• The Main Monkey Business
    • The Way the Wind Blows
    • Hope
    • Faithless
    • Bravest Face
    • Good News First
    • Malignant Narcissism
    • We Hold On

The Way The Wind Blows has a goofy intro...a minute of Neil putzing around on his snare.

Rattlesnake.

huh? :eh:

The album is "Snakes...". The drum intro imitates the rattle of a snake.

I suppose it's plausible that that's what it's intended to be...I'm not totally convinced. Seems too literal. But I could be wrong. This is coming from someone who firmly believes that the weird drum trigger in Dreamline that comes after the line 'She's got a sister out in Vegas, the promise of a decent job far away from her home town' is intended to be a lone dog barking in the distance . It fits the narrative. Go listen to it and tell me it doesn't. People have told me 'no, it's just a drum trigger, it's not intended to be anything'. I beg to differ..so if you think it's a snake rattle then who am I to say it isn't?

Edited by Alien Girl
  • Like 1

The Way The Wind Blows has a goofy intro...a minute of Neil putzing around on his snare.

Rattlesnake.

I suppose it's plausible that that's what it's intended to be...I'm not totally convinced. Seems too literal. But I could be wrong. This is coming from someone who firmly believes that the weird drum trigger in Dreamline that comes after the line 'She's got a sister out in Vegas,the promise of a decent job, far away from her hometown' is intended to be lone dog barking in the distance. It fits the narrative. So if you think it's a snake rattle then who am I to say it isn't?

I thought I read somewhere years ago the same thing that goose is saying here.

• Like 1

I don't know what's up with the weird font change but I edited my post to make more sense and be less odd looking. :eh:

Rattlesnake.

I suppose it's plausible that that's what it's intended to be...I'm not totally convinced. Seems too literal. But I could be wrong. This is coming from someone who firmly believes that the weird drum trigger in Dreamline that comes after the line 'She's got a sister out in Vegas,the promise of a decent job, far away from her hometown' is intended to be lone dog barking in the distance. It fits the narrative. So if you think it's a snake rattle then who am I to say it isn't?

Ah, but did you read it from Goose though?

• Like 1

Rattlesnake.

:LOL:

I forgot I read it until goose said it here. I THINK I read it in an interview with Peart at the time Snakes was new. I could be wrong.

Maybe goose is just THAT convincing. :unsure:

Rattlesnake.

I forgot I read it until goose said it here. I THINK I read it in an interview with Peart at the time Snakes was new. I could be wrong.

If only! I read it long ago during the original release.

As for it being too literal, how is it that the meaning was missed, then?

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Rattlesnake.

If only! I read it long ago during the original release.

Ah ok. My initial thought was right: I DID read it somewhere when Snakes was new.

Rattlesnake.

I suppose it's plausible that that's what it's intended to be...I'm not totally convinced. Seems too literal. But I could be wrong. This is coming from someone who firmly believes that the weird drum trigger in Dreamline that comes after the line 'She's got a sister out in Vegas, the promise of a decent job far away from her home town' is intended to be a lone dog barking in the distance . It fits the narrative. Go listen to it and tell me it doesn't. People have told me 'no, it's just a drum trigger, it's not intended to be anything'. I beg to differ..so if you think it's a snake rattle then who am I to say it isn't?

I always assumed it was supposed to be a dog too.

• Like 1

Rattlesnake.

Thank god...I thought my sister and I were the only ones! So many people told me I was crazy, that it wasn't a dog, was never supposed to be a dog, (just trigger sound) I thought I was the crazy one!

• Like 1

Rattlesnake.

Thank god...I thought my sister and I were the only ones! So many people told me I was crazy, that it wasn't a dog, was never supposed to be a dog, (just trigger sound) I thought I was the crazy one!

No you're not crazy. My wife noted the same thing when she heard it too. Its a dog barking.

• Like 1

Snakes & Arrows easily has the most interesting songs and lyrics out of any RUSH album released after the 80s. It is absolutely fun and really makes the listener think. There are few albums that are more fun for me to blast on my stereo to sing and jump around to. Every song on this album barre 4 is more interesting and thoughtfully composed than any song on either Vapor Trails or Clockwork Angels. I think some people found themselves expecting RUSH to just put out boring LOUD monotone music after Vapor Trails and instead they went and captured the spirit of their heyday with deep thoughtful songs and amazing acoustic guitar arrangements. You want dull, listen to Vapor Trails or the never-ending drone of Clockwork Angels. The title track alone on that album feels like it goes on for a century; talk about boring! Perhaps Snakes & Arrows wasn't the album everyone was expecting, but it certainly was the album that delivered the best song-craft and imagination by RUSH in years. Truly a great album.

For me, Vapor Trails (original) and Clockwork Angels are right up there with it. Maybe not sonically, but in just about every other way.

Rattlesnake.

The dog bark vs. "ping" is an old debate, going back to 1991, even. Check out this thread from the original National Midnight Star website:

http://white-barn.com/nms/html/nms_356.htm

: :codger:

• Like 2

Rattlesnake.

The dog bark vs. "ping" is an old debate, going back to 1991, even. Check out this thread from the original National Midnight Star website:

http://white-barn.co...tml/nms_356.htm

Whoa. Blast from the past. Cool.

Rattlesnake.

http://white-barn.co...tml/nms_356.htm

Whoa. Blast from the past. Cool.

The net has come a long way. :LOL:

Top 3:

1. Armor & Sword

2. Far Cry

3. The Main Monkey Business

^These tracks are amongst the band's all time best imo. Unfortunately there are also a few songs on this album I would consider to be filler. I honestly feel the album would have been much stronger if these songs had been cut - it would have still clocked in at around 40 mins.

Filler: The Larger Bowl (A Pantoum), Spindrift, Bravest Face, Good News First

Edited by Drummerrobin

I have to agree with diatribein's post of 6/9. For me its way better than VT (even the re-mix), much better than CA, better than T4E (which is a decent album) & much better than RTB's. Counterparts is very close but I think S&A may be slightly better. Presto is about on par with it. The last album that was definitely better was HYF.

Thats how good S&A is (although its also a compliment to Counterpart & Presto). The music is fine, great recording & interesting lyrics. Thank goodness they squeezed this album in between VT & CA. Thankfully they also toured extensively to support this album.

For fillers there were only 3 They are:

Good News First

Bravest Face

Mal Nar.

For the top 3 songs its:

1. Working them angeles

2. TMMB

3. Far Cry.

The first 2 are easy picks. The 3'rd song was a hard pick over The Larger Bowl, A & S, The Way The Wind Blows & Hope.

This is really a fine album that has aged well.

• Like 1

Excellent:

1. "Faithless"

2. "Far Cry"

3. "The Main Monkey Business"

4. "Malignant Narcissism"

Great:

5. "Workin' Them Angels"

6. "We Hold On"

7. "Armor And Sword"

Good:

8. "The Larger Bowl"