputin's.

I got a credit slip for 70% LOL!

But a month later I bought "Appetite" again and fell in love with it!!!

I remember buying "Hysteria" by Def Leppard with a buddy of mine when it came out.

I had an Alpine cassette deck in my 1985 black MR2. I put in Hysteria hit the freeway about about 80 mph.

After "Women" my buddy and I were like WTF??

Then "Rocket" came on. We were in shock. We thought it was garbage.

I was on the freeway man going 80 mph.

I rolled down my window, ejected the cassette and threw it out the window. The cassette tape was destroyed upon impact.

BUT!

A month later I bought Hysteria again and I liked it!

Damn! I am so fickle.

I don't give anything a chance.

"Take A Chance"

Love,

ABBA

ABBA RULES!

Yeah sorry for being such a jerk the other week lol. I've had an intense year and I've grown so attached to my favourite bands, when they get slighted it feels personal (I think we can all get like that when our heads in a bad place).

But yeah, Ghost are humorous. I took all the satanic stuff very literally and I still don't like it for personal reasons but I do like the weirdness of it all.

To see such organic music hit the mainstream is wonderful. And they have some killer hooks.

I'm won over but I'm not a big fan. But yeah it's a mystery to me why they left me so cold.

I did feel irritated though seeing Nightwish slagged off everywhere though...now that did seem personal hence my total pansy outburst (see earl...i know I can be a total ass and I will always raise my hand when I know I've been a tool).

• Like 2