Howard Ungerleider on Future Touring

Ron2112

It's still bullshit that he killed the band for his own selfish desire and almost out of spite for Geddy and Alex. It's like he pretty much told them "Ha ha you can't do anything without me and I'm never going to perform ever again :)"

This is either really bad trolling or the rantings of someone who is not very smart. You decide which.

• Like 4

Howard weighs in here......

http://www.rushisaba...dcast-interview

Here's the problem I have with the current "Neil's Physical Condition" party line:

Every physical problem described by Neil in his book was resultant from and/or exacerbated by his choice to travel 300 miles by motorcycle between shows. That's easily fixable, and if Neil truly loved playing, creating, or performing, he'd find a way to make it happen.

I'd have a lot more respect for the guy -- and fans would have a lot more closure -- if Neil would just say, "I'm tired of the business and I have enough money, so sorry -- I'm done." Which I suspect is a lot closer to the case. It was pretty much hinted at in the horrible "Middle 8" section of the last book. But I suppose it's not cool to tell the fans, "look, the only reason I stuck around since SnA was because I needed to shore up Olivia's college fund."

Neil had a great career, and quitting is certainly his right and his choice. But leaving fans, and apparently his bandmates hanging by citing physical conditions that may get better, just seems disingenouous.

Why anyone at all would like this post is beyond. After 40 years you are owed absolutely no explanation whatsoever.

Also, of coarse he did it to build more wealth for things like his kids college. It's work what he does. Its a job. I work out of necessity not because I want to. He probably wished he could retire a long time before that.

You are going to judge his physical condition issues because you think its self inflicted? Sorry, but who cares what you think? If he couldn't do it on motorcycle he would have retired before S&A

Some of you people are just nuts. He wanted to retire, period end of story.

It's still bullshit that he killed the band for his own selfish desire and almost out of spite for Geddy and Alex. It's like he pretty much told them "Ha ha you can't do anything without me and I'm never going to perform ever again :)"

Selfish desire? Really? He didn't kill anything. He retired. He hasn't wanted to tour for the last 20 years so the fact that he did tells you how much he loves Geddy and Alex.

Also, no one is stopping them from continuing on as musicians. Just not as Rush.

This.

This is either really bad trolling or the rantings of someone who is not very smart. You decide which.

This 2

Here's the problem I have with the current "Neil's Physical Condition" party line:

Every physical problem described by Neil in his book was resultant from and/or exacerbated by his choice to travel 300 miles by motorcycle between shows. That's easily fixable, and if Neil truly loved playing, creating, or performing, he'd find a way to make it happen.

I'd have a lot more respect for the guy -- and fans would have a lot more closure -- if Neil would just say, "I'm tired of the business and I have enough money, so sorry -- I'm done." Which I suspect is a lot closer to the case. It was pretty much hinted at in the horrible "Middle 8" section of the last book. But I suppose it's not cool to tell the fans, "look, the only reason I stuck around since SnA was because I needed to shore up Olivia's college fund."

Neil had a great career, and quitting is certainly his right and his choice. But leaving fans, and apparently his bandmates hanging by citing physical conditions that may get better, just seems disingenouous.

Why anyone at all would like this post is beyond. After 40 years you are owed absolutely no explanation whatsoever.

Also, of coarse he did it to build more wealth for things like his kids college. It's work what he does. Its a job. I work out of necessity not because I want to. He probably wished he could retire a long time before that.

You are going to judge his physical condition issues because you think its self inflicted? Sorry, but who cares what you think? If he couldn't do it on motorcycle he would have retired before S&A

.....and Exhibit A on missing the f-ing point.

Neil wants to retire. Fine. Was it really necessary to publish a book that's openly disdainful the music business, his fans, and even his bandmates in the process? I say no. Did you even read "Far and Away" to know what I'm talking about?

And then after subjecting us to his diatribe, there are STILL members of the Rush camp citing "health reasons" ad to why Neil likely won't play again. It's bullshit.

THAT'S what we're complaining about.

• Like 1

Why doesn't Neil just put out a clear statement saying that he's done? That would not only be fair to his band mates and crew but also put an end to everyones misery!

Didn't he do that?

Edited to add:

https://consequenceo...red-from-music/

Yes he did do just that. Many are still in denial.

Really, that's hardly an official statement especially as 'the guys at work' don't even seem to know! I'm not in denial and I believe Neil is done but it would put an end to all this if he clarified his situation, that's my opinion anyway!

Edited by New Digital Man
  • Like 1

Why doesn't Neil just put out a clear statement saying that he's done? That would not only be fair to his band mates and crew but also put an end to everyones misery!

Didn't he do that?

Edited to add:

https://consequenceo...red-from-music/

Yes he did do just that. Many are still in denial.

