STYX - Don't forget now kids

This album is a lot better second time around.

I might end up buying this, which is great as I haven't enjoyed anything after the sublime Paradise Theater.

A real grower, it's surprising how much their is still left in this band. Maybe constant touring has given them a hunger for more?

7/10

A 14 year wait since your last studio album might have fed this as well. Honestly I had given up hoping for another album.

I really like Cyclorama a lot, but The Mission is better and certainly more consistent.

• Like 1

This album is a lot better second time around.

I might end up buying this, which is great as I haven't enjoyed anything after the sublime Paradise Theater.

A real grower, it's surprising how much their is still left in this band. Maybe constant touring has given them a hunger for more?

7/10

A 14 year wait since your last studio album might have fed this as well. Honestly I had given up hoping for another album.

I really like Cyclorama a lot, but The Mission is better and certainly more consistent.

I didn't like Cyclorama too much, but i always thought the best of that and that final Deyoung album could have been awesome.

I don't think this album is going to get a higher rating from me, but I don't see 7/10 as a bad rating at all. That's a low 4/5 and I think it's very fair.

So far nothing stands out because it works as a whole. A few more listens I am sure will reveal even more cool details.

I've listened to Styx all day today.

They're definitely my fav AOR band. More versatile than REO, better albums than Foreigner, more interesting than Journey (and I love Journey), more direct than Toto, and not as long-winded (and sometimes trying) as Kansas. Oh, and Boston has one great album and a handful of other great tunes. Not enough. Styx is my choice of them all.

In fact, Styx is probably one of my top ten favorite bands. If I could compile such a list with any degree of accuracy, I wouldn't be surprised to find them there. They're definitely top 20.

However, as great as The Mission is, DeYoung's absence will always be felt. No slight against Gowan, but just listen to the start of Castle Walls, or the middle of Superstars, or just the whole The Grand Illusion album, and tell me his DNA wasn't an essential ingredient of the band.

"Once, in a dreeaaaam..."

A voice crafted for the spotlight.

• Like 2

They're definitely my fav AOR band. More versatile than REO, better albums than Foreigner, more interesting than Journey (and I love Journey), more direct than Toto, and not as long-winded (and sometimes trying) as Kansas. Oh, and Boston has one great album and a handful of other great tunes. Not enough. Styx is my choice of them all.

In fact, Styx is probably one of my top ten favorite bands. If I could compile such a list with any degree of accuracy, I wouldn't be surprised to find them there. They're definitely top 20.

However, as great as The Mission is, DeYoung's absence will always be felt. No slight against Gowan, but just listen to the start of Castle Walls, or the middle of Superstars, or just the whole The Grand Illusion album, and tell me his DNA wasn't an essential ingredient of the band.

I totally get it man. STYX is my favorite AOR band too. BY FAR! I love the first three Boston records but man STYX has a much more extensive catalog. Been listening to STYX all week. They are still so great live! Can't wait to see them again in September!!

• Like 1

Agreed. As much as I like the album, imagine if DeYoung had been a part of it. I know, I know, enjoy it for what it is, but it's hard not to think of what could have been.

I think the score of 7/10 by Segue sounds about right.

• Like 1

Agreed. As much as I like the album, imagine if DeYoung had been a part of it. I know, I know, enjoy it for what it is, but it's hard not to think of what could have been.

if they could keep him in check.

it's a dangerous thing. we could have got Kilroy 2

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

Maybe Kilroy would've been better off as a double album in the first place. One of the most frustrating things about it is how many of its few songs are either mediocre or just not good. At least a double album would've had the potential for some better deeper cuts, lol.

