• The Main Monkey Business
    • The Way the Wind Blows
    • Hope
    • Faithless
    • Bravest Face
    • Good News First
    • Malignant Narcissism
    • We Hold On

I don't understand all the praise for Armour and Sword. It seems to plod along painfully.

The plodding nature fits the song's heaviness. Great lyrics also. I've praised that song since first listen.

It's a very well-composed song. Nothing feels shoe-horned.

But it is plodding.

• Like 1

I don't understand all the praise for Armour and Sword. It seems to plod along painfully.

The plodding nature fits the song's heaviness. Great lyrics also. I've praised that song since first listen.

But it is plodding.

Yes. A deliberate plodding march. Personally, I find it very effective.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 3

But it is plodding.

Yes. A deliberate plodding march. Personally, I find it very effective.

War machine.

I think I'm starting to get what all the haters are so upset by, the tempo of a lot of the songs. This is probably why the most uptempo song (Far Cry) is winning the vote. That said, for the tempo fascists, you shouldn't be hating on We Hold On, since it is also a very fast-tempo heavy rocker and really intense to boot. I myself LOVE well written mid-tempo songs. Maybe that's why Geddy's solo album isn't that popular here either. Lot's of great mid-tempo songs on that too. I, on the other hand, dislike needless odd tempo changes (like those on Clockwork Angels and specifically Headlong Flight). Snakes & Arrows doesn't do that. It does rocking intense mid-tempo songs with top-notch lyrics and songcraft. It really is one of their best albums.

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 4

"Tempo fascists" lol

I don't hate We Hold On. Its OK, just not all that memorable. Its like they felt like rewriting Carve Away The Stone or any of the other "optimistic album closers".

Needless tempo changes...hmmm. Yeah if you want to go back a few albums, Time And Motion got a lot of stick for sounding disjointed for the sake of it. And a lot of the newer material too. For example, The Way The Wind Blows has a goofy intro...a minute of Neil putzing around on his snare. Then a bluesey guitar solo. Then into a totally unrelated heavy rock riff and the song itself. Its like Alex was like "hey, I recorded this cool blues guitar part" and Nick R said "ok no problem, Ill just tack it onto the start of one of the songs" lol

I think I'm starting to get what all the haters are so upset by, the tempo of a lot of the songs. This is probably why the most uptempo song (Far Cry) is winning the vote. That said, for the tempo fascists, you shouldn't be hating on We Hold On, since it is also a very fast-tempo heavy rocker and really intense to boot. I myself LOVE well written mid-tempo songs. Maybe that's why Geddy's solo album isn't that popular here either. Lot's of great mid-tempo songs on that too. I, on the other hand, dislike needless odd tempo changes (like those on Clockwork Angels and specifically Headlong Flight). Snakes & Arrows doesn't do that. It does rocking intense mid-tempo songs with top-notch lyrics and songcraft. It really is one of their best albums.

You're "starting to get" it?! Haters have been complaining about the "plodding tempo" for the last 10 years. THAT and/or the vocals + lyrics.

I'm not a hater. I'm a dislike-half-of-itter. ;)

• Like 2

You're "starting to get" it?! Haters have been complaining about the "plodding tempo" for the last 10 years. THAT and/or the vocals + lyrics.

It is just so foreign that it hadn't even occurred to me that someone could dislike songs just because they are mid-tempo. I can understand excruciatingly slow songs being a drag, but there is none of that here. It's not Celine Dion, for goodness sake! I love mid-tempo rock. A good deal of my collection is mid-tempo rock and I don't think RUSH are strangers to it either. Snakes & Arrows does mid-tempo rock better than any other RUSH album.

It is just so foreign that it hadn't even occurred to me that someone could dislike songs just because they are mid-tempo. I can understand excruciatingly slow songs being a drag, but there is none of that here. It's not Celine Dion, for goodness sake! I love mid-tempo rock. A good deal of my collection is mid-tempo rock and I don't think RUSH are strangers to it either. Snakes & Arrows does mid-tempo rock better than any other RUSH album.

TRF has consistently sung the praises of Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures but it surprises you that some of us dislike Snakes?!

I'm not surprised that you & others like Bravest Face.

I wasn't surprised that you could dislike Headlong Flight.

So I can't understand why you can't grasp the concept that Snakes isn't as liked as you'd like it to be.

You like what you like. Others don't have to like what you like or for the reasons that you like something. Why is this a mystery/foreign concept?

• Like 1

TRF has consistently sung the praises of Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures but it surprises you that some of us dislike Snakes?!

So I can't understand why you can't grasp the concept that Snakes isn't as liked as you'd like it to be.

You like what you like. Others don't have to like what you like or for the reasons that you like something. Why is this a mystery/foreign concept?