Really, that's hardly an official statement especially as 'the guys at work' don't even seem to know! I'm not in denial and I believe Neil is done but it would put an end to all this if he clarified his situation, that's my opinion anyway!

He even posted a story in his blog about dropping his bike on the pavement a few years earlier since he didn't need to keep it a secret for insurance purposes anymore. Sounds like a guy done touring to me.

• Like 1

.....and Exhibit A on missing the f-ing point.

Neil wants to retire. Fine. Was it really necessary to publish a book that's openly disdainful the music business, his fans, and even his bandmates in the process? I say no. Did you even read "Far and Away" to know what I'm talking about?

And then after subjecting us to his diatribe, there are STILL members of the Rush camp citing "health reasons" ad to why Neil likely won't play again. It's bullshit.

THAT'S what we're complaining about.

Can't speak for any member of the Rush camp, but it seems to me Neil has been pretty clear almost from Day 1. That said. I can understand why there would be miscommunication or misinterpretation of his intentions in that camp. I never saw it as ""health reasons" (Except for the his misfortune on the last tour.) I see it as he can't perform to the level he's always set for himself. For me, it's really that simple. But then Alex wasn't really killing it for the first half of the tour either, but he's better about not letting that stuff bother him as much. It's not going to get any better and I can't even imagine what goes on when those kinds of decisions have to be made.

Geddy is really the only one who still plays at a pretty high level. His singing is atrocious, but he still slays the bass. Alex seems to struggle a bit and Neil has lost a step or two imo.
  • Like 2

Geddy is really the only one who still plays at a pretty high level. His singing is atrocious, but he still slays the bass. Alex seems to struggle a bit and Neil has lost a step or two imo.

I agree with this completely. I think it's a very accurate assessment.

• Like 1

I just listened to an interview with Geddy done right after his solo album (which you guys probably know by heart) when he said Rush wouldn't continue without touring. He said he doesn't like touring, but that Rush essentially proves itself by performing live and without that it wouldn't be Rush. He also said that if Rush was over he would want to continue producing music. Of course, he also said he wasn't a very good bass player because he was lazy. Of course this was all prior to his voice issues and if Neil didn't want to tour then he wasn't telling the guys from work that. Edited by IwillchooseFreeWill
  • Like 1

I'm totally satiated with what Rush have us, and the R40 tour was an improbable blessing.

We got to see them do stuff again we thought we would never hear again live.

My only gripe is their pussyfooting around the question of to what extent they are "done:.

That. Annoys. Me.

Just tell us what we can reasonably expect from 'Rush' in some form or other in the future.

A single possibly?

A limited engagement somewhere playing a short list of old stuff?

Don't leave us hanging.

Just say you're done as Rush for cridakes

I'm totally satiated with what Rush have us, and the R40 tour was an improbable blessing.

My only gripe is their pussyfooting around the question of to what extent they are "done:.

That. Annoys. Me.

Just tell us what we can reasonably expect from 'Rush' in some form or other in the future.

A single possibly?

Don't leave us hanging.

Just say you're done as Rush for crisakes

Agree...and while we can all see where it appears to be heading,

unfortunately, I don't think any of them know, with 100% certainty. Neil appears fully committed to retirement, but historically, management (or the band) have found a chink in the armour and have managed to push the right buttons to get Neil out on the road. Given that's often been the case in the past, it wouldn't surprise me if some in the Rush camp are holding on to that VERY faint hope...hence the reasoning behind no official announcement having been made yet.

Edited by Phantom

I just listened to an interview with Geddy done right after his solo album (which you guys probably know by heart) when he said Rush wouldn't continue without touring. He said he doesn't like touring, but that Rush essentially proves itself by performing live and without that it wouldn't be Rush. He also said that if Rush was over he would want to continue producing music. Of course, he also said he wasn't a very good bass player because he was lazy. Of course this was all prior to his voice issues and if Neil didn't want to tour then he wasn't telling the guys from work that.

Which interview is that? That's pretty much what he's been saying all along.

I just listened to an interview with Geddy done right after his solo album (which you guys probably know by heart) when he said Rush wouldn't continue without touring. He said he doesn't like touring, but that Rush essentially proves itself by performing live and without that it wouldn't be Rush. He also said that if Rush was over he would want to continue producing music. Of course, he also said he wasn't a very good bass player because he was lazy. Of course this was all prior to his voice issues and if Neil didn't want to tour then he wasn't telling the guys from work that.

It was on iTunes. I was just making sure I did have the solo album and this interview popped up.

It was on iTunes. I was just making sure I did have the solo album and this interview popped up.

Hmm.. might have that on CD. Was trying to figure out if I've heard it before.

