Hold Your Fire/ASOH guitar sound

TFEman

Anyone have a patch or something that's really close to the dirty sound Alex had during the Hold Your Fire tour? Was just listening to A Show of Hands and I love the guitar tone. I would prefer the tour sound over the album but I'll take what I can get. So anyone have anything close?

I believe he used a Gallien Kruger 2000 CPL preamp, so your best bet would be hunting down one of those. The Signature guitars with active single coil pickups were also a huge part of his tone. His setup back then suffered through what I like to call "Rare 80s Gear Syndrome". I've gotten almost in the ballpark by using my Epiphone Les Paul Custom through my Rockman Guitar Ace on the semi-clean setting. Experimenting with an EQ after that should get you close. Also, I believe he used both the middle and bridge pickups together on some HYF tunes, if that helps. Edited by Ash-517
  • Like 1

I believe he used a Gallien Kruger 2000 CPL preamp, so your best bet would be hunting down one of those. The Signature guitars with active single coil pickups were also a huge part of his tone. His setup back then suffered through what I like to call "Rare 80s Gear Syndrome". I've gotten almost in the ballpark by using my Epiphone Les Paul Custom through my Rockman Guitar Ace on the semi-clean setting. Experimenting with an EQ after that should get you close. Also, I believe he used both the middle and bridge pickups together on some HYF tunes, if that helps.

It was definitely something from Gallien Kruger. He was doing ads for them in different guitar magazines. Also, in the HYF tour book, he specifically mentions Gallien Kruger for his amps. It was because of that that I bought a Gallien Kruger 250ML amp, the one with the two 5 inch speakers. :lol:

It wasn't much to look at it, but it cut through the mix in small venues, and it had a direct out to go into the P.A. for larger gigs. It had clean and dirty channels, and onboard chorus and echo. Not a bad little combo for 1988.

It was definitely something from Gallien Kruger. He was doing ads for them in different guitar magazines. Also, in the HYF tour book, he specifically mentions Gallien Kruger for his amps. It was because of that that I bought a Gallien Kruger 250ML amp, the one with the two 5 inch speakers. :lol:

It wasn't much to look at it, but it cut through the mix in small venues, and it had a direct out to go into the P.A. for larger gigs. It had clean and dirty channels, and onboard chorus and echo. Not a bad little combo for 1988.

I've always been fascinated by those 250ML amps (and the 250RL head). Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day used one on their first couple of albums (39/Smooth and Kerplunk) and had an almost Rockman-esque midrange bark to his tone. Anyway back on the Rush side of things I just got a telecaster about 2 days ago and the bridge single coil gets freakishly close to Lerxt's tones from the Roll The Bones era, and I'm wondering if I could get in the HYF territory with a bit of tweaking.

I'm working on something similar now. Ive got a Signature Aurora going into a GK 2000 cpl, through a donner tri chorus, a boss ce-20 running in dimensional mode, into my interface feeding Amplitube with some EQ, reverb and a touch of flange. Definitely a work in progress.

Heres a sample, excuse the sloppy playing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OkRqo1MvJuRLSWuwTNUqMGnsAJ0l7CEh/view?usp=sharing

This is as close as I've come with my tele (I'm still learning the song so it's a bit rough but it seemed like a good example). Not very close but it's in the ballpark. I'm running the rig on the following settings:

Squier CV 50's telecaster (bridge pickup)>Boss SD-1 (Tone at 3 o'clock, drive off, level at 12 o'clock)>Boss katana 100 mkii (Lead setting, variation switch off, gain at 12 o'clock, volume full, bass at 10 o'clock, mids on full, treble and presence at 12 o'clock)>Line out

I have a feeling that's as good as it will get if I don't break down and get a gallien krueger preamp and some EMG single coils.