Is anyone "branching out', musically speaking? Trying new things?

Jack Aubrey

Lately I've been getting my feet wet in "percussionist" territory. I recently bought a very cool log drum and found a Meinl cajon at a pawn shop for $40, I even got brushes for it. I've never dealt seriously with brushes in my life but now it seems they're all I want to use. They have a way of taking hold of you. I have to say I'm having a ball and am contemplating assembling an somewhat-exotic percussion kit.

How about y'all?

• Like 2

Wow, that is really cool.

I can't say if I'm working outside my musical comfort zone yet, but I sure am thinking about it.

While my band works on its second record (and let's be honest, as much as I HATE genre labels, it's gonna be a "prog" record although I'm going to add as much non-prog-cliche stuff to it as I can, provided it serves the song)... I want to do a second solo album.

My first one was singer/songwriter style, all written around the piano.

This time, I want to open it up and see what happens. Open to outside influences and sounds, depending on how they move me. We shall see what happens :)

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 2

I am not, really, but I can contribute some things here anyway.

If I ever have the means, one thing I'd like to do is collect various different percussion instruments, from all over the world. The only things I have now, in addition to the full drum kit that's set up in my basement, is an 11" conga, and a dumbek.

I took up guitar about five years ago; I have a Martin, and then earlier this year I bought a classical guitar. I can't say that I've done a whole lot with that one yet, though. But it sounds beautiful.

On the verge of buying a professional trumpet for my son. I think he's pretty serious about pursuing it.

• Like 3

I've had to do a lot more piano, string (virtual/keyboard based), and synth work on the latest recordings (which are also a deviation as they're mostly pop/alternative, whereas I usually write harder rock stuff). Being able to tinkering with the midi after has also opened up possibilities, as well as being able to change patches and other elements of the sound since the notes are all digital (midi). Not having to retrack stuff definitely feels a bit like cheating at times. ;)
  • Like 2

My "semi-exotic" kit:

http://rsmg.pbsrc.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/P_20170628_135341_LL.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

• Like 1

Just bought a new bass after foolishly selling my one and only a couple years ago. I'm getting back into playing, and this time I'm changing my APPROACH.

A little background: I've been a bass player for 27 years but I've never been in a "band" - closest I've come was back when some friends and I (two of them are HS music teachers) would gather once a month and play some songs together. I'm a hobby player and after 27 years I'm still just mediocre. I cannot improvise; I'm only as good as the combination of notes I've memorized that form a recognizable song. And my feel is a bit off; I'm too mechanical.

I want to become better and get where I should be after 27 years on the instrument, so here's the "branching out, trying new things" part. Instead of just learning the note combination that forms a song, I'm working a lot on RHYTHM (and more music theory). I should've been doing this all along. Bass is a rhythm instrument so, you know, rhythm is kind of important. Ha ha! It's not enough to just memorize a bunch of licks; that doesn't make a good player. Can I pick up the bass and GROOVE? Being able to improvise bass lines like, say, John Deacon's lines (great R&B chops) is my new goal, and I want to get there by becoming an honest groove player, not just memorizing the notes to Queen songs. The Real Deal, not just knowing a few fancy licks and wiggling my fingers.

• Like 2

Just bought a new bass after foolishly selling my one and only a couple years ago. I'm getting back into playing, and this time I'm changing my APPROACH.

A little background: I've been a bass player for 27 years but I've never been in a "band" - closest I've come was back when some friends and I (two of them are HS music teachers) would gather once a month and play some songs together. I'm a hobby player and after 27 years I'm still just mediocre. I cannot improvise; I'm only as good as the combination of notes I've memorized that form a recognizable song. And my feel is a bit off; I'm too mechanical.

I want to become better and get where I should be after 27 years on the instrument, so here's the "branching out, trying new things" part. Instead of just learning the note combination that forms a song, I'm working a lot on RHYTHM (and more music theory). I should've been doing this all along. Bass is a rhythm instrument so, you know, rhythm is kind of important. Ha ha! It's not enough to just memorize a bunch of licks; that doesn't make a good player. Can I pick up the bass and GROOVE? Being able to improvise bass lines like, say, John Deacon's lines (great R&B chops) is my new goal, and I want to get there by becoming an honest groove player, not just memorizing the notes to Queen songs. The Real Deal, not just knowing a few fancy licks and wiggling my fingers.

Outstanding!

Hey Mark it's nice to "see" you again! I hope you're doing well and God Bless you and yours. Been a while, huh?

Good to "see" you, too! Yes, it's been a long time.
  • Like 1

Ive been doing an African drumming meetup pretty much every week, Djembe drums. It's pretty awesome.
  • Like 5

Ive been doing an African drumming meetup pretty much every week, Djembe drums. It's pretty awesome.

Super-flippin' cool!

Edited by Jack Aubrey
  • Like 1

I got a shaker that mounts to your finger and a tambourine that mounts to your foot or wrist this weekend. My wife says I'm turning into one of those one-man bands! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/P_20170801_091612_LL.jpg

• Like 3

Well, now that Heliopolis has broken up, and a new band is gonna rise from its ashes... I'm thinking about what I want to contribute.

And I'm also thinking more about doing a 2nd solo album and how I want THAT to sound. All concepts now... nothing concrete. But I would like it to sound DIFFERENT while still being tuneful.

