Howard Ungerleider on Future Touring

Ron2112

I've read some of the nonsense on this thread... which is about the 300th time Rush (and Neil's) retirement has been talked about. I've kept telling myself to ignore this... don't bother ... But, I can't, so here it is: Neil has retired, the guy gave 40 plus years to his profession, and now he has his new life to live. LEAVE THE GODDAM GUY ALONE.

This.

It's unfortunate how entitled some fans are. Peart just gave 40 years and countless albums and tours, and some fans are still crying for more.

You can give it all, But you're still asked for more. Edited by rocketom
  • Like 1

I've read some of the nonsense on this thread... which is about the 300th time Rush (and Neil's) retirement has been talked about. I've kept telling myself to ignore this... don't bother ... But, I can't, so here it is: Neil has retired, the guy gave 40 plus years to his profession, and now he has his new life to live. LEAVE THE GODDAM GUY ALONE.

One reason I dont come here much is because Neil

This Neil that what are they going to do are they going to come back is there going to be a new drummer is it Rush without Neil shite.

As the man said Get a Life, people. Listen to something else in the mean time.

Okay. We'll listen to something else. But isn't this a Rush site? What the hell else are we supposed to talk about? What was better "Hemispheres" or "Moving Pictures" for the 400th time? I'm sure the site will eventually dissolve into a vapor trail...but until then, we're talking about the end of our favorite band and how it was handled. I mean, Rush is no more. If we can't discuss the why or how, we may as well shut the whole thing down. Because the discussion of the end is all we have left...

I see what you are saying, but still sounds like white noise to me. Yes we can discuss, doesn't mean we are going to get anywhere, unless of course they do have one more album in them. They I will eat my shoe and Hope I get another chance to see them live because I stupidly missed out on the last one.

• Like 1

I honestly hope there are no more albums and no more tours. Rush has given all they have to give to history and to the world. They have made a perfect finish like no other band in history has! Enough is enough!

Leave that band alone! :rush:

In all other walks of life, people are retiring at or before the age of the guys in Rush. The list of musicians of their era who have died in the last couple of years is staggering. The lifestyle is NOT easy on the human body. Neil owes the fans NOTHING. He has given us so much over the last 40 +years. Neil enjoy the rest of your days however you like.
  • Like 2

I believe a united front would have eased a lot of this "Peart Hate." If, on the documentary, they had all come out and said something to the effect of, "We've had a hell of a ride. But WE'VE decided we just can't perform at our peak anymore. So, unfortunately, R40 was our last tour."

Instead, Geddy and Alex both acted like they were disappointed that Neil was calling it quits. They really did him no favors in that regard.

Maybe they weren't "acting". Maybe (and probably) they were being genuine...as they always seem to be.

There were obviously some discussions we weren't privy to so we don't know the entire story. It would have been a bit more professional of Alex and Geddy provide more of a united front since it seemed that a part of Neil quitting was due to a physical ailment.

I have no doubt that Alex, Geddy and Neil had several meetings and discussions. They are not our business. However, I have no doubt that these discussions were 100% open and honest with each other.

I have also heard that Alex had some hand issues too. Tendonitis I think. So everyone should stop blaming Neil.

And then there's Geddy's changing voice... Maybe they all realized that it was time, even if in their hearts a couple of them didn't wanna stop.

• Like 3

I believe a united front would have eased a lot of this "Peart Hate." If, on the documentary, they had all come out and said something to the effect of, "We've had a hell of a ride. But WE'VE decided we just can't perform at our peak anymore. So, unfortunately, R40 was our last tour."

Instead, Geddy and Alex both acted like they were disappointed that Neil was calling it quits. They really did him no favors in that regard.

Maybe they weren't "acting". Maybe (and probably) they were being genuine...as they always seem to be.

There were obviously some discussions we weren't privy to so we don't know the entire story. It would have been a bit more professional of Alex and Geddy provide more of a united front since it seemed that a part of Neil quitting was due to a physical ailment.

I have no doubt that Alex, Geddy and Neil had several meetings and discussions. They are not our business. However, I have no doubt that these discussions were 100% open and honest with each other.

I have also heard that Alex had some hand issues too. Tendonitis I think. So everyone should stop blaming Neil.

And then there's Geddy's changing voice... Maybe they all realized that it was time, even if in their hearts a couple of them didn't wanna stop.

Just like the Brady Bunch episode when Peter Brady's voice changed.

Never the same.

• Like 2

Never the same.

"Well it's time to change, time to rearrange, bla bla bla bla...". Awful.

