Limbo: Alternate version

ytsejam58

I'm on a quest to collect all the Rush albums on vinyl! I am short by 5. But I got Test for Echo and I noticed something odd. Limbo doesn't start off with the iconic sound sample. It just goes straight into bass. And in the middle, there is no reference to Monster Mash. Not that this is a huge issue, I just mark it in iTunes as (alternate version) But what gets me is. Noone is talking about this! I google search "Limbo alternate version" or "why Limbo is different on vinyl" and NOTHING comes up. No statement from the band or the record producer or the Fans for why this edited version of Limbo appeared.

Can anyone attest to the vinyl version being different and or offer me an explination for why this happened?

• Like 2

I'm on a quest to collect all the Rush albums on vinyl! I am short by 5. But I got Test for Echo and I noticed something odd. Limbo doesn't start off with the iconic sound sample. It just goes straight into bass. And in the middle, there is no reference to Monster Mash. Not that this is a huge issue, I just mark it in iTunes as (alternate version) But what gets me is. Noone is talking about this! I google search "Limbo alternate version" or "why Limbo is different on vinyl" and NOTHING comes up. No statement from the band or the record producer or the Fans for why this edited version of Limbo appeared.

Can anyone attest to the vinyl version being different and or offer me an explination for why this happened?

Shocking.

Shocking.

Reminds my of the pre-internet days when you'd just say "hey, cool!" And move on.

Wait TFE? Didn't think there was a vinyl copy of that..

Edited by MMCXII

Of course .. new release. Not original vinyl.

Incidentally I just found a reference to limbo saying it is a remix with no unnecessary sound effects. Make sense to me.

• Like 2

Incidentally I just found a reference to limbo saying it is a remix with no unnecessary sound effects. Make sense to me.

I don't have most of the 2015 reissues. Have the originals so I had no idea. I know there was some differences on the 2004 reissue CD that are escaping me right now. (Carve Away The Stone?)

I would have preferred it was the same, but I guess there's nothing wrong with a difference as long as you still have a choice.

• Like 1

I don't have most of the 2015 reissues. Have the originals so I had no idea. I know there was some differences on the 2004 reissue CD that are escaping me right now. (Carve Away The Stone?)

I would have preferred it was the same, but I guess there's nothing wrong with a difference as long as you still have a choice.

You always have a choice! Anything new just adds to the Rush universe!

• Like 1

Limbo has never been one of my favorite songs but if there is a version without the monster mash stuff, I'd like to hear it.

I've been telling you about how good the Test For Echo 24 bit flac download that came with this reissue is...

:smash:

• Like 1

Interesting. This is the first I've heard of this. Since the vinyl is recently new, I wonder if there would have been any new charge from the "Monster Mash" record company for the "new" use of those few moments of that song. Rush's record company may not have been willing to pay another fee for it's "new" use.

I'm going to have to figure out how I can get a listen of this version without the "MM" effects.

Thanks for the info.

Interesting. This is the first I've heard of this. Since the vinyl is recently new, I wonder if there would have been any new charge from the "Monster Mash" record company for the "new" use of those few moments of that song. Rush's record company may not have been willing to pay another fee for it's "new" use.

That was my first thought.

I've been telling you about how good the Test For Echo 24 bit flac download that came with this reissue is...

Agreed. I think the T4E flac download is the best sounding version there is.

• Like 1

You absolutely have and when I get to the point of getting a music server I will, but until then I'm only into manefestations of physical media.

• Like 1