Chris Cornell has died aged 52

Blasting Superunknown out the window of my dorm room as I sit here mulling over this.

When Fell On Black Days came on...it really hit me...I used to hear that and think it was in the past for whoever wrote it...now I think it must have been much more present...goodness.

"Whatsoever I've feared has come to life

Whatsoever I've fought off became my life

Just when everyday seemed to greet me with a smile

Sunspots have faded and now I'm doing time"

I mean....GAH! :(

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

“You guys f—ing show up! Thank you,” he tells the audience. “I mean, I feel a little bit sorry for the next f—ing place we play. It’s okay, we’re not going to go in there with the same expectations anyway. We’re going to go in there [saying], ‘Hi guys, you should have been at that Detroit show. Because that crowd is something.'”

This quote in particular is making me kind of choked up :(

That's what makes this hard to understand for me. Because everything on the surface, his twitter page, the statement above, made everything look...fine. I'm sure every person that attended the show last night is in complete shock as well. It seems there may have been some type of trigger or deep, dark things happening under the surface. Perhaps there may be more information forthcoming that would shed more light on his mindset. Just speculation, but his wife tried calling him pretty soon after the show, so she may have felt she needed to keep tabs on him a bit.

It doesn't seem a Soundgarden 'band conflict' would have affected him like this, sense they broke up before and Chris is a solo artist as well. So he could easily say F the band, I'll do my own thing again.

I'm just speculating out loud trying to make sense of this. I think in a very logical 'cause and effect' fashion, so that very well may not apply to mental illness.

It makes no sense he would do this right after a show in the middle of a tour...involving his band and fans.

Why get the band back together after a nearly two year break? Why work on a new album if you don't have a will to live?

Even though I could get depressed, I have no idea what depression is.

If there is any truth about human beings, it is this: we're very good at hiding how we really feel and what we are about to do.

We LIE. We lie to others and especially to ourselves. When we finally get tired of lying, the results are often tragic.

• Like 4

“You guys f—ing show up! Thank you,” he tells the audience. “I mean, I feel a little bit sorry for the next f—ing place we play. It’s okay, we’re not going to go in there with the same expectations anyway. We’re going to go in there [saying], ‘Hi guys, you should have been at that Detroit show. Because that crowd is something.'”

This quote in particular is making me kind of choked up :(

That's what makes this hard to understand for me. Because everything on the surface, his twitter page, the statement above, made everything look...fine. I'm sure every person that attended the show last night is in complete shock as well. It seems there may have been some type of trigger or deep, dark things happening under the surface. Perhaps there may be more information forthcoming that would shed more light on his mindset. Just speculation, but his wife tried calling him pretty soon after the show, so she may have felt she needed to keep tabs on him a bit.

It doesn't seem a Soundgarden 'band conflict' would have affected him like this, sense they broke up before and Chris is a solo artist as well. So he could easily say F the band, I'll do my own thing again.

I'm just speculating out loud trying to make sense of this. I think in a very logical 'cause and effect' fashion, so that very well may not apply to mental illness.

Yeah... I suspect that there's got to be stuff underneath the surface here.... things that he told maybe only a few close friends and family.

And that does happen a lot with depression.... the surface looks all good! But underneath, most people won't know because the person projects all the "good stuff".

It IS senseless, and it's hard to