JAZZ

So welcome to TRF's very own official jazz thread. As I am using this summer to practice my jazz playing so I can hopefully make jazz band next year, I thought it would be a cool idea to have a place to discuss this wonderful music in as little or as much detail as is wanted.

To start things off, I've been listening to Maynard Ferguson's MF Horn 4 & 5 (Live At Jimmy's) today. Awesome stuff! Love the amount of alto on this thing as well, and I even found a cool interview with the alto player from a few years later. Anyone else love this record? Have any recommendations for similar records/players?

Here's that interview:

https://www.nationaljazzarchive.co.uk/stories?id=5

• Like 3

When it comes to genre the only people that might have more disagreements than metal heads are jazz people. I can appreciate true free form jazz but it's a challenge. I prefer fusion, good "smooth" jazz like acoustic alchemy and any pop/rock band that has jazzy elements like level 42 for example.

First I thought this was a thread about the Queen album Jazz. When I notice it wasn't I got bored...

Sorry, jazz the genre and Jazz the album are both deserving of their own threads, but I thought jazz the genre might be a more inclusive discussion.

• Like 1

When it comes to genre the only people that might have more disagreements than metal heads are jazz people. I can appreciate true free form jazz but it's a challenge. I prefer fusion, good "smooth" jazz like acoustic alchemy and any pop/rock band that has jazzy elements like level 42 for example.

Ever listen to David Sanborn or Dave Koz?

• Like 1

my appreciation for Jazz had become greater and greater. I love Jazz now and Jazz Fusion stuff

What's some of your fav fusion stuff?

I'm not big on Jazz...I'm big on Miles

Out of curiosity, what is it about Miles that gets him appreciation from fans of other genres, but other huge jazz musicians (like Coltrane or Herbie Hancock for example) don't seem to have the same crossover appeal?

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

I love jazz. Spent years listening mainly to Miles & 'Trane, but around 5 years ago spread my wings a bit, and I've still only scratched the surface.

FWIW, my favourite artists:

EST

Billy Cobham

Art Blakey

Stanley Turrentine

Erroll Garner

Count Basie

Mahavishnu Orchestra

Return To Forever

Weather Report

Dizzy Gillespie

Louis Armstrong

Oscar Peterson

Roland Kirk

Wayne Shorter

Herbie Hancock

Buddy Rich

Cannonball Adderley

Stan Getz

Chet Baker

Louis Jordan

Charlie Parker

Earl Bostic

Lester Young

Charles Mingus

Thelonious Monk

I'll stop now, JAZZ IS HUGE.

• Like 5

I'm not big on Jazz...I'm big on Miles

Out of curiosity, what is it about Miles that gets him appreciation from fans of other genres, but other huge jazz musicians (like Coltrane or Herbie Hancock for example) don't seem to have the same crossover appeal?

I'm not sure...I started out listening to Miles in 1987, and back then it was those slick funky pop jazz records like Decoy & You're Under Arrest I listened to. Back then I loved a lot of bands with a funky & exciting rhythmic approach. Miles was a part of this musical landscape. When I researched his back catalog more and more it was his approach to music and his willingness to take things in different directions that made his music exciting. Miles is jazz but at the same time he is a lot more than jazz...

• Like 3

I have 50 Miles albums & that's just about all the Jazz i need...lol. I love Weather Report btw...but as Treeduck would say...they are :haz:
  • Like 3

Ever listen to David Sanborn or Dave Koz?

Absolutely, also Boney James, four play, Najee, Chris bottI, lee ritenour, George benson, Keiko matsui, mindi abair, rippingtons, spyro gyro, david Benoit, Larry Carlton, Earl klugh, etc. As far as older stuff I've always loved Stan Goetz and Sergio mendes

• Like 1

I'm into hard bop the most, out of all the jazz I've ever heard. Pick any Blue Note artist from the mid '50s to mid '60s, and you can't go wrong.

Some of my favorites are Art Blakey, Horace Silver, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Freddie Hubbard...

I also love Bill Evans, Miles, Coltrane, Charles Mingus...and so many others I'm forgetting.

What instrument do you play, E_P?

• Like 4

I'm into hard bop the most, out of all the jazz I've ever heard. Pick any Blue Note artist from the mid '50s to mid '60s, and you can't go wrong.

Some of my favorites are Art Blakey, Horace Silver, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Freddie Hubbard...

I also love Bill Evans, Miles, Coltrane, Charles Mingus...and so many others I'm forgetting.

Alto sax mainly, though I've tried my hand at the other three major saxes. A combination of picking up the sax for school band, listening to classic rock radio, and playing guitar hero is what got me into music in the first place actually.

• Like 3

Dexter Gordon? "Go!" is a pretty awesome album. Can't go wrong with Billy Higgins on drums!

• Like 2

Dexter Gordon? "Go!" is a pretty awesome album. Can't go wrong with Billy Higgins on drums!

Go is an excellent album, as is One Flight Up (probably my favorite Dexter Gordon), and Our Man in Paris.

• Like 1

Alto sax mainly, though I've tried my hand at the other three major saxes. A combination of picking up the sax for school band, listening to classic rock radio, and playing guitar hero is what got me into music in the first place actually.

My son may be trying out for jazz band at his middle school. He's a trumpeter.

• Like 2

My son may be trying out for jazz band at his middle school. He's a trumpeter.

Cool! I hope he does, and I hope he makes it. Concert band is fun, but jazz is the most fun.

• Like 1

No wonder we get along so well! :D

When I was a teenager in the 80s, I was more into funky fusiony kind of things, but in college I got waaaay until 50s/60s Blue Note stuff. Hard bop RULES! :)

Honestly, the only fusiony/smooth stuff I really like these days is Weather Report.... and Metheny. Maybe some Yellowjackets. Marc Russo is a badass alto player.

Weather Report were such a multi-faceted group... every period of their existence has its gems.

Otherwise.. it's mostly a diet of hard bop and other 50s/60s "chamber jazz" ... small groups.

Not sure why Miles crossed over in a bigger way than Trane.. but somehow he put together bands and albums that resonated with many people, not just jazz fans.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 3

I enjoy Miles Davis A LOT

But...beyond that...i get a bit intimidated

• Like 3

No wonder we get along so well! :D

When I was a teenager in the 80s, I was more into funky fusiony kind of things, but in college I got waaaay until 50s/60s Blue Note stuff. Hard bop RULES! :)

Honestly, the only fusiony/smooth stuff I really like these days is Weather Report.... and Metheny. Maybe some Yellowjackets. Marc Russo is a badass alto player.

Weather Report were such a multi-faceted group... every period of their existence has its gems.

Otherwise.. it's mostly a diet of hard bop and other 50s/60s "chamber jazz" ... small groups.

Not sure why Miles crossed over in a bigger way than Trane.. but somehow he put together bands and albums that resonated with many people, not just jazz fans.

Yeah, I'm definitely not into the 'smooth' jazz thing. It just reminds me of elevator music.

But a group like Weather Report I think of as very far removed from all that! They were really tight, and really far out. Great stuff.

• Like 3

I enjoy Miles Davis A LOT

But...beyond that...i get a bit intimidated

Intimidated?

You might enjoy quite a bit more.

• Like 3