My personal Top 5 RUSH albums:

1. Grace Under Pressure

2. Power Windows

3. Permanent Waves

4. Moving Pictures

5. Snakes & Arrows

You see, RUSH fans can LOVE Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, AND Snakes & Arrows; hence my confusion. To me Snakes & Arrows falls right in line with Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. So yes, I am surprised when someone who loves those 2 albums says insipid and nasty things about an album that I feel is right up there and very much within a similar writing vein and style to them. I totally get how someone who thinks Hemispheres is the best RUSH album loves Headlong Flight and Clockwork Angels, because I do see similarities there too. What bothers me is you and others taking extra effort to slam Snakes & Arrows (and Test For Echo and Roll The Bones, for that matter) for no reason.

WHY did you make your stupid comment about Bravest Face on a thread about Limelight (http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/103248-would-you-give-up-limelight/page__st__40#entry4348399)? Did you just feel like being a dick for fun, or do you think you are being witty by putting down music that others love? Why do you feel the need to come back and leave additional negative comments over and over again on the dedicated Snakes & Arrows celebratory thread? If there was a thread celebrating Hemispheres, I would say I love Circumstances, but never listen to Side A or the instrumental, so overall my rating of the album is poor and not bother to comment again. I don't think it is a particularly good idea to shit on someone's party. It's actually pretty rude and forces oneupmanship; meaning the more you take shots at what I love, I am forced to take shots at what you love to keep things balanced. It is generally a stupid way to behave. I rather focus on the positives, but some people feel the need to throw insulting comments at RUSH songs/albums I love for the fuckk of it. I'm sorry you feel the need to be such a dick about things.

Bravest Face is an awesome song. I am sorry that a RUSH fan saying that on a RUSH Fan Board is so upsetting to you that you have to constantly contradict the statement. It must be a bitch being that insecure.

1. Grace Under Pressure

2. Power Windows

3. Permanent Waves

4. Moving Pictures

5. Snakes & Arrows

You see, RUSH fans can LOVE Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, AND Snakes & Arrows; hence my confusion. To me Snakes & Arrows falls right in line with Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. So yes, I am surprised when someone who loves those 2 albums says insipid and nasty things about an album that I feel is right up there and very much within a similar writing vein and style to them. I totally get how someone who thinks Hemispheres is the best RUSH album loves Headlong Flight and Clockwork Angels, because I do see similarities there too. What bothers me is you and others taking extra effort to slam Snakes & Arrows (and Test For Echo and Roll The Bones, for that matter) for no reason.

WHY did you make your stupid comment about Bravest Face on a thread about Limelight (http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/103248-would-you-give-up-limelight/page__st__40#entry4348399)? Did you just feel like being a dick for fun, or do you think you are being witty by putting down music that others love? Why do you feel the need to come back and leave additional negative comments over and over again on the dedicated Snakes & Arrows celebratory thread? If there was a thread celebrating Hemispheres, I would say I love Circumstances, but never listen to Side A or the instrumental, so overall my rating of the album is poor and not bother to comment again. I don't think it is a particularly good idea to shit on someone's party. It's actually pretty rude and forces oneupmanship; meaning the more you take shots at what I love, I am forced to take shots at what you love to keep things balanced. It is generally a stupid way to behave. I rather focus on the positives, but some people feel the need to throw insulting comments at RUSH songs/albums I love for the fuckk of it. I'm sorry you feel the need to be such a dick about things.

Bravest Face is an awesome song. I am sorry that a RUSH fan saying that on a RUSH Fan Board is so upsetting to you that you have to constantly contradict the statement. It must be a bitch being that insecure.

You're just trolling now.

I said a song sucks. Big deal. I never insulted you. But because I dislike a song I'm a bla bla bla bla.

Insecure? You're the one having a conniption because bunghole JohnnyBlaze doesn't like a song. I already told you to like what you like. You like Snakes and Arrows? So what? I like half of it myself.

• Like 1

The Way The Wind Blows has a goofy intro...a minute of Neil putzing around on his snare.

Rattlesnake. Edited by goose

1. Grace Under Pressure

2. Power Windows

3. Permanent Waves

4. Moving Pictures

5. Snakes & Arrows

WHY did you make your stupid comment about Bravest Face on a thread about Limelight (http://www.therushfo...40#entry4348399)? Did you just feel like being a dick for fun, or do you think you are being witty by putting down music that others love? Why do you feel the need to come back and leave additional negative comments over and over again on the dedicated Snakes & Arrows celebratory thread? If there was a thread celebrating Hemispheres, I would say I love Circumstances, but never listen to Side A or the instrumental, so overall my rating of the album is poor and not bother to comment again. I don't think it is a particularly good idea to shit on someone's party. It's actually pretty rude and forces oneupmanship; meaning the more you take shots at what I love, I am forced to take shots at what you love to keep things balanced. It is generally a stupid way to behave. I rather focus on the positives, but some people feel the need to throw insulting comments at RUSH songs/albums I love for the fuckk of it. I'm sorry you feel the need to be such a dick about things.