• Like 1

Mick

Absolutely! Mick is right on the money! Dennis wanted to turn STYX into some lame ass Broadway Play Theater Fruit Loop Band! Thank the stars above they canned that little baby bottle sucking boob and Shaw took over. I am sure that competition and Let Go Of My Eggo I mean EGO battle was very strong even going back to the "Crystal Ball" daze when STYX was smart to inject a young guitar slinger/song writer into the line up! Tommy is sooooooo much more talented than Dennis DeOld. Do you have the Dennis DeYoung Live In LA cd/blu? It's actually very good but man, Dennis was on the verge of destroying STYX. "Babe" was the dagger in the heart for me. "Paradise Theater" brilliant. "Killjoy Was Here" a disaster, but I love "Heavy Metal Poisoning." I'm not a big fan of either Dennis or Gowan. Both are very weak vocally but both are very very talented. I hated Gowan when he joined that band. I hated that stupid spinning keyboard. I actually still do. I can't stand Gowan's lame ass blue striped hair cut. Gowan and Mike Portannoy should get a room and have a Blue Beard and Blue Hair Love Affair. Geezus.

It wasn't until last year when I saw STYX in Stockton CA of all places. My buddy and I and his son went up there. Front row center. I was blown away and Gowan was amazing that night. I think Gowan had me sold during his solo spot when he sang some Bowie, some Queen and some ELP.

That's another overlooked wonder by STYX. When a musical legend passes away the band pays homage to them. Y&T does the same thing. CLASS.

I was checking out some earlier STYX set lists on this tour and I noticed they paid their respects and played something for Gregg Allman.

At then end of the day, this band is simply one of the greatest rock bands in human existence.

I think Todd Sucherman is easily a top 10 top 20 drummer.

Any drummer who has incorporated octobans into their set is top notch in my book! I have four in my kit and I am a nobody.

• Like 1

Mick

Maybe Kilroy would've been better off as a double album in the first place. One of the most frustrating things about it is how many of its few songs are either mediocre or just not good. At least a double album would've had the potential for some better deeper cuts, lol.

More like Kill Joy.

• Like 2

Mick

Right. Careful what you wish for and all...

• Like 1

Wait, so James Young is a great singer, but Dennis DeYoung is weak vocally? Jesus... :wtf:

Can't stand Deyoung's voice homestly. Never modulates at all. voice is ALWAYS on one level.

his faux british thing makes me want to hit him with something heavy.

I don't miss him one bit actually.

and the ego on him.....geez.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Wait, so James Young is a great singer, but Dennis DeYoung is weak vocally? Jesus... :wtf:

Different strokes man! "Weak" was the wrong word. Dennis was amazing on the earlier records. Some people love "Edge Of The Century." Not me man. WOOF!

Dennis and James are great together back in the day. Including the Wooden Nickel recordings.

Dennis started writing ballad after weak ballad. Again, "Babe" was it for me. STYX started to become a Steve Perry infused AOR pop band. STYX and Journey were both incredible bands in the Seventies, but once the 80's hit, they both went for that pop single.

Don't care man. It is what it is.

I will take Shaw and Young over Dennis and Gowan any day of the WEAK!

LOL!!!

"JESUS CHRIST POSE!"

• Like 1

Can't stand Deyoung's voice homestly. Never modulates at all. voice is ALWAYS on one level.

Mick

You are my saving grace.

This.

That Dennis DeYoung solo album "Desert Moon" makes amazing aluminum toilet paper for when you have a piece of shite stuck in your arse.

Just saying.

• Like 1

Mick

You are my saving grace.

This.

That Dennis DeYoung solo album "Desert Moon" makes amazing aluminum toilet paper for when you have a piece of shite stuck in your arse.

Just saying.

i don't mind deyoung on the albums up to Cornerstone. Cause his presence was kept in check.

but when Cornerstone hit.....they Morphed to Dennis Deyoung featuring.......these other guys, lol

they pulled off a miracle with Paradise Theater. then......kilroy took a big dump on us all.

good riddance man.

Mick

• Like 1

To be clear, I do think ousting DeYoung was the right move. They didn't get along and his interests were no longer in rocking out, so they had to move on. But his voice was and is still fantastic. That said, I cannot name a single solo DDY song I like.

Nothing wrong with well done pop. Journey did pop rock very well in the 80s.

• Like 1

Mick

You are my saving grace.

This.

Just saying.

i don't mind deyoung on the albums up to Cornerstone. Cause his presence was kept in check.

but when Cornerstone hit.....they Morphed to Dennis Deyoung featuring.......these other guys, lol

they pulled off a miracle with Paradise Theater. then......kilroy took a big dump on us all.

good riddance man.

Mick

Mick! You are the apple of my eye!! I couldn't have typed it better myself!! You get an A+++++++++++++++++++

Ironically the same humans who love Dennis hate James Young. "Kilroy Was Here" is a BUST. The best song on that shite record is "Heavy Metal Poisoning" sung and written by Young!!

"Kilroy" was all Dennis DeYoung, hence he was the catalyst that destroyed STYX!

Might as well be a fan of the Gay Paree! I mean really????

"DO LET IT END!"

• Like 1

To be clear, I do think ousting DeYoung was the right move. They didn't get along and his interests were no longer in rocking out, so they had to move on. But his voice was and is still fantastic. That said, I cannot name a single solo DDY song I like.

Nothing wrong with well done pop. Journey did pop rock very well in the 80s.

Absolutely.

Haha! I just listened to "Kilroy." Reminds me of my childhood. "Heavy Metal Poisoning" is the best song on the record. JAMES YOUNG!

I just listened to "Paradise Theater."

"Snowblind" and "Half Penny Two Penny" are the best songs on the album. JAMES YOUNG!!!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

I know that STYX is considered an AOR band but let's face it. STYX was conceived as a progressive rock band. As was KANSAS.

KANSAS tried to go AOR pop too.

I mean the KANSAS MCA years with Steve Morse on guitar were really not that great. "POWER?" Yuck!

Do you KANSAS fans love "Freak Of Nature?" Meh

For me after "Audiovisions" KANSAS turned into suck my KansASS.

JMO

What bands from the Seventies didn't "GO FOR THE ONE" and try and make MONEY?

"Sigh Of The Times" man.

Yesterday & Today was one of the heaviest fuckking rock bands in the world but thanks to bad management and bad choices even they turned into MTeVil POP!

RUSH ON!

• Like 2

I know that STYX is considered an AOR band but let's face it. STYX was conceived as a progressive rock band. As was KANSAS.

KANSAS tried to go AOR pop too.

I mean the KANSAS MCA years with Steve Morse on guitar were really not that great. "POWER?" Yuck!

Do you KANSAS fans love "Freak Of Nature?" Meh

For me after "Audiovisions" KANSAS turned into suck my KansASS.

JMO

What bands from the Seventies didn't "GO FOR THE ONE" and try and make MONEY?

"Sigh Of The Times" man.

Yesterday & Today was one of the heaviest fuckking rock bands in the world but thanks to bad management and bad choices even they turned into MTeVil POP!

RUSH ON!

Well Earl i never lie everybody here knows i love AOR. i make no apologies, lol

but......Kansas never fit the mold. they were shitty at it.

that's why i was thrilled they came back around to being Kansas on the recent record. It's nothing new but it was awesome to hear cause they fell so hard off the horse in the 80's i'd counted them out. I also don't c care there is one original member. they still put out a great record.

Mick

How was the show, Earl?

Absolutely off the hook! Place was PACKED! Don Felder opened up and literally stole the show. REO Speedwagon was dreadful. STYX was off the star charts! Great energy! Awesome set list. 12 songs. 3 from The Mission.

"Light Up" was amazing. James had everyone turn on their smartphone flashlights. Confetti and streamers shot out of cannons twice at near the end.

I can't believe STYX is playing Jackson Rancheria on September 17th! The hotel is already sold out of rooms!! I'm at the Holiday Inn Express 3 miles away.

Styx is great live. Yea, it would be nice to have DeYoung back, but Gowan holds his own and is a fine keyboard player. My wife and I have seen them 3X over the last few years. Great show each time. Never do they slack.

And I have been listening to this new album and its the best thing since Paradise Theater. Really nice to see that from a band this far into their career. Thumbs up.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 2