• Like 1

Got a couple of really neat items for my Birthday, both mount to my Cajon. A clave and a block.

Block: https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-PBCW100-Wood-Block-Dual/dp/B008F5VP0Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503704951&sr=8-1&keywords=cajon+clave

Clave: https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-PBCC100-Clave-Block-Dual/dp/B008FVS3Y6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1503704951&sr=8-2&keywords=cajon+clave

They're held on with super heavy-duty 3M Command Strips so they're fairly easy to dismount should you need to for whatever reason and they sound just fantastic!

• Like 1

I got a shaker that mounts to your finger and a tambourine that mounts to your foot or wrist this weekend. My wife says I'm turning into one of those one-man bands! :D

http://willschlough.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/OneManBand_55-web.jpg Edited by goose
  • Like 1

http://willschlough.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/OneManBand_55-web.jpg

Give me a little time, I'll get there!
  • Like 1

I think I'm officially addicted as I'm going to Guitar Center Sunday afternoon to look at djembes.

ETA: and I'm also taking up the bodhran.

Edited by Jack Aubrey
  • Like 3

I think I'm officially addicted as I'm going to Guitar Center Sunday afternoon to look at djembes.

If you're ever in the Phoenix area, you'll have to go to the Museum of Musical Instruments. It is a percussionist's fantasyland!

Musical_instruments_on_display_at_the_MIM_%2814371983113%29.jpg

• Like 3

If you're ever in the Phoenix area, you'll have to go to the Museum of Musical Instruments. It is a percussionist's fantasyland!

Musical_instruments_on_display_at_the_MIM_%2814371983113%29.jpg

Cooooooool!

I've been working with electronic, post rock, black metal and Christmas music in a sort of eclectic blend lately, and I'm growing sort of sick with it, so the project (in my bio) is gonna go on hiatus.

As for right now, I've been wanting to work and rehearse with people. I really am done for the moment with solo work and I want to work on some more rooted metal work in Atmospheric Black and a more sludgy doom laden post metal approach on another.

I've been hanging flyers like crazy in my University, I'm dying to write and rehearse, as well as release and go live again. Plus with the size of my apartment and the walls of brick that contain it, I'm gonna use it for some nice writing and recording space

• Like 1

I've been working with electronic, post rock, black metal and Christmas music in a sort of eclectic blend lately, and I'm growing sort of sick with it, so the project (in my bio) is gonna go on hiatus.

As for right now, I've been wanting to work and rehearse with people. I really am done for the moment with solo work and I want to work on some more rooted metal work in Atmospheric Black and a more sludgy doom laden post metal approach on another.

I've been hanging flyers like crazy in my University, I'm dying to write and rehearse, as well as release and go live again. Plus with the size of my apartment and the walls of brick that contain it, I'm gonna use it for some nice writing and recording space

Outstanding!!!
  • Like 1

It seems I may be going from playing no drums in the past five years to some, as a former band is about to sack their drummer.

Wow! Keep us abreast of things as they develop, please, and go out there and ROCK!

I got a Sonor "popcorn" snare at Guitar Center the other day (it was $20 off because it was a demo model) and boy does she sound sweet!! She's got a chromed brass shell (and matte-black rims and lugs so she looks as sexy as she sounds) which gives her a really sharp crack! Size-wise it's about halfway between a standard snare and a piccolo snare, which is why I suppose they call her a "popcorn" snare. Regular price on 'em is $99 so they're very affordable. If you're a drummer, you owe it to yourself to check one out, they sound great! I'll put up a pic soon.

I also have seen in a few drum magazines that you can buy a length of chain that mounts on your cymbal for a "sizzle" sound nuance. Well, I have a bunch of standard dog-tag chain sitting around so I broke out the wire cutters, cut some loops to size, and secured them under the felt washer on top and they work and sound great!

It seems I may be going from playing no drums in the past five years to some, as a former band is about to sack their drummer.

Wow! Keep us abreast of things as they develop, please, and go out there and ROCK!

...and roll the bones?

:P

Today I took apart the e-kit I had set up (but never played) and put together my acoustic set. I wish I'd learned guitar! :LOL: An hour later I played an acoustic set for the first time in five years. I'd forgotten how physically demanding playing drums was. I actually sanded an entire deck today with a palm sander, and drumming was tougher!

I ended up doing three practice sessions today, each one feeling better than the first. Can't wait to jam with my old band...

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

I got a Sonor "popcorn" snare at Guitar Center the other day (it was $20 off because it was a demo model) and boy does she sound sweet!! She's got a chromed brass shell (and matte-black rims and lugs so she looks as sexy as she sounds) which gives her a really sharp crack! Size-wise it's about halfway between a standard snare and a piccolo snare, which is why I suppose they call her a "popcorn" snare. Regular price on 'em is $99 so they're very affordable. If you're a drummer, you owe it to yourself to check one out, they sound great! I'll put up a pic soon.

I also have seen in a few drum magazines that you can buy a length of chain that mounts on your cymbal for a "sizzle" sound nuance. Well, I have a bunch of standard dog-tag chain sitting around so I broke out the wire cutters, cut some loops to size, and secured them under the felt washer on top and they work and sound great!

Now that's creative thinking!
  • Like 1