Howard Ungerleider on Future Touring

Ron2112

Howard weighs in here......

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2017/05/24/4918/Rush-lighting-director-Howard-Ungerleider-on-whether-Rush-will-ever-tour-again-in-new-Digital-Men-podcast-interview

Here's the problem I have with the current "Neil's Physical Condition" party line:

Every physical problem described by Neil in his book was resultant from and/or exacerbated by his choice to travel 300 miles by motorcycle between shows. That's easily fixable, and if Neil truly loved playing, creating, or performing, he'd find a way to make it happen.

I'd have a lot more respect for the guy -- and fans would have a lot more closure -- if Neil would just say, "I'm tired of the business and I have enough money, so sorry -- I'm done." Which I suspect is a lot closer to the case. It was pretty much hinted at in the horrible "Middle 8" section of the last book. But I suppose it's not cool to tell the fans, "look, the only reason I stuck around since SnA was because I needed to shore up Olivia's college fund."

Neil had a great career, and quitting is certainly his right and his choice. But leaving fans, and apparently his bandmates hanging by citing physical conditions that may get better, just seems disingenouous.

• Like 5

I don't think he's left his bandmates hanging. I think they know. If they don't on account of the fact that he never bothered to tell them the truth either, well, then, their relationship was more strained than any Rush fan thought or suspected.
  • Like 3

That´s one way of looking at it, Ron, but you could really tell how his abilities were fading a little bit - all those simplified fills in R40 are a clear example of that - and I respect Neil for still chosing to go out there and tour for as long as he thought it would be appropriate by HIS standards, while knowing also when to quit.
  • Like 4

...you could really tell how his abilities were fading a little bit - all those simplified fills in R40 are a clear example of that -

Again maybe a tour bus, plane and a masseuse instead of a BMW motorcycle.

• Like 6

not all about his physical health only,losing one kid and not being around his new ones had to be a part of it.i am in the process of divorcing after being tofether 38 years,33 married.my kids are grown and married,but even after 3 years of constant fighting,i still miss the hell out of her.cant imagine him losing them likr he did. also,alex arthritis is a major factor.i imagine the cartoon at the start of each concert with alex in the wheelchair in the cartoon probably is a real thing.plus,i do not care how much ear protection you use,listening and being the source of mind numbing cranked up as loud as hell music 40 years has to seriously damage your hearing.there is no way they could avoid that,all 3 of them. I am glad they rode off into the sunset the way they did with dignity,honor and respect like any great band should do.hate to see them beating a dead horse like the rolling stones are doing. Edited by workingthemangels63
  • Like 4

...you could really tell how his abilities were fading a little bit - all those simplified fills in R40 are a clear example of that -

Why should he give up something that gives him so much joy in order to please some of his fans? Seems pretty selfish of them.

• Like 5

Why should he give up something that gives him so much joy in order to please some of his fans? Seems pretty selfish of them.

If he agrees to tour, to take the job, he shouldn't in his free time engage in activities that hurt how he performs on the job. If I expect someone in the office at 8:00am I don't want them drinking from 10:00pm till 1:30am the day prior.

• Like 2

Dude I totally agree. I don't think you can diminish the impact his touring style had on him physically. At the very least it had to have an effect on his ability to recover from each show.

• Like 4

I don't think it's about pleasing fans but minimizing physical pain for himself and respecting his band mates/touring crew enough to not put himself at risk.

I mean, a man's always free to do as he wishes but choices reveal a lot about what we want. He clearly wants to be left alone even when on tour...as evidenced by his choice to run away from each show like a spooked thoroughbred without speaking to or acknowledging another living person or his decision to ride from show to show in isolation (but not without security lest some petty human wish to interact).

• Like 2

That´s one way of looking at it, Ron, but you could really tell how his abilities were fading a little bit - all those simplified fills in R40 are a clear example of that - and I respect Neil for still chosing to go out there and tour for as long as he thought it would be appropriate by HIS standards, while knowing also when to quit.

Well, maybe....but then, Neil's snarky comments about Charlie Watts in the R40 doc left me a bit cold. Say what you want about the complexity of the Stones' music, but at 10 years older than Neil, Charlie is still out there, making music on his own terms.

• Like 2

not all about his physical health only,losing one kid and not being around his new ones had to be a part of it.i am in the process of divorcing after being tofether 38 years,33 married.my kids are grown and married,but even after 3 years of constant fighting,i still miss the hell out of her.cant imagine him losing them likr he did. also,alex arthritis is a major factor.i imagine the cartoon at the start of each concert with alex in the wheelchair in the cartoon probably is a real thing.plus,i do not care how much ear protection you use,listening and being the source of mind numbing cranked up as loud as hell music 40 years has to seriously damage your hearing.there is no way they could avoid that,all 3 of them. I am glad they rode off into the sunset the way they did with dignity,honor and respect like any great band should do.hate to see them beating a dead horse like the rolling stones are doing.

The Stones are still producing new music and touring behind that music......what's wrong with that?

• Like 6

I don't think he's left his bandmates hanging. I think they know. If they don't on account of the fact that he never bothered to tell them the truth either, well, then, their relationship was more strained than any Rush fan thought or suspected.

I think it's more of this, with the twist that they (Geddy, Al, and the rest of the organization) probably figured that Neil needed to be there to for financial reasons. If there's really that much of a rift as Neil's own writing suggests there might be, it must have been a buzzkill to play with him for some time now. Maybe it's more complex than that -- I dunno.....but Neil's own writing doesn't exactly paint a happy picture of life on the road.

