STYX - Don't forget now kids

bought it.

Wow.

Yes.

Yes? This is a STYX thread! :P

Yes wishes they could still make an album like this, and they've wished that for a long, long time. R.I.P. Chris Squire, btw.

The Mission is the best album Styx have made since Paradise Theater. In fact, it's one of their best ever albums, ever. Right up there with Crystal Ball and The Grand Illusion.

Also, Mission To Mars sounds a bit like classic Yes at one point, so ha.

• Like 3

And one other thing. It is one of the BEST sequenced albums i have ever heard in a while. and i'm not exaggerating. this album just flows so nicely. which is an art that's almost lost in modern records. the flow of a record.

As least that's my ears anyway, lol

Mick

• Like 4

And one other thing. It is one of the BEST sequenced albums i have ever heard in a while. and i'm not exaggerating. this album just flows so nicely. which is an art that's almost lost in modern records. the flow of a record.

Mick

It helps when you make your album with vinyl in mind. Keep it around 40 minutes instead of 80 and have it naturally split in the middle for side one and side two.

• Like 2

bought it.

Wow.

Yes.

Yes wishes they could still make an album like this, and they've wished that for a long, long time. R.I.P. Chris Squire, btw.

The Mission is the best album Styx have made since Paradise Theater. In fact, it's one of their best ever albums, ever. Right up there with Crystal Ball and The Grand Illusion.

Hahaha! I totally agree buddy! YES SUCKS NOW! "The Mission" is easily my Album Of The Year at this point. The new Steven Wilson is probably the only one that might top it but I won't hold my breath! Ok ok ok, since you said I have to confess something. I stated earlier that "The Mission" is the greatest STYX album since "Pieces Of Eight." However, I don have a very big solf spot in my heart for "Paradise Theater." I just played it last night and it just brings back my childhood. I remember buying the lp with the laser etched images in the vinyl. I was 13 years young back then and it was one of the first albums I learned to play to on my drums. I remember playing to it for hours a day in the summer. So simple yet so much fun. I absolutely love "Paradise Theater" so I agree. "The Mission is their best album since "Paradise Theater."

• Like 1

I listened to "Crystal Ball" last night too. I know many RUSH fans on here and some of my closest friends of mine hate STYNX as Pat would say. I absolutely love this band. I will see them every year until they retire like RUSH. Not sure STYX is going to retire anytime soon. Would be nice to see STYX dump REO Speedfagon next year and get back together and tour with KANAS. That was one of the best triple bills I have ever seen. KANSAS YES and STYX headlining. YES should have opened, KANSAS blew YES away!!
  • Like 1

bought it.

Wow.

Yes.

Hahaha! I totally agree buddy! YES SUCKS NOW! "The Mission" is easily my Album Of The Year at this point. The new Steven Wilson is probably the only one that might top it but I won't hold my breath! Ok ok ok, since you said I have to confess something. I stated earlier that "The Mission" is the greatest STYX album since "Pieces Of Eight." However, I don have a very big solf spot in my heart for "Paradise Theater." I just played it last night and it just brings back my childhood. I remember buying the lp with the laser etched images in the vinyl. I was 13 years young back then and it was one of the first albums I learned to play to on my drums. I remember playing to it for hours a day in the summer. So simple yet so much fun. I absolutely love "Paradise Theater" so I agree. "The Mission is their best album since "Paradise Theater."

If it weren't for Paradise Theater being so awesome, I'd have just said since the seventies, lol.

• Like 1

Mick

Oh man you are on point my friend. TOTALLY!!

• Like 2

bought it.

Wow.

Yes.

If it weren't for Paradise Theater being so awesome, I'd have just said since the seventies, lol.

Hahaha! No doubt about it!!! "Cornerstone" is excellent too. Just get rid of "BABE."

I listened to "Crystal Ball" last night too. I know many RUSH fans on here and some of my closest friends of mine hate STYNX as Pat would say. I absolutely love this band. I will see them every year until they retire like RUSH. Not sure STYX is going to retire anytime soon. Would be nice to see STYX dump REO Speedfagon next year and get back together and tour with KANAS. That was one of the best triple bills I have ever seen. KANSAS YES and STYX headlining. YES should have opened, KANSAS blew YES away!!

