Is anyone "branching out', musically speaking? Trying new things?

Jack Aubrey

I got a Sonor "popcorn" snare at Guitar Center the other day (it was $20 off because it was a demo model) and boy does she sound sweet!! She's got a chromed brass shell (and matte-black rims and lugs so she looks as sexy as she sounds) which gives her a really sharp crack! Size-wise it's about halfway between a standard snare and a piccolo snare, which is why I suppose they call her a "popcorn" snare. Regular price on 'em is $99 so they're very affordable. If you're a drummer, you owe it to yourself to check one out, they sound great! I'll put up a pic soon.

I also have seen in a few drum magazines that you can buy a length of chain that mounts on your cymbal for a "sizzle" sound nuance. Well, I have a bunch of standard dog-tag chain sitting around so I broke out the wire cutters, cut some loops to size, and secured them under the felt washer on top and they work and sound great!

Now that's creative thinking!

Well thank you, sir! I thought about making a video and starting a YouTube Drum Hacks page. :D

• Like 1

I got a Sonor "popcorn" snare at Guitar Center the other day (it was $20 off because it was a demo model) and boy does she sound sweet!! She's got a chromed brass shell (and matte-black rims and lugs so she looks as sexy as she sounds) which gives her a really sharp crack! Size-wise it's about halfway between a standard snare and a piccolo snare, which is why I suppose they call her a "popcorn" snare. Regular price on 'em is $99 so they're very affordable. If you're a drummer, you owe it to yourself to check one out, they sound great! I'll put up a pic soon.

I also have seen in a few drum magazines that you can buy a length of chain that mounts on your cymbal for a "sizzle" sound nuance. Well, I have a bunch of standard dog-tag chain sitting around so I broke out the wire cutters, cut some loops to size, and secured them under the felt washer on top and they work and sound great!

Now that's creative thinking!

Well thank you, sir! I thought about making a video and starting a YouTube Drum Hacks page. :D

Great idea!
  • Like 1

So, now that I have some basic muscle memory back, I spent some time today on basic rudiments. Paradiddles, Swiss triplets, swing 8th notes. I'm more of a groove than power player, so it was fun to get that feel back through rudiment drills. It made for a fun hour-long session.

:D-13:

• Like 2

I finally changed my drum heads, does that count?

I’m thinking that mine, on my kit, are literally probably 28 years old or so. I thought about replacing them recently, but I’ve ended up taking the kit down to make more room in my basement.

My congas and my dumbek still sound great, though.

• Like 1

I've had to do a lot more piano, string (virtual/keyboard based), and synth work on the latest recordings (which are also a deviation as they're mostly pop/alternative, whereas I usually write harder rock stuff). Being able to tinkering with the midi after has also opened up possibilities, as well as being able to change patches and other elements of the sound since the notes are all digital (midi). Not having to retrack stuff definitely feels a bit like cheating at times. ;)

I forgot about this thread...

Here's a cross-post to my official release thread for this album. Reception has been nearly all positive and while commercially it was a failure, we've managed to get a few new fans and encouragement to continue on with a second album along similar lines.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/103575-new-alt-rock-concept-album-missing-pieces/

• Like 2

I've had to do a lot more piano, string (virtual/keyboard based), and synth work on the latest recordings (which are also a deviation as they're mostly pop/alternative, whereas I usually write harder rock stuff). Being able to tinkering with the midi after has also opened up possibilities, as well as being able to change patches and other elements of the sound since the notes are all digital (midi). Not having to retrack stuff definitely feels a bit like cheating at times. ;)

I forgot about this thread...

Here's a cross-post to my official release thread for this album. Reception has been nearly all positive and while commercially it was a failure, we've managed to get a few new fans and encouragement to continue on with a second album along similar lines.

http://www.therushfo...missing-pieces/

Big congratulations, man!

What are your new heads?

Sorry I'm so late, but they were Evans brand. The guy asked what type of music I played first and since "crappy" wasn't a category they had he gave me a set of rock heads lol.

What are your new heads?

Sorry I'm so late, but they were Evans brand. The guy asked what type of music I played first and since "crappy" wasn't a category they had he gave me a set of rock heads lol.

:LOL:

Really struggling with what my band wants to play. :(

Meaning what? Do you mean in terms of technical skill? Or you’re just not seeing eye to eye with them?

Really struggling with what my band wants to play. :(

Meaning what? Do you mean in terms of technical skill? Or you’re just not seeing eye to eye with them?

Song choices. I'd prefer to play crowd-friendly, upbeat stuff, but they want to play down-tempo stuff like Simple Man, Can't You See, Hard You Ever Seen the Rain...

Our singer literally wanted to open up with House of thee Rising Sun.

Tomorrow I have my first gig sonce re-joining my old band. I'm stoked to play before a crowd again. I managed to get a more upbeat setlist on place, so I'm happy. :ebert:
  • Like 4

Eeesh. In an email I suggest to my band that we add Surrender to our playlist. The reply?

"Surrender by whom?"

My bad for choosing a deep cut.

:facepalm:

• Like 5

Eeesh. In an email I suggest to my band that we add Surrender to our playlist. The reply?

"Surrender by whom?"

:(

• Like 2

"Surrender by whom?"

:(

:LOL:
  • Like 1

"Surrender by whom?"

I don't know anyone in your band, but they just seem a little weird.

• Like 1

"Surrender by whom?"

I don't know anyone in your band, but they just seem a little weird.

:laughing guy:

On another note...I’m thinking of selling/trading in my starter-model Martin acoustic for a vintage D-18.

Oy, but the money...

:sigh:

I know this doesn’t really represent ‘branching out’, and I’ve posted about these already in the GAS thread...but I’m quoting myself here to provide an update, of sorts...

Still no vintage D-18 in my guitarsenal, but only a week after the post above, I stumbled onto a 1936 Martin 0-17S (S for ‘special’, which in this case means a slotted headstock, or Hawaiian, concerted to Spanish sytle, as it’s sometimes called)...I got a ridiculous deal on it in a local instrument shop in my town. Beautiful condition, and I’m only the third owner.

I can’t post my own photos here, but it’s just like this one (except mine is in better shape than this one):

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Martin-0-17H-1939/183322876530?hash=item2aaee51a72%3Ag%3AmLkAAOSwrVRbZJdx&_nkw=1936+martin+0-17&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.X1936+mar.TRS0

I also just about a month ago picked a 1999 HD-28, another fantastic deal from a retiring musical instrument dealer- who had it on consignment from a blues player who was going into a nursing home and couldn’t use it anymore.

Again, not the very one, but it looks like this:

https://reverb.com/item/13503619-martin-hd-28-1997

• Like 1

I love my Martin, it's just a newer model DRS1 with that weird pressed wood used for the neck. It plays and sounds great. I've played a lot of other people's Martins in the past and decided I wanted one, this was what I could afford. IIRC it replaced an Alvarez with built-in pickups. I've also owned mid-level Yamahas and Washburns. The HD-28 looks identical to one a friend owned years ago, was a very full sounding instrument but I recall he kept heavier gauge strings on it and it would hurt my fingers after a bit of jamming. The 0-17S is closer in style/body size to what I own. Enjoy the geetars! Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1