True Or False! "The Joshua Tree" Is The Last Great U2 Record! New Reissue Is Out! Bonus Discs! Live 1987! I Actually LiKE!

Do You Find Glee With The Joshua Tree Or Do You Just Pee On that MTV Pop Pussy Tree?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. "The Joshua Tree" By U2 Is The Last Greatest Album That Have Ever Done! "Even Better Than The Real Thing!"

• TRUE: "The Joshua Tree" Is a masterpiece!!! Will withstand the test of time!
    • FALSE: "The Joshua Tree" is pure pop poop! The MTV masses masturbate to every note. Sonny Bono had more talent! RIP
    • Earl: I can't vote because you have no filter. You are a rude and selfish bastard with your profanity. I am constantly offended by you but I still read your shtie.

Achtung Baby is the last great U2 album. The Joshua Tree is their go to masterpiece, it's their Who's​ Next or Dark Side of the Moon. I think it's​ a great album. Personally, I have too many good memories attached to The Joshua Tree to feel otherwise.

As for U2 the band, I find them insufferable at times. A perfect example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

The Edge is a hack. Bono is full of himself. And the other two are two of the luckiest people in the world.

It's rock and roll, baby.

I can understand not liking the edges style but he's hardly a hack. He has one of the most unique styles ever. He relies on electronics to create the style but a lot of people do.

• Like 2

Achtung Baby is the last great U2 album. The Joshua Tree is their go to masterpiece, it's their Who's​ Next or Dark Side of the Moon. I think it's​ a great album. Personally, I have too many good memories attached to The Joshua Tree to feel otherwise.

As for U2 the band, I find them insufferable at times. A perfect example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

The Edge is a hack. Bono is full of himself. And the other two are two of the luckiest people in the world.

I can understand not liking the edges style but he's hardly a hack. He has one of the most unique styles ever. He relies on electronics to create the style but a lot of people do.

I somewhat disagree. He pretty much lifted his style from Keith Levene and Tom Verlaine. I don't hate the Edge, he has had a hand in writing songs I enjoy, but I don't see him as unique or innovative. Most of what inspired him or influenced him hasn't reached a large audience, everything he does has been done before he made it popular.

I somewhat disagree. He pretty much lifted his style from Keith Levene and Tom Verlaine. I don't hate the Edge, he has had a hand in writing songs I enjoy, but I don't see him as unique or innovative. Most of what inspired him or influenced him hasn't reached a large audience, everything he does has been done before he made it popular.

I guess it boils down to a distinction between lifting and influence.

You know, I guess hack is too negative a word. I guess the Edge basically taught himself his style by what was going on at the time. Post-punk beginnings. I won't call him a hack, just not as original a player as he's made out to be.

• Like 1

Hahahah!

I've been saying that about Clayton forever! At least Larry can play the drums.

Henry Rollins agrees. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKntmoeS7Uk

Don't care. I don't go for empty appeals to authority.

• Like 1

You know, I guess hack is too negative a word. I guess the Edge basically taught himself his style by what was going on at the time. Post-punk beginnings. I won't call him a hack, just not as original a player as he's made out to be.

I can see what you're saying. Like I said earlier I noticed some similarities in his approach to Pete Townsend (w/o the effects) that I never realized before.

Earl, I can't vote cuz I love The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby equally.

I understand many love "Achtung Baby." Is it because U2 changed their sound from MTV commercial pop to European dance pop? I don't even know what to call that sound.

• Like 1

I understand many love "Achtung Baby." Is it because U2 changed their sound from MTV commercial pop to European dance pop? I don't even know what to call that sound.

I am a big Larry Jr fan and it just seemed they put Larry on the back burner and went with a more of a modern drum machinist feel. YUCK!

I dunno , u2 kinda sucks all around lol. But joshua tree is prob their least sucky effort

Im no hater tho, they have a few good songs i like.

What album is bullet in a blue sky in? I like that one

I dunno , u2 kinda sucks all around lol. But joshua tree is prob their least sucky effort

Hahaha! Funny guy. They are soooo sucky now.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Hahaha! Funny guy. They are soooo sucky now.

Its best i keep the humor up, i usually dont have much else to add...

But they just announced a show here in indy, who knows may go. We rarely get anyone big

That was initially one of the reasons I LIKED Achtung Baby, it was unlike most material on their prior releases and was unique-ish. There's also a few well written songs, interesting soundscapes, and some heavier/edgier stuff. They continued this direction on subsequent albums but I kinda felt like they were overplaying their newfound toy and I lost interest pretty quick. I was also leaning more towards harder rock [including Rush], progressive, and some metal at that time. The sameness on Pop and Zooropa were a turnoff to me, but because Achtung Baby came first and I got to know it, I see it as a one-off (when in reality it was just the start of a series of (overly) similar albums that didn't appeal to me, and still don't).

Edited by stoopid

Bullet is on Joshua Tree....

• Like 1

I didn't know that Achtung was in any way European dance pop, or that it was influenced by that. Maybe it was...

I liked it cause it was a tweak to their sound, and some of the songs were really solid.