Title of thread...misleading!

This is a collective of Rush fans talking about future touring.

I guarantee you that Neil is not thinking about this right now. And neither are Geddy and Alex, at this point.

• Like 1

I'm sure Neil would be happy for Geddy and Alex to go out on the road without him as every time they play a Rush tune then Neil gets paid!

I don't think that's how royalties work???

Surely Neil would only get paid if the show was broadcast or released as a live album?

I'm sure Neil would be happy for Geddy and Alex to go out on the road without him as every time they play a Rush tune then Neil gets paid!

Surely Neil would only get paid if the show was broadcast or released as a live album?

There is a performance royalty. So, for example, when a band plays a cover version of a RUSH tune in a public performance, RUSH (meaning Alex, Geddy AND Neil) get a small royalty for the public performance of a song they wrote. This is why if you have a bar with live music by bands playing covers, the bar has to pay ASCAP & BMI a blanket royalties covers fee. Neil would get paid a tiny amount for every song he has a writing credit on that Alex & Geddy would play live if they went out without him.

Edited by diatribein

Since when does Geddy not like touring and thinks himself a bad bassist? That's totally opposite of the impressions I've had

That is Ged being very humble about his playing. Geddy's thoughts on touring in 2000 vs. 2015 have to be completely different. Now that his touring days were numbered in 2015, he got a new appreciation of it. But I'm sure he doesn't miss the strict lifestyle he had endure in preserving his awfully shot, terrible, horrible voice, as some would say.

• Like 1

There is a performance royalty. So, for example, when a band plays a cover version of a RUSH tune in a public performance, RUSH (meaning Alex, Geddy AND Neil) get a small royalty for the public performance of a song they wrote. This is why if you have a bar with live music by bands playing covers, the bar has to pay ASCAP & BMI a blanket royalties covers fee. Neil would get paid a tiny amount for every song he has a writing credit on that Alex & Geddy would play live if they went out without him.

Yeah I'm sure they see VERY little of that money. It's not like they have monitors for this shit, and bars that actually pay those fees are few and far between.

Yeah I'm sure they see VERY little of that money. It's not like they have monitors for this shit, and bars that actually pay those fees are few and far between.

I know there's some mechanism for radio airplay where they listen and dole out pennies per song. There's very little for a cover version but there is some. I looked at royaltyexchange.com.

not all about his physical health only,losing one kid and not being around his new ones had to be a part of it.i am in the process of divorcing after being tofether 38 years,33 married.my kids are grown and married,but even after 3 years of constant fighting,i still miss the hell out of her.cant imagine him losing them likr he did. also,alex arthritis is a major factor.i imagine the cartoon at the start of each concert with alex in the wheelchair in the cartoon probably is a real thing.plus,i do not care how much ear protection you use,listening and being the source of mind numbing cranked up as loud as hell music 40 years has to seriously damage yourhearing.there is no way they could avoid that,all 3 of them. I am glad they rode off into the sunset the way they did with dignity,honor and respect like any great band should do.hate to see them beating a dead horse like the rolling stones are doing.

The Stones are still producing new music and touring behind that music......what's wrong with that?

the stones are

still touring,but they make on album every 6 years.i have seen the stones 2 times,last time they were not that good.i would hate to see the guys out there when they are in their late 60s charging boatloads of money for a ticket for a show they cant physically live up to.

Since when does Geddy not like touring and thinks himself a bad bassist? That's totally opposite of the impressions I've had

That is Ged being very humble about his playing. Geddy's thoughts on touring in 2000 vs. 2015 have to be completely different. Now that his touring days were numbered in 2015, he got a new appreciation of it. But I'm sure he doesn't miss the strict lifestyle he had endure in preserving his awfully shot, terrible, horrible voice, as some would say.

i thin

I Think geddy would be a great soundtrack writer for films or tv.he reminds me of john paul jones in musical ability.guy can play anything.

That. Annoys. Me.

A single possibly?

Don't leave us hanging.

Just say you're done as Rush for cridakes

That. Annoys. Me.

A single possibly?

Don't leave us hanging.

Just say you're done as Rush for crisakes

Agree...and while we can all see where it appears to be heading,

unfortunately, I don't think any of them know, with 100% certainty. Neil appears fully committed to retirement, but historically, management (or the band) have found a chink in the armour and have managed to push the right buttons to get Neil out on the road. Given that's often been the case in the past, it wouldn't surprise me if some in the Rush camp are holding on to that VERY faint hope...hence the reasoning behind no official announcement having been made yet.

i do not think that happens until is kid has graduated high school at the earliest.rush has toured more than any other well know band has.from the start of their band,i think they have all said enough is enough,and they have earned the right to do that.