Must've seen that episode along with the rest at least 50 times each. :LOL:

• Like 1

As I've said before: I got no problem with Rush being done (or not...?), Peart retiring...all of that stuff is entirely their prerogative. They/he don't owe anyone jack shit. My feelings are not hurt either way. Whatever.

That said, I find Peart's schtick hilarious, tiresome, selfish and weird.

I get it and I understand it. However as a drummer of over 35 years, the only music I love to still play to everyday is RUSH music.

I know it's cliche, and tiresome like Neil's behavior, but it makes me HAPPY!

Some humans need to do yoga, meditation, hikes, long walks.

When I play my drums to Rush music I leave my relative body and become Eternal Earl.

All stress. All worry, all drama leave my high strung body.

I go from a stress ball Force Ten to a 1.

I wish all of you on here to find your happiness.

I hope all of you on here will find your peace of mind.

Mine is drumming.

Drumming to the Rush Canon.

May The Force Ten Be With You All.

Earl my man, what does one have to do with the other? The music created is totally independent from odd personality traits of the creator. The music is uplifting and amazing. That doesn't mean that the man hitting the things with sticks (his words not mine) is beyond reproach. This is the razor's edge we walk with so much information but I don't let the fact that Peart is an insular diva weirdo detract from his amazing abilities. I was just listening to Clockwork Angels...and I'm like "f**k he's on fire!"...that's some amazing drumming. Amazing music. It moves me.

Yet I chuckle at the man's behavior when I bother to think about it...which is, well, only when I'm here. Cause, y'know, I got stuff to do and it's not like I give that much of a f**k about it.

• Like 2

As I've said before: I got no problem with Rush being done (or not...?), Peart retiring...all of that stuff is entirely their prerogative. They/he don't owe anyone jack shit. My feelings are not hurt either way. Whatever.

I get it and I understand it. However as a drummer of over 35 years, the only music I love to still play to everyday is RUSH music.

When I play my drums to Rush music I leave my relative body and become Eternal Earl.

Mine is drumming.

Earl my man, what does one have to do with the other? The music created is totally independent from odd personality traits of the creator. The music is uplifting and amazing. That doesn't mean that the man hitting the things with sticks (his words not mine) is beyond reproach. This is the razor's edge we walk with so much information but I don't let the fact that Peart is an insular diva weirdo detract from his amazing abilities. I was just listening to Clockwork Angels...and I'm like "f**k he's on fire!"...that's some amazing drumming. Amazing music. It moves me.

Yet I chuckle at the man's behavior when I bother to think about it...which is, well, only when I'm here. Cause, y'know, I got stuff to do and it's not like I give that much of a f**k about it.

Hey my friend! WOW! What an incredible post!! I love how intellectual you are with your response to my fanfare.

I don't know what it is about me. I play to every RUSH album up to "Counterparts" and then I stop, but yes I get it! I think Neil killed it on "CA."

My God, "Headlong Flight" is EPIC. I LOVE "Snakes And Arrows." I should find my long winded review of that album on here when it came out.

I love the record.

Thank you for making me think about my post.

I truly am a broken record and I do wear my heart on my sleeve.

I really only rip "Test For Echo" and "Vapor Trails."

Everything else RUSH does is great for my ears.

Actually "Test For Echo" musically is excellent.

My friend, I love to make fun of Neil with my friends on here. It's just for entertainment. At the end of the day Neil Peart will always be my MAN until I die.

I have to play my drums to RUSH every day. It makes me happy.

Cheers!

Earl

"Insular!" What a word amigo!

I know a few people on here who hate me and label me insular.

I beg to differ.

Glad I went to college and earned an English Degree from St. Mary's College i Moraga California.

Funny how many think I'm a drug addict loser with a narrow mind and a BIG EGO.

That hurts man. Thank God for my thick skin.

Thank you Rush Forum! You made me what I am today!

I am stronger because of this place!

"Love Hurts"

Signed,

Nazareth

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Mine is drumming.

Hey my friend! WOW! What an incredible post!! I love how intellectual you are with your response to my fanfare.

I don't know what it is about me. I play to every RUSH album up to "Counterparts" and then I stop, but yes I get it! I think Neil killed it on "CA."

My God, "Headlong Flight" is EPIC. I LOVE "Snakes And Arrows." I should find my long winded review of that album on here when it came out.

I love the record.

My friend, I love to make fun of Neil with my friends on here. It's just for entertainment. At the end of the day Neil Peart will always be my MAN until I die.

Cheers!

