Howard Ungerleider on Future Touring

Ron2112

I'm a bit disappointed in some of the comments here. NP played and worked on his terms but was a team player too in his way. He left no one high and dry. Do people who think that even know what that phrase means? As far as all the details we the public have been given, NP gave his word and lived up to that commitment. High and dry would be leaving mid-tour, promising or at least playing along with the idea that a European tour for R40 was going to happen and then backing out. No, he had to be convinced to do R40 and once he was on board, he fulfilled his promise/contractual obligation.

Someone also posted the analogy of NP's motorcycle rides between gigs to a working guy going out drinking. Well NP made it to the gig on time every night and performed to everyone's satisfaction. If that riding takes years off his ability to perform, that's his choice like it's my choice to drink, eat and not go to the gym. So as the years go by, I'm not in peak physical condition to do my work. Well you know what I and NP were not put on this earth just to please you. Riding made touring life worth doing for NP and none of us have any right to judge that, just like I don't have the right to judge you if you want a pint or 3 after work.

These 3 guys have worked on this thing called Rush since 1974, the odds of them wanting to pack it in all at the same time were remote. All things considered when it comes to rock bands calling it a day, Rush is the platinum standard.

This is exactly how I felt when I began reading this thread. Thank you for this compelling post. Come on guys! It's Rush. We are on a Rush message board for chrissake. Let's not kick one member of the Holy Trinity as he walks out the door. Neil is imperfect. We are all imperfect. Most of us just don't have to live under the scrutiny of thousands of hardcore fans. He has a right to live life according to his own terms.

Neil, Geddy, and Alex gave their lives to Rush. They gave us so much. How many bands compare to Rush's longevity, loyalty, and creativity? Do you even need more than one hand to count them?

I love Rush, too. But I'm not going to hold it against them because they can't be Rush forever. Neil was the first one to say he wants to retire. That was probably an agonizing decision. How can he avoid the role of the villain? He's now responsible for taking away something we all love. But it's more complicated than that. It's bigger than Neil. It's the passage of time. Neil navigates it in his own way. Who am I to judge?

Rush is Dead, Long Live :rush:

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 3

I believe a united front would have eased a lot of this "Peart Hate." If, on the documentary, they had all come out and said something to the effect of, "We've had a hell of a ride. But WE'VE decided we just can't perform at our peak anymore. So, unfortunately, R40 was our last tour."

Instead, Geddy and Alex both acted like they were disappointed that Neil was calling it quits. They really did him no favors in that regard.

• Like 5

I believe a united front would have eased a lot of this "Peart Hate." If, on the documentary, they had all come out and said something to the effect of, "We've had a hell of a ride. But WE'VE decided we just can't perform at our peak anymore. So, unfortunately, R40 was our last tour."

Instead, Geddy and Alex both acted like they were disappointed that Neil was calling it quits. They really did him no favors in that regard.

Maybe they weren't "acting". Maybe (and probably) they were being genuine...as they always seem to be.

• Like 4

From 1975 to 2002, 27 years, Rush released 16 albums, with tours to support each record. In between that, Neil suffered a major tragedy. I don't question his motives for retiring. He owes us nothing. And I think he's fine with the other guys in the band.

In comparison, someone like Tool has released 4 albums in 24 years. Rush were animals the way they released and toured pretty consistently. Old school rock n roll maniacs.

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 4

From 1975 to 2002, 27 years, Rush released 16 albums, with tours to support each record. In between that, Neil suffered a major tragedy. I don't question his motives for retiring. He owes us nothing. And I think he's fine with the other guys in the band.

Agreed 100%! :clap:

Agreed 100%! :clap:

I agree 2112%

THANK YOU NEIL FOR EVERYTHING! I LOVE YOU! STOP SMOKING!

Maybe they weren't "acting". Maybe (and probably) they were being genuine...as they always seem to be.

There were obviously some discussions we weren't privy to so we don't know the entire story. It would have been a bit more professional of Alex and Geddy provide more of a united front since it seemed that a part of Neil quitting was due to a physical ailment.

• Like 2

Maybe "acting" was the wrong word. What I meant was, they put it out there that they were disappointed. I guess if they had not let it be known that it was pretty much a one man decision, people would be mad at all three equally! :rage:
  • Like 1

For f***s sake...the guy has recorded something like 18 albums and done at least 18 tours in support of those albums, over a period of 40+ years. What else does he owe you? Who really is the diva here? He has given more back than most musicians. The man has a right to retire. :wacko:

You are right - I think it is his methodology that is being called into question. I have no problem with his retiring but hearing all of this about his general attitude over the past 10+ years seems dishonest and insincere. And how hard is it to air drum for a silly picture?

This is exactly the point I was trying to make.

There's a definite lack of consistency between what Neil said in his book and what he said in the documentary. Add to that the "my daughter says I'm retired", followed by Geddy's "no, Rush isn't over yet," followed by Alex and "I'm sure we'll work together", combined with a number of different things said by the crew, speaks to a certain lack of communication regarding Neil's intentions.

Or a misinterpretation of Neil's intentions.....

Ron,

Is the photo in question the one where Geddy is playing the fiesta red '60 Jazz? If so, I never knew the story (or noticed the sticks).

While I do not disagree that he has earned retirement and/or that he is free to do what he likes (and he owes me NOTHING), I do think that if I had a bandmate doing this stuff and did not wish to do it anymore (and was that much of a buzzkill as is rumored), I think I would make music without that person.

If Geddy and Alex did stuff with another drummer and didn't call it Rush, I would go see it. I wonder if they could do this and play 2000-5000 seat halls.

I don't disagree with any of this. But I would hope for honesty from that person after so many years invested. And based on how it played out in the press, it sounds like Ged and Al may have heard from Olivia first that Neil was completely "retired". And that sucks. Now.....there's every possibility that Neil tried being direct and folks just weren't hearing it, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Why don't you think that seems to be the case here?

For years he's dropped hints and after that became pretty explicit yet there are still many even here that do not believe Rush (as a band) is done and/or feel wronged that this has happened. Makes perfect sense that the band and those close to them were in denial for a while and that to me speaks to the greatness of the creation. But I think the message has been pretty clear in my opinion.

It seems there's a trend with bands wanting to retire as of late.

RUSH, SAGA, Black Sabbath, and now Tom Petty.

I mean, they all got old around the same time. The list of retiring and dying musicians is gonna keep getting larger

The only hope I've held out for future touring is if Neil wants more money. That's it. I don't think anything else would do it.
  • Like 1

It seems there's a trend with bands wanting to retire as of late.

RUSH, SAGA, Black Sabbath, and now Tom Petty.

I don't think Tom is going to retire. That report is false. He's playing Bottle Rock this year!

As I've said before: I got no problem with Rush being done (or not...?), Peart retiring...all of that stuff is entirely their prerogative. They/he don't owe anyone jack shit. My feelings are not hurt either way. Whatever.

That said, I find Peart's schtick hilarious, tiresome, selfish and weird.

• Like 3

I've read some of the nonsense on this thread... which is about the 300th time Rush (and Neil's) retirement has been talked about. I've kept telling myself to ignore this... don't bother ... But, I can't, so here it is: Neil has retired, the guy gave 40 plus years to his profession, and now he has his new life to live. LEAVE THE GODDAM GUY ALONE.
  • Like 4

I am 55 and have arthritis in my hands and various other problems due to working in a factory for years.Now on a pension.I do two to five gigs a month and i just feel i am begining to slip a little with my guitar playing due to the artho.I am missing the odd note in my right strumming hand.The audience as far as i can tell don't notice it but i do.But i do realise there may come a time when it will become glaring obvious.I am only pub/coffe shop/market player not on the lighted stage like Neil with video/sound recordings to scrutinize every paradiddle you make.The pressure to keep up to this standard must be enormous.I say this in the light of the tragedy of Keith Emerson who took his own life because his illness affected his playing and the pressure of an upcoming tour had been too much.While i hope Neil doesn't ever get any of those ideas and i certainly didn't expect that of Keith ,its best to go out on a high.Full marks to the Stones to keep going but they are a different kettle fish.Keith Richards could miss or play a bum note and would be hailed as genius.

I've read some of the nonsense on this thread... which is about the 300th time Rush (and Neil's) retirement has been talked about. I've kept telling myself to ignore this... don't bother ... But, I can't, so here it is: Neil has retired, the guy gave 40 plus years to his profession, and now he has his new life to live. LEAVE THE GODDAM GUY ALONE.

One reason I dont come here much is because Neil

This Neil that what are they going to do are they going to come back is there going to be a new drummer is it Rush without Neil shite.

As the man said Get a Life, people. Listen to something else in the mean time.

• Like 1

This Neil that what are they going to do are they going to come back is there going to be a new drummer is it Rush without Neil shite.

Okay. We'll listen to something else. But isn't this a Rush site? What the hell else are we supposed to talk about? What was better "Hemispheres" or "Moving Pictures" for the 400th time? I'm sure the site will eventually dissolve into a vapor trail...but until then, we're talking about the end of our favorite band and how it was handled. I mean, Rush is no more. If we can't discuss the why or how, we may as well shut the whole thing down. Because the discussion of the end is all we have left...
  • Like 1

Okay. We'll listen to something else. But isn't this a Rush site? What the hell else are we supposed to talk about? What was better "Hemispheres" or "Moving Pictures" for the 400th time? I'm sure the site will eventually dissolve into a vapor trail...but until then, we're talking about the end of our favorite band and how it was handled. I mean, Rush is no more. If we can't discuss the why or how, we may as well shut the whole thing down. Because the discussion of the end is all we have left...

Except how bad "Test for Echo" sucked.

As I've said before: I got no problem with Rush being done (or not...?), Peart retiring...all of that stuff is entirely their prerogative. They/he don't owe anyone jack shit. My feelings are not hurt either way. Whatever.

That said, I find Peart's schtick hilarious, tiresome, selfish and weird.

I get it and I understand it. However as a drummer of over 35 years, the only music I love to still play to everyday is RUSH music.

I know it's cliche, and tiresome like Neil's behavior, but it makes me HAPPY!

Some humans need to do yoga, meditation, hikes, long walks.

When I play my drums to Rush music I leave my relative body and become Eternal Earl.

All stress. All worry, all drama leave my high strung body.

I go from a stress ball Force Ten to a 1.

I wish all of you on here to find your happiness.

I hope all of you on here will find your peace of mind.

Mine is drumming.

Drumming to the Rush Canon.

May The Force Ten Be With You All.

There were obviously some discussions we weren't privy to so we don't know the entire story. It would have been a bit more professional of Alex and Geddy provide more of a united front since it seemed that a part of Neil quitting was due to a physical ailment.

I have no doubt that Alex, Geddy and Neil had several meetings and discussions. They are not our business. However, I have no doubt that these discussions were 100% open and honest with each other.

I have also heard that Alex had some hand issues too. Tendonitis I think. So everyone should stop blaming Neil.

• Like 3

I have no doubt that Alex, Geddy and Neil had several meetings and discussions. They are not our business. However, I have no doubt that these discussions were 100% open and honest with each other.

I have also heard that Alex had some hand issues too. Tendonitis I think. So everyone should stop blaming Neil.

YES

• Like 2

This.

It's unfortunate how entitled some fans are. Peart just gave 40 years and countless albums and tours, and some fans are still crying for more.

• Like 1