I think it's more of this, with the twist that they (Geddy, Al, and the rest of the organization) probably figured that Neil needed to be there to for financial reasons. If there's really that much of a rift as Neil's own writing suggests there might be, it must have been a buzzkill to play with him for some time now. Maybe it's more complex than that -- I dunno.....but Neil's own writing doesn't exactly paint a happy picture of life on the road.

Peart is a contrarian sourpuss who is only happy doing something because it's his idea or meeting with people on his terms...otherwise it's seems GedAl have had to practically drag his ass out to go on tour.

Great talent but classic diva personality.

• Like 5

I try to follow along with things Neil has written that folks have shared here, but I cannot recall the quotes you are referring to about Neil and his feelings towards Ged and Al and vice versa. Can you give some examples? I think I missed something. Or forgotten something. I saw Time Stand Still and heard him go on about not wanting to do the R40 tour and his health issues.

Edited by Wil1972

Neil had a great career, and quitting is certainly his right and his choice. But leaving fans, and apparently his bandmates hanging by citing physical conditions that may get better, just seems disingenouous.

I agree that Neil should not of done that, but it's his choice. He has been touring non stop for over 40 years, so of course he wanted to stop, but still, that was a bit rude of him to do. I still respect his choice, but imo, he could of stuck around longer.

• Like 1

I try to follow along with things Neil has written that folks have shared here, but I cannot recall the quotes you are referring to about Neil and his feelings towards Ged and Al and vice versa. Can you give some examples? I think I missed something. Or forgotten something.

Have you read "Far and Away"? After about the 30th time he refers to Ged and Al as "the guys from work", and only tells stories about how his interactions with the Rush organization are designed to ruin his motorcycling fun, it starts to lose it's charm.

Go to the section of the book that he calls "The Middle 8" -- it's all you need to read.

• Like 1

I try to follow along with things Neil has written that folks have shared here, but I cannot recall the quotes you are referring to about Neil and his feelings towards Ged and Al and vice versa. Can you give some examples? I think I missed something. Or forgotten something.

Have you read "Far and Away"? After about the 30th time he refers to Ged and Al as "the guys from work", and only tells stories about how his interactions with the Rush organization are designed to ruin his motorcycling fun, it starts to lose it's charm.

Go to the section of the book that he calls "The Middle 8" -- it's all you need to read.

I don't read his books cause his blog is boring enough. Just things folks share here. I knew he called them the Guys from Work but gave him a pass on that cause it could be meant ironically.

Fill me in on the Middle 8.

Edited by Wil1972

I agree that Neil should not of done that, but it's his choice. He has been touring non stop for over 40 years, so of course he wanted to stop, but still, that was a bit rude of him to do. I still respect his choice, but imo, he could of stuck around longer.

To be clear -- I don't see it as "rude". Neil can do what he wants, and he's earned that. But watching the rest of the organization tout the "physical strain" party line gets old. Especially after you read the latest Peart travel book and never get the sense that the guy has any remaining love of music at this point.

All I'm saying is call it what it is -- the retirement fund finally hit 100% and Neil is done. Cool. Most people go out that way. Just don't try to sell an image of some poor guy who'd be out there redefining drumming for the 21st century audience of he only could. That guy retired some time around 1981.

• Like 2

I don't read his books cause his blog is boring enough. Just things folks share here. I knew he called them the Guys from Work but gave him a pass on that cause it could be meant ironically.

It's basically Neil heaping derision on the music business, and specifically on the photo shoot that accompanied the Rolling Stone article. He relates how Geddy and Al were compliant with the photographer, while all she did was piss him off. Apparently, when -- it sound like out of exasperation over his attitude -- she asked him to air drum, he threw the sticks on the floor, and that's the shot that ended up in the magazine.

Great stuff, huh?

• Like 1

It's basically Neil heaping derision on the music business, and specifically on the photo shoot that accompanied the Rolling Stone article. He relates how Geddy and Al were compliant with the photographer, while all she did was piss him off. Apparently, when -- it sound like out of exasperation over his attitude -- she asked him to air drum, he threw the sticks on the floor, and that's the shot that ended up in the magazine.

Great stuff, huh?

That is being a diva.

For f***s sake...the guy has recorded something like 18 albums and done at least 18 tours in support of those albums, over a period of 40+ years. What else does he owe you? Who really is the diva here? He has given more back than most musicians. The man has a right to retire. :wacko:
  • Like 8

For f***s sake...the guy has recorded something like 18 albums and done at least 18 tours in support of those albums, over a period of 40+ years. What else does he owe you? Who really is the diva here? He has given more back than most musicians. The man has a right to retire. :wacko:

You are right - I think it is his methodology that is being called into question. I have no problem with his retiring but hearing all of this about his general attitude over the past 10+ years seems dishonest and insincere. And how hard is it to air drum for a silly picture?

• Like 2

not all about his physical health only,losing one kid and not being around his new ones had to be a part of it.i am in the process of divorcing after being tofether 38 years,33 married.my kids are grown and married,but even after 3 years of constant fighting,i still miss the hell out of her.cant imagine him losing them likr he did. also,alex arthritis is a major factor.i imagine the cartoon at the start of each concert with alex in the wheelchair in the cartoon probably is a real thing.plus,i do not care how much ear protection you use,listening and being the source of mind numbing cranked up as loud as hell music 40 years has to seriously damage your hearing.there is no way they could avoid that,all 3 of them. I am glad they rode off into the sunset the way they did with dignity,honor and respect like any great band should do.hate to see them beating a dead horse like the rolling stones are doing.

The Stones are still producing new music and touring behind that music......what's wrong with that?

The Stones haven't recorded an album of original material in over a decade. I certainly don't count their recent blues cover album as new material. Their set is mainly the same hits with a couple of deep cuts rotated around each show.

• Like 2