Earl

If Peart were evil incarnate satan himself (and he might be!) I'd still think Moving Pictures is one of the greatest albums of all time.

Obviously j/k about Peart and the evil incarnate satan jazz. He can't be. I'm satan! :blaze:

• Like 1

Mine is drumming.

I love the record.

Cheers!

Earl

If Peart were evil incarnate satan himself (and he might be!) I'd still think Moving Pictures is one of the greatest albums of all time.

Obviously j/k about Peart and the evil incarnate satan jazz. He can't be. I'm satan! :blaze:

Hahahaha! Well we all know Neil can't swing and play jazz if his life depended on it. Even his Gruber studies and changing his stick grip to nasal drip traditional grip didn't help much.

Progressive Rock Pioneers can't swing.

You are the Devil JB.

That makes me the "Princess Of The Dawn."

Love,

ACCEPT me for who I am..............

Never the same.

:goodone:

I love how you always go straight to the heart of the matter, Earl. :codger: :cool: :LOL: ;)

• Like 1

Mine is drumming.

I love the record.

Cheers!

Earl

Damn straight! The devil went down to Georgie and played the f**k out of that fiddle!!

• Like 2

Neil has earned the right to retire, owes nothing to anyone. Wrote the song for him, not you, after all.

However, statements such as "Neil has been struggling with an ailment he picked up whilst motorcycling on this tour" bring no sympathy.

• Like 3

Mine is drumming.

I love the record.

Cheers!

Earl

Damn straight! The devil went down to Georgie and played the f**k out of that fiddle!!

Hahahaha! Have you ever heard the Primus cover? KILLER!

Neil has earned the right to retire, owes nothing to anyone. Wrote the song for him, not you, after all.

However, statements such as "Neil has been struggling with an ailment he picked up whilst motorcycling on this tour" bring no sympathy.

Absolutely

Never the same.

:goodone:

I love how you always go straight to the heart of the matter, Earl. :codger: :cool: :LOL: ;)

I love your Rush lyric quote my dear! After all "we are only immortal for a limited time."

• Like 1

Oh I agree. While in a practical sense the motorcycling is going to irritate his tendinitis, the only reason they got him to tour at all was because he was able to do it between shows. So it's a big likelihood they might have quit touring all together after Vapor Trails if they had put their foot down about that.

Edited by EagleMoon

Oh I agree. While in a practical sense the motorcycling is going to irritate his tendinitis, the only reason they got him to tour at all was because he was able to do it between shows. So it's a big likelihood they might have quit touring all together after Vapor Trails if they had put their foot down about that.

It wasn't even about the tendonitis that affected Neil's playing thanks to motorcycling. It was the damp boots he would wear while motorcycling in the rain. The bottom of his feet were fukked up. The poor fella could barely walk but he suffered through it and honored his contract and played for ALL OF YOU ON R40!

SO QUIT YOUR BITCHING AND REMEMBER SEEING THEM LIVE!!!!

If you never saw Rush live then blame your parents or GOD.

I saw them 60 times in exactly 30 years.

That's like seeing RUSH twice a year! I'm a happy camper!!!

You Rush Live Virgins can enjoy the video vertigo!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

It wasn't even about the tendonitis that affected Neil's playing thanks to motorcycling. It was the damp boots he would wear while motorcycling in the rain. The bottom of his feet were fukked up. The poor fella could barely walk but he suffered through it and honored his contract and played for ALL OF YOU ON R40!

I thought the foot thing was only during R40? Never heard him mention it before that. Also since it happened during the tour it wouldn't have been a deciding factor for him to go on tour to start with. That's what we're talking about.

Edited by EagleMoon

I thought the foot thing was only during R40? Never heard him mention it before that. Also since it happened during the tour it wouldn't have been a deciding factor for him to go on tour to start with. That's what we're talking about.

That is correct. My reference was to the R40 Tour when Neil came down with that horrific foot infection.

He was in constant pain for most of R40. My point is, the man still honored his contract and played in Rush to make all of his fans happy.

And yes, I am sure Neil would have wanted to cancel the tour thanks to his foot ailment yet he carried the torch and finished R40 in serious pain.

Neil Peart is a trooper. A real man.

He could have pussed out and called it quits.

What's that song on "Counterparts?"

Come on...

"STICK IT OUT!"

NEiL RULES!

He went out on top!

Seeing "Losing It" live at The Forum was so fitting for me.

I was front row for my last Rush show.

I was also front row for my first Rush show in 1984.

I have no regrets in life.

Neil had no interest in going on tour in the first place for R40.