I love Crystal Ball. Favorite Styx album. It was the first one I heard.

Put Me On is one of the greatest opening tracks of all time.

• Like 1

Mick

Yeah I totally agree with this. It's a pleasure to hear in sequence, also aided by its brevity. Super easy listen, has no saggy middle, never feels overlong or bloated. One could argue it's too short even, but I would rather be left wanting more than to wish it had ended 12 minutes sooner.....ANY DAY.

One quibble. I might have liked a bit more of a resounding instrumental outro in the closing title track; something cool and jammy into a long fade out. That said, there is something perfectly whimsical about the tune as is, almost as if we've fast forwarded years in the future after the colonization and the song acts almost as a commercial jingle that YOU TOO can now get your ticket and travel to Mars as well...

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 3

I wasn't much of a fan of Gone Gone Gone by its lonesome and still don't believe it to be a top tier song, but it is better now in context and following Overture.

About the only song I'm really apathetic about is Trouble With The Big Show and not because JY sings it (I actually do not hate his voice as some do), but because it's this weird, short, pretty schizophrenic transition piece. Kinda wish he'd had a single showcase song like These Are The Times, the amazing song from Cyclorama. But it's all a bit of picking nits really. Fantastic album.

My highlights are Locomotive, Khedive, The Outpost, Red Storm, Radio Silence, and The Greater Good...with no disrespect to the unmentioned tunes as well.

Really strong album.

Agreed about Trouble at the Big Show. The chorus is nice, but JY's vocals are pretty bad.

The back to back of Time May Bend and Ten Thousand Ways is really good. That kind of snuck up on me.

No way Jose! I don't agree with you on James Young. I would never compare James to Ace, but I always look forward to the Ace songs on KISS records. I always look forward to a James Young song on a STYX record. Like "Heavy Metal Poisoning" and "Half Penny Two Penny" are JY staples. He is a big piece of STYX. He has great energy, he's a great guy, a great guitarist, and a great singer.

"Trouble At The Big Show" is a wonderful James Young song and for those of you who can't stand it, relax, it's on 2 and a half penny minutes.

Okay, let's be serious.

I like James Young and he is a key component to the Styx sound, but a great singer? LOL, right. His vocal style is basically "carnival barker" style, which worked when he was younger on some songs, like Miss America or Snowblind or Lords of the Ring, but at his age now, it just sounds ridiculous. When they did all of The Grand Illusion, he sounded god awful doing the "Hahahaha, Superstars" part in Superstars that DDY originally sang. I am sure there is a reason he barely does any lead vocals on the new album (or has never done much lead vocals in general). "Great singers" get more than a token song per album.

JY is a great singer. He technically has the widest range of all the Styx vocalists. He can hit pretty low notes and high notes as well.

Also, i think he plays better lead than Tommy at times. Not to knock tommy he's good too.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

I love Crystal Ball. Favorite Styx album. It was the first one I heard.

Put Me On is one of the greatest opening tracks of all time.

Agreed.

• Like 1

I wasn't much of a fan of Gone Gone Gone by its lonesome and still don't believe it to be a top tier song, but it is better now in context and following Overture.

About the only song I'm really apathetic about is Trouble With The Big Show and not because JY sings it (I actually do not hate his voice as some do), but because it's this weird, short, pretty schizophrenic transition piece. Kinda wish he'd had a single showcase song like These Are The Times, the amazing song from Cyclorama. But it's all a bit of picking nits really. Fantastic album.

My highlights are Locomotive, Khedive, The Outpost, Red Storm, Radio Silence, and The Greater Good...with no disrespect to the unmentioned tunes as well.

Really strong album.

Agreed about Trouble at the Big Show. The chorus is nice, but JY's vocals are pretty bad.

The back to back of Time May Bend and Ten Thousand Ways is really good. That kind of snuck up on me.

No way Jose! I don't agree with you on James Young. I would never compare James to Ace, but I always look forward to the Ace songs on KISS records. I always look forward to a James Young song on a STYX record. Like "Heavy Metal Poisoning" and "Half Penny Two Penny" are JY staples. He is a big piece of STYX. He has great energy, he's a great guy, a great guitarist, and a great singer.

"Trouble At The Big Show" is a wonderful James Young song and for those of you who can't stand it, relax, it's on 2 and a half penny minutes.

