Van Morrison

Na na na

Literally everything from his debut (1967) up through Hard Nose the Highway ('73, and a personal favorite of mine) is can't-miss territory. I especially like Tupelo Honey, His Band and the Street Choir, and Saint Dominic's Preview.
  • Like 4

My favorite busker of all time was a guy who had a one-man band and did an awesome cover of "Brown Eyed Girl." I saw that dude in 2 different cities. I read somewhere that he was releasing an album. He traveled all over the world. Here he is on the Boston Common:

I know Rush fans have a tendency to love albums over compilations, but you could start with the greatest hits (The Best of Van Morrison (1990)) and then see what you like the most. The upshot is that you'll get 3 songs from Them, who are great in their own way.
  • Like 3

I know Rush fans have a tendency to love albums over compilations, but you could start with the greatest hits (The Best of Van Morrison (1990)) and then see what you like the most. The upshot is that you'll get 3 songs from Them, who are great in their own way.

Yes I'd recommend the Best of volumes 1 and 2. Some absolutely fantastic songs, great artist.

Literally everything from his debut (1967) up through Hard Nose the Highway ('73, and a personal favorite of mine) is can't-miss territory. I especially like Tupelo Honey, His Band and the Street Choir, and Saint Dominic's Preview.

Yes! Hard Nose the Highway is SO underrated. I'm a huge fan of Van the Man. Everything from Astral Weeks through Veedon Fleece is brilliant and essential. For my money, It's Too Late to Stop Now is the single greatest live album of all time. Yes, I mean better than At Fillmore East, Live at Leeds, et al. The versions of "Listen to the Lion," "Saint Dominic's Preview," "Caravan," and "Cyprus Avenue" on It's Too Late to Stop Now leave me speechless. A musician at the absolute height of his extraordinary powers, in complete control of his band, and complete uncontrol of his ancient passion. Truly transcendent music. Truly.

It's difficult for me to rank the albums from this classic period. I can make an argument for all of them as the best. But here's how I rank them today:

1) It's Too Late to Stop Now

2) Astral Weeks

3) Moondance

4) Hard Nose the Highway

5) Tupelo Honey

6) Saint Dominic's Preview

7) Veedon Fleece

8) His Band and Street Choir

Again, I could make a case for any of these as the best of the bunch.

Hope this helps. I envy anyone who is exploring Van for the first time. It can be something of a religious experience!

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 2

Yes! Hard Nose the Highway is SO underrated. I'm a huge fan of Van the Man. Everything from Astral Weeks through Veedon Fleece is brilliant and essential. For my money, It's Too Late to Stop Now is the single greatest live album of all time. Yes, I mean better than At Fillmore East, Live at Leeds, et al. The versions of "Listen to the Lion," "Saint Dominic's Preview," "Caravan," and "Cyprus Avenue" on It's Too Late to Stop Now leave me speechless. A musician at the absolute height of his extraordinary powers, in complete control of his band, and complete uncontrol of his ancient passion. Truly transcendent music. Truly.

It's difficult for me to rank the albums from this classic period. I can make an argument for all of them as the best. But here's how I rank them today:

2) Astral Weeks

3) Moondance

4) Hard Nose the Highway

5) Tupelo Honey

7) Veedon Fleece

Hope this helps. I envy anyone who is exploring Van for the first time. It can be something of a religious experience!

What would you say is the essential releases after this classic period!?

2) Astral Weeks

3) Moondance

4) Hard Nose the Highway

5) Tupelo Honey

7) Veedon Fleece

What would you say is the essential releases after this classic period!?

For me it becomes a mixed bag, not unlike Neil Young after his classic period. You'll find some incredible music on a par with Van's classic period alongside material I could take or leave. Most every album has at least one or two great songs.

The first thing I would track down is The Philosopher's Stone. This is an outstanding album of outtakes that contains some of Van's all-time greatest songs--the original version of "Wonderful Remark," for example.

I love Wavelength's title track

Into the Music is an excellent album, and most fans agree.

Common One is very underrated IMHO. "Wild Honey" is absolutely gorgeous, and "Spirit" is a great cut.

No Guru, No Method, No Teacher and Poetic Champion's Compose are both excellent.

I'm personally a big fan of Magic Time.

Just some musings off the top of my head...

• Like 1

Yeah, thus far, my Van collection stops at "It's Too Late..." and then I've got a collection called "The Essential Van Morrison". And my mom has The Best of Vol 2, which mostly focuses on 80s/90s Van (plus a couple Them tracks)

Based on the cuts I dig from those collections, I need to get (at least)

The Philosopher's Stone

Enlightenment

Avalon Sunset

No Guru

Poetic Champions

• Like 2

The other night, I went on air for about 90 minutes, unannounced on Deep Nuggets . Was feeling a little blue, and I thought playing DJ would help.

When I DJ, I don't usually plan ahead. I go with my gut. Sometimes I don't pick the next song until the current one is almost done. Going for flow, for mood, etc.

Anyway, I played "And It Stoned Me".

One of my listeners said, "Wow, this is fantastic. I like Van but I've never heard this song before."

So yeah... Moondance album is a good place to start for sure... Side 1 track 1, bliss.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 1