STYX - Don't forget now kids

I've always liked Babe. Shame that it's considered a sellout of sorts. I find it sincere and comforting.

ppst......i like it too, lol.

just not the album it's from

i never bought the whole sellout thing. if i could write a song that was a hit like that....i'd "sell out" in a second, lol

Mick

• Like 1

I'd say that Mission is the best since Edge Of The Century...Paradise Theater was just perfect in every way.

Paradise Theater really is. Shame it's not more highly regarded.

• Like 2

I'd say that Mission is the best since Edge Of The Century...Paradise Theater was just perfect in every way.

Paradise Theater really is. Shame it's not more highly regarded.

it was amazing they at least saved themselves from drowning once after Cornerstone. Then Kilroy and it was over for a long time.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Funny thing is that Kilroy isn't a bad album so much as that tour did them in, what with playing characters on stage and delivering rehearsed dialogue and the like. That's when final lines were being drawn by the band members from within and resentments coming to a head. They MIGHT have survived Kilroy for another album or two in their immediate future had the tour been a straight forward affair.... instead of the final straw it became. Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 2

Funny thing is that Kilroy isn't a bad album so much as that tour did them in, what with playing characters on stage and delivering rehearsed dialogue and the like. That's when final lines were being drawn by the band members from within and resentments coming to a head. They MIGHT have survived Kilroy for another album or two had the tour been a straight forward affair instead of the final straw.

i'd heard stories of that tour. Sounds like a nightmare.

and Tommy and JY were both plastered and high as hell during it.

Mick

Funny thing is that Kilroy isn't a bad album so much as that tour did them in, what with playing characters on stage and delivering rehearsed dialogue and the like. That's when final lines were being drawn by the band members from within and resentments coming to a head. They MIGHT have survived Kilroy for another album or two had the tour been a straight forward affair instead of the final straw.

Mick

Equal parts a contributor to the problem and also a way of coping with it in the moment. Convenient excuse anyhow.

• Like 1

Mick

Apparently I've heard that after shooting the video for Heavy Metal Poisoning, JY was dangerously close to choking Dennis out right then and there.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

Mick

I saw that tour. It was very forced. They obviously didn't what to be there.

• Like 1

I've always liked Babe. Shame that it's considered a sellout of sorts. I find it sincere and comforting.

ppst......i like it too, lol.

just not the album it's from

i never bought the whole sellout thing. if i could write a song that was a hit like that....i'd "sell out" in a second, lol

Mick

I believe in "signs".... When is the last time you heard "Babe" on the radio? Today, I heard it on WCSX just minutes after I had been reading this thread and was listening to Equinox at home... I must buy the new album... it has been ordained, eh!

Rock ON!!!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Styx%2001July2016%20Detroit/0701162144a_zpssi4e7ga3.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Styx%2001July2016%20Detroit/0701162144_zpsmxm2b1hw.jpg

• Like 2

Aside for Come Sail Away, I am not much of a fan

But out of curiosity, I listened to Red Storm today - which led to me listening to the entire album .. which led to me buying the album

I loved it .. Clicked with me like they've never done before

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 6

But out of curiosity, I listened to Red Storm today - which led to me listening to the entire album .. which led to me buying the album

Nice!

• Like 2

Very nice.

I am getting a lot of mileage out of this record.

The last month is the most Styx I've listened to in many years (and they were one of my most-listened-to bands when I was 17/18).

• Like 2

It really is a unexpected musical surprise....

...a great sounding record.

• Like 2

I'm tellin' ya man, this has to be one of the biggest surprise albums from any band ever. Had this been 20 years ago it'd have been considered a comeback album, now it's just a killer bookend.

• Like 3

I just think it's ok

Am I dead inside?

• Like 1

I just think it's ok

Am I dead inside?

It it is an ok album. I think that means it's good. I think that Styx, at this late point in their career, released an ok album and it caught a lot of fans by surprise. It's an album to appreciate and enjoy because it, despite the corny concept, contains some good songs. It's an example of when ok is great.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 4

I just think it's ok

Am I dead inside?

It it is an ok album. I think that means it's good. I think that Styx, at this late point in their career, released an ok album caught a lot of fans by surprise. It's an album to appreciate and enjoy because it, despite its corny concept, contains some good songs. It's an example of when ok is great.

Yeah exactly.

I mean this is a good album but...I own ten albums by this band and would rate this eleventh behind them all.

Just a bit taken aback...then again I have an overwhelming love for the last Foreigner album.

But yeah...this is a good album. I would say worthy of 7/10 if I'm being objective. But personally would rate it at somewhere around 4 or 5.

Always great to see bands of this vintage pushing themselves, touring new music and fighting the "nostalgia act" tag. But...this album is so nostalgic in its feel...it feels less retro and more stale to my ears.

But like Mick said, I'm not the biggest fan of this style right now. Which isn't entirely fair because if I put on Pieces Of Eight, Paradise Theater or anything by Kansas the sound would be up and is be rocking hard.

Gowan isn't very good to my ears either.

I mean, fair play to these guys. Best album since PT. But that's not really hard, given the quality of what came after.

It is much better to my ears than the last Kansas.

Edited by Segue Myles

I just think it's ok

Am I dead inside?

It it is an ok album. I think that means it's good. I think that Styx, at this late point in their career, released an ok album caught a lot of fans by surprise. It's an album to appreciate and enjoy because it, despite the corny concept, contains some good songs. It's an example of when ok is great.

There is probably some of that going on as well. It is nice to see an older band releasing good music this late in their career. But I think it is more than just OK. It could have benefited from a little DeYoung here and there, because as great as Gowan is as a keyboardist, and he does the DeYoung songs fine live, Gowan lacks DeYoung's charisma, for lack of a better word. It isn't the greatest thing they did. But it is a solid addition to their discography. And one that bears repeated listens. Am I being nostalgic for the old Styx by praising it? Maybe. But I played it for my 17-year-old step daughter who likes Styx and she thinks it is definitely one of their stronger albums, in spite of the concept. So there must be something more going on here that makes it more than just OK.

• Like 2

I just think it's ok

Am I dead inside?

It it is an ok album. I think that means it's good. I think that Styx, at this late point in their career, released an ok album caught a lot of fans by surprise. It's an album to appreciate and enjoy because it, despite the corny concept, contains some good songs. It's an example of when ok is great.

There is probably some of that going on as well. It is nice to see an older band releasing good music this late in their career. But I think it is more than just OK. It could have benefited from a little DeYoung here and there, because as great as Gowan is as a keyboardist, and he does the DeYoung songs fine live, Gowan lacks DeYoung's charisma, for lack of a better word. It isn't the greatest thing they did. But it is a solid addition to their discography. And one that bears repeated listens. Am I being nostalgic for the old Styx by praising it? Maybe. But I played it for my 17-year-old step daughter who likes Styx and she thinks it is definitely one of their stronger albums, in spite of the concept. So there must be something more going on here that makes it more than just OK.

I get it. I like the album. I'm just trying to point out that thinking it's an ok album isn't a dig at the album.

• Like 1

I just think it's ok

Am I dead inside?

I get it. I like the album. I'm just trying to point out that thinking it's an ok album isn't a dig at the album.

Yea, I know. I was trying to touch on your point about how it could be a little nostalgia playing into the praise of the album, to which I did agree to a point. It's all good. :cheers: