Styx or Stones?

Styx or Stones?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Break your bones?

Stones are a legendary band, Styx are a second-rate American rock band at best.

Stones by a mile.

And to think I voted for you and you alone in that Texas King or Texas King poll.

;)

• Like 1

What's the hell is a Styx ?

In Greek mythology, Styx is a deity and a river that forms the boundary between Earth and the Underworld.

:musicnote:

"Across the River Styx, out of the lamplight

His nemesis is waiting at the gate"

:musicnote:

• Like 1

Rolling Stones...

Could be Rolling Pins...

Rolling Rolls Of Fat...

Rolling Aristocratic Heads...

Rolling Shites...

Not a fan.

i flat out refused my grandma when she offered me a free extra ticket.

this band just does nothing for me.

Mick

You should have gone, they put on a great show.

• Like 1

I get not liking the Rolling Stones or any band for that matter. Personally, I think the Stones became a parody of themselves after Exile on Main Street. Total cruise control. But from 1964 to 1972 they defined, along with several of their peers, what a rock and roll band was. The songs. The longevity. The innovation. The popularity. It still ripples through the music world to this day.

Thank you. This sums up my feelings too.

I LIKE some Styx tunes very much, loved them as a kid, hell the Kilroy tour was one of my first concerts!

But up against the run of Stones albums from Beggars Banquet through Exile (and include the singles from this period too).... uh, no. They take it. Every time.

I can see people not liking the Stones, but they have influenced nearly everyone who followed, just like the Beatles.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

i flat out refused my grandma when she offered me a free extra ticket.

this band just does nothing for me.

Mick

You should have gone, they put on a great show.

I confess, I agree with this. They do still put on a helluva show. You might have hated it, or you might have been surprised :)

• Like 1

You are being a bit annoying...Rolling Stones have always been a love/hate band. Stop sounding surprised lol

They are as easy to dislike or hate as our beloved Rush or U2.

I gotta agree with this too. LOL. and I love all three bands.

• Like 1

One can argue that at their best the Rolling Stones are the best.

and one would be wrong.

:D

Mick

That sass.

It's true.

Seriously? You don't think an objective case can be made for the Rolling Stones being the greatest rock band? I do. And I'm a Beatles fanatic.

no absolutly not.

and i'm being just as serious as you are.

Mick

I get not liking the Rolling Stones or any band for that matter. Personally, I think the Stones became a parody of themselves after Exile on Main Street. Total cruise control. But from 1964 to 1972 they defined, along with several of their peers, what a rock and roll band was. The songs. The longevity. The innovation. The popularity. It still ripples through the music world to this day.

I think that's pulling the ripcord too soon. Goats' Head Soup is a great album. I agree that from, say, the mid 70s on, they were a hit or miss band, depending if you're a fan or not. I am, so like with Rush, I can find something to enjoy about all their releases. But I would say Some Girls, Tattoo You, Steel Wheels and A Bigger Bang are all great albums.

• Like 1

and one would be wrong.

Mick

That sass.

It's true.

Seriously? You don't think an objective case can be made for the Rolling Stones being the greatest rock band? I do. And I'm a Beatles fanatic.

no absolutly not.

Mick

I think that's pulling the ripcord too soon. Goats' Head Soup is a great album. I agree that from, say, the mid 70s on, they were a hit or miss band, depending if you're a fan or not. I am, so like with Rush, I can find something to enjoy about all their releases. But I would say Some Girls, Tattoo You, Steel Wheels and A Bigger Bang are all great albums.

The albums after do have some quality tracks for sure. I might add Goats to my list. And "Time Waits For No One" from It's Only Rock & Roll is so sublime.

One could make a really good mixtape/CD/playlist of the post-72 highlights.

• Like 1

and one would be wrong.

Mick

That sass.

It's true.

no absolutly not.

Mick

The albums after do have some quality tracks for sure. I might add Goats to my list. And "Time Waits For No One" from It's Only Rock & Roll is so sublime.

One could make a really good mixtape/CD/playlist of the post-72 highlights.

Agreed. I limited it to post 73 albums without any real "meh" tracks. But there's always a few songs on every one of their albums that any other band would have killed to have written.

• Like 1