Rate Geddy Lee's singing and vocal melodies on the album Clockwork Angels?

Texas King

Rate Geddy Lee's singing and vocal melodies on the album Clockwork Angels?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Geddy Lee's singing and vocal melodies on the album Clockwork Angels?

• ★☆☆☆☆
    • ★★☆☆☆
    • ★★★☆☆
    • ★★★★☆
    • ★★★★★

For a 60yr old I'd score a 4.. In a studio environment, he can still cut it. His range is a good 3 tones down on what he could sing at his peak and his tone has mellowed, as indeed it had to. When he tries to sing older material in original keys it can sound embarrassing, but that's when his voice is tired after a run of gigs. New material wouldn't be an issue as he can write in the keys he's comfortable in.
  • Like 2

Some good stuff but definitely not his best work vocal-wise. What's interesting is (at least to me) how much better his vocals sound on Caravan and BU2B (recorded before the Time Machine Tour) than the other songs (recorded after). You can really hear how much his voice deteriorated on the that tour. Still not a bad performance but a little shaky at times.
  • Like 1

Whatever rating 'funeral dirge' falls under... I gave it 2 stars.

I know...harsh.

Not every song per se...but a majority. The tone and pitch are just... hmmmm, unlpeasant, I guess you could call it. Off putting, even better.

For instance;

The Anarchist would be the perfect song...starts out sounding like old Rush. Seriously good, until Geddy comes in with the vocals. The whole song remains my favorite off the album, musically it's perfect, but man, I cannot get past the vocals.

• Like 3

Well, I'm not assuming it's the final album...

But, anyway...3 stars for Geddy's vocals. I do blame fanboy Nick R for coaxing Ged to "recapture old school Rush" by reaching for the higher register. Way to speed up the aging process of a voice...f'n stupid.

• Like 3

Whatever rating 'funeral dirge' falls under... I gave it 2 stars.

I know...harsh.

Not every song per se...but a majority. The tone and pitch are just... hmmmm, unlpeasant, I guess you could call it. Off putting, even better.

For instance;

The Anarchist would be the perfect song...starts out sounding like old Rush. Seriously good, until Geddy comes in with the vocals. The whole song remains my favorite off the album, musically it's perfect, but man, I cannot get past the vocals.

EXACTLY. The intro to that song is so cool but once Geddy starts warbling and not only that, I can't make out half of what he's singing, not even sure he's speaking English, I skip to the next song.

I voted 3 because at his age he still pulled off some decent stuff, but at the same time, it is nowhere near the Ged of old. And how could it be? But yea, as someone else mentioned, you could tell even in the studio that his voice was going. But that is the curse of ageing.

On the other hand, the band play great on that record. So they still had enough rocket fuel to pull that off. If it is the last album, it's a fine send-off. No shame in what they accomplished.

pretty darn good, considering he was unlistenable to on tour at times

This^^^. On the tour it was unfortunately really bad. I still enjoyed the Atlanta show however...
  • Like 1

pretty darn good, considering he was unlistenable to on tour at times

This^^^. On the tour it was unfortunately really bad. I still enjoyed the Atlanta show however...

I was at that show and he was good considering.

Thijs van Leer for yodelling on Hocus Pocus,10.Geddy Lee on CA for yodelling ,2.
  • Like 1

If we are rating his vocals on a scale in comparison to his previous work, I give it a 2. He's barely able to sing in his lower range without his voice breaking anymore. They were able to cover up a lot of it in the studio which had the effect of muffling them and making a lot of it hard to understand.

If we are rating him in comparison to other people his age who have been in the same band 40+ years and been the lead vocalist that entire time. There is no comparison.

• Like 3

I gave it 3 stars.

I was just watching some R30 youtubes last night and it's really disappointing how poor his voice is in comparison to just 10 years ago.

Ok, we have an overweight crippled drummer, a guy who can't sing and a guitarist with arthritic hands and feet. But people still want Rush to continue? For f**k's sake, no.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2