Should we expect a biography by alex and geddy?

I don't imagine there's a bunch of big exciting stories to tell since they weren't really partiers or single for that matter.

Are you joking? TRF got excited when Geddy & his daughter were on some dumb sitcom as extras a decade or so back. So, I think many here WOULD be interested in their thoughts on those early days.

[translated as: I totally hear you. There likely aren't any of THOSE "exciting" stories to tell. BUT Beyond the Lighted Stage didn't have any of THOSE exciting stories to tell either...yet it was exciting.]

Yeah but we've seen all that already.

I'm not saying to repeat those same stories. I'm saying there are probably more. No way ALL of their 70s anecdotes were told in that BTLS segment. No way.

So what kind of stories would you want to hear?

The kinds of stories I haven't heard yet. :P

Not sure. But I wouldn't be looking for any groupie type tales (if those stories even exist).

I'd guess some of the late 60s to mid 70s conversations they had with other musicians, friends, and their parents were interesting. Maybe not to them. But hey, we're their fans. It was fun hearing about how much they got paid for that first gig at the Coff-in (or whatever it was called) and what they did with the earnings. It was also a good look into who they were at the time and where they wanted to go. Then you have the background setting of the late 60s to mid 70s in which these anecdotes took place. I just think there's something there.

I was seriously curious because life on the road can be extremely boring. Usually pretty much the same thing day after day. And if you knock out any stories about gear or one night stands which I seriously doubt there were, just seems like there's probably not a lot there.

Both guys are more than capable of writing entertaining reads. Rock star books don't always have to be about drugs, breakdowns and salaciousness. They could even collaborate and name it "2 Boring Guys from Canada" to eliminate that expectation. ;)

Alex has a knack for humor and surely has more funny observations and stories besides The Bag from all his years on the road.

Geddy could expand on his up-bringing. Facing anti-semitism, losing his father so young and how music inspired his direction. Writing might also help him find closure on the ending of the band and his complex feelings about Neil.

Both guys could obviously discuss gear, memorable gigs, specifics about writing/recording particular songs and albums, how and why they decided on the different musical style shifts over time, setlists and their favorite songs to play, fan enthusiasm and loyalty, and the dynamics of their 50-year friendship.

There is PLENTY for them to write about.

But do I think either will *actually* do a book? No. Main reason being they don't need or seek the attention.

• Like 5

No. Neither are writers.

Tons of books out there from musicians who previously never typed a sentence in their entire life. And if they can't write well enough themselves, they just relate the stories to the person who actually arranges them into a book.

• Like 2

No. Neither are writers.

Tons of books out there from musicians who previously never typed a sentence in their entire life. And if they can't write well enough themselves, they just relate the stories to the person who actually arranges them into a book.

Ghostwriter

• Like 1

I know it´s unlikely, but I wouldn´t mind it if they released autobios. On the other hand, they all got married quite early, and are family oriented guys. I wonder what kind of subject would be of interest to the average reader - tales of groupies, downfalls into depression, tensions within the band, shooting heroin and snorting cocaine with Mr. Big in the 90´s (all family oriented guys as well, by the way)?

Geddy stated that he's discovered publishing to be interesting after working on his Large Bible of Fat Bass. I could see him writing a Rush-centric book of some sort, especially since he's always been the group leader and is obviously the most emotionally invested in the group.

Alex, God love him, but I can't see him typing a single chapter of anything. He's a crackup and they tend to be terrible writers.

• Like 1

Doubt it. They were all reluctant to do the Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary as they just didn't feel that their story was all that interesting. Since they had to be convinced to allow someone else to do the documentary, I don't see them writing an autobiography on their own.
  • Like 1

Doubt it. They were all reluctant to do the Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary as they just didn't feel that their story was all that interesting. Since they had to be convinced to allow someone else to do the documentary, I don't see them writing an autobiography on their own.

If this is true then why did they also do "Time Stand Still"? I found it to be boring and stopped watching it, whereas "Beyond The Lighted Stage" is easy to re-watch. Anyhow hope they'll still stay in the public eye.

Unlikely I would say, but surely they couldn't be as stultifyingly boring as Neils efforts.

What exactly did you find boring? I really liked reading his books. He was an excellent writer with a very advanced vocabulary.

• Like 2

we know they like to keep busy.i would be 1st in line to buy both books. you guys think there is much of a chance for it to happen in the next few years?

ok, so it will take 5 years, but yay!

• Like 5

Interesting that when such and such is rolling around nicely, all is known and everything must be already written about, right?

Yet here we are and some new writing is announced and some of us get super excited. It is exciting, we love these guys!!.

• Like 1

we know they like to keep busy.i would be 1st in line to buy both books. you guys think there is much of a chance for it to happen in the next few years?

ok, so it will take 5 years, but yay!

I'd love to get an unedited copy.

Cool. And leave the f***ing swearing in, adds tone and color!

With Alex we may have to wait five years. I'm seeing him as an older person dealng with his physical problems. Psoriatic arthritis is a bitch! Were I in his position, I'd be using a lot of weed.

• Like 2