"It's only rock and roll" - some old bastard

"You say potato and I say WRONG!" - TRF

"Blah blah blah" - A Lifeson

1. Grace Under Pressure

2. Power Windows

3. Permanent Waves

4. Moving Pictures

5. Snakes & Arrows

WHY did you make your stupid comment about Bravest Face on a thread about Limelight (http://www.therushfo...40#entry4348399)? Did you just feel like being a dick for fun, or do you think you are being witty by putting down music that others love? Why do you feel the need to come back and leave additional negative comments over and over again on the dedicated Snakes & Arrows celebratory thread? If there was a thread celebrating Hemispheres, I would say I love Circumstances, but never listen to Side A or the instrumental, so overall my rating of the album is poor and not bother to comment again. I don't think it is a particularly good idea to shit on someone's party. It's actually pretty rude and forces oneupmanship; meaning the more you take shots at what I love, I am forced to take shots at what you love to keep things balanced. It is generally a stupid way to behave. I rather focus on the positives, but some people feel the need to throw insulting comments at RUSH songs/albums I love for the fuckk of it. I'm sorry you feel the need to be such a dick about things.

And I'm sorry that someone making a harmless throwaway negative comment about a song that you like upset you so much that you had to resort to childish namecalling. You say you'd "rather focus on the positives," but in the same paragraph you're calling someone a "dick"? And then you say, "It must be a bitch being that insecure," yet your whole post is dripping with insecurity. How DARE someone not like something that you like!!!

In other words, cut the crap diatribein.

• Like 4

1. Grace Under Pressure

2. Power Windows

3. Permanent Waves

4. Moving Pictures

5. Snakes & Arrows

Taste in music is certainly all subjective...however, anyone who relegates a masterpiece such as La Villa Strangiato to simply "the instrumental" off an album such as Hemispheres is a questionable Rush fan at best*. :poke: I get that you dislike instrumentals overall but discounting some of their greatest musical achievements yet lauding discordant tone-deaf filler such as Bravest Fave is just a tad odd and is a little insulting in it's own right.

*j/k...kind of.

• Like 3

"Tempo fascists" lol

I don't hate We Hold On. Its OK, just not all that memorable. Its like they felt like rewriting Carve Away The Stone or any of the other "optimistic album closers".

Needless tempo changes...hmmm. Yeah if you want to go back a few albums, Time And Motion got a lot of stick for sounding disjointed for the sake of it. And a lot of the newer material too. For example, The Way The Wind Blows has a goofy intro...a minute of Neil putzing around on his snare. Then a bluesey guitar solo. Then into a totally unrelated heavy rock riff and the song itself. Its like Alex was like "hey, I recorded this cool blues guitar part" and Nick R said "ok no problem, Ill just tack it onto the start of one of the songs" lol

I love that part. When was the last time something like that was ever on a Rush album? I hope one day Alex records a Blues album.

• Like 1

I don't understand a lot of what goes on here, but this is the part of the Internet.

• Like 2

I don't necessarily have a problem with a mid tempo rock song in general. Its just that when Rush made almost an entire album of them it bored me to death because its not what I expect from them and I like my Rush quirky and interesting and exciting NOT plodding and too serious and dull

• Like 4

Snakes & Arrows easily has the most interesting songs and lyrics out of any RUSH album released after the 80s. It is absolutely fun and really makes the listener think. There are few albums that are more fun for me to blast on my stereo to sing and jump around to. Every song on this album barre 4 is more interesting and thoughtfully composed than any song on either Vapor Trails or Clockwork Angels. I think some people found themselves expecting RUSH to just put out boring LOUD monotone music after Vapor Trails and instead they went and captured the spirit of their heyday with deep thoughtful songs and amazing acoustic guitar arrangements. You want dull, listen to Vapor Trails or the never-ending drone of Clockwork Angels. The title track alone on that album feels like it goes on for a century; talk about boring! Perhaps Snakes & Arrows wasn't the album everyone was expecting, but it certainly was the album that delivered the best song-craft and imagination by RUSH in years. Truly a great album. Edited by diatribein
  • Like 1

I don't necessarily have a problem with a mid tempo rock song in general. Its just that when Rush made almost an entire album of them it bored me to death because its not what I expect from them and I like my Rush quirky and interesting and exciting NOT plodding and too serious and dull

Yes! Totally agree.

The Way The Wind Blows has a goofy intro...a minute of Neil putzing around on his snare.

Rattlesnake.

huh? :eh:

The album is "Snakes...". The drum intro imitates the rattle of a snake.
  • Like 1

"Tempo fascists" lol

I love that part. When was the last time something like that was ever on a Rush album? I hope one day Alex records a Blues album.

That intro is fantastic!...the weird juxtaposition of Neil's drums into Alex's righteous blues guitar. So good.

• Like 1

"Tempo fascists" lol

I think he CAN do it...but I also think he's a bit too spontaneous to specifically make a blues album. Alex seems like he writes whatever inspires him at the time. I can imagine some of it would be blues and the other parts would wander into other places (genres)