Okay, let's be serious.

I like James Young and he is a key component to the Styx sound, but a great singer? LOL, right. His vocal style is basically "carnival barker" style, which worked when he was younger on some songs, like Miss America or Snowblind or Lords of the Ring, but at his age now, it just sounds ridiculous. When they did all of The Grand Illusion, he sounded god awful doing the "Hahahaha, Superstars" part in Superstars that DDY originally sang. I am sure there is a reason he barely does any lead vocals on the new album (or has never done much lead vocals in general). "Great singers" get more than a token song per album.

JY is a great singer. He technically has the widest range of all the Styx vocalists. He can hit pretty low notes and high notes as well.

Also, i think he plays better lead than Tommy at times. Not to knock tommy he's good too.

Wow! It's always a joy to watch Tommy and James trade off leads together. I love them both equally, but I feel ya man! I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE James Young!! Underrated. The man has incredible charisma and energy. I mean the guy has been in STYX since the Wooden Nickel recordings. LEGEND! And he loves to throw out picks into the audience.

I love the hypocrisy of this Rush Forum. Rush Forum Members ripping and ridiculing other Rush Fans if they are "real" enough to be a TRUE RUSH FAN! LOL!

Well as a REAL STYX FAN, I love painting the hypocritical picture on here nightly.

I feel real sorry for you "real" STYX fans who RIP James Young!

Irritated man.

I am listenig to my STYX SHM Japanese "Caught In The Act" pressing tonight.

"Miss America" is blasting right now on my stereo. James Young is OFF THE HOOK!

Now I just saw James sing it in Concord Ca and he was OFF THE HOOK STILL!!

If you don't respect the hard work and energy and talent that James has put into this band then you might as well keep jackking off to "Vapor Trails" and leave a DNA snail tail behind you.

STYX has had their weak moments but so has RUSH!

"GET OVER IT!"

Signed,

The Eagles

I love the hypocrisy of this Rush Forum. Rush Forum Members ripping and ridiculing other Rush Fans if they are "real" enough to be a TRUE RUSH FAN! LOL!

Well as a REAL STYX FAN, I love painting the hypocritical picture on here nightly.

Irritated man.

If you don't respect the hard work and energy and talent that James has put into this band then you might as well keep jackking off to "Vapor Trails" and leave a DNA snail tail behind you.

"GET OVER IT!"

Signed,

The Eagles

Still can't sing a lick but his personality makes up for it.

I love JY.

Mick

• Like 1

Irritated man.

"GET OVER IT!"

Signed,

The Eagles

Still can't sing a lick but his personality makes up for it.

I love JY.

Mick

Hahaha!!!! Thanks for making me laugh! I love how we all have our own omnipresent opalescent opinions! I get it Mick!

I love you man.

• Like 1

Pat is one of my greatest friends on the planet on here. To be honest I have so many wonderful friends on here, yet we all have those who do not fancy us. That's life.

Pat hates STYNX. So what!

I love Pat like a brother.

I really don't care man.

I know I'm annoying but at the end of the day all is good. I just like to be different and spark edgy conversation.

I love this Forum.

I even love 73.

I still wish that 73 and his Admins would somehow raise money to have a Rush Forum BBQ and all you can drink Rush Party.

Perhaps a fundraiser or donations need to be in order.

If 73 ever does this I will fly to New York or Toronto if need be.

I am sure I will get a lot of hugs and a lot of punches into my fragile face. LOL!

Just an idea.

I am sure the Admins here and 73 have me on IGNORE. LOL!

Oh I love the irony.

Cheers!

Life is short.

I love STYX!

• Like 1

This album is a lot better second time around.

I might end up buying this, which is great as I haven't enjoyed anything after the sublime Paradise Theater.

A real grower, it's surprising how much their is still left in this band. Maybe constant touring has given them a hunger for more?

7/10

• Like 2

This album is a lot better second time around.

I might end up buying this, which is great as I haven't enjoyed anything after the sublime Paradise Theater.

A real grower, it's surprising how much their is still left in this band. Maybe constant touring has given them a hunger for more?

7/10

glad to hear this rating.

7 is what i gave it at first as well. it has only gone up for me.

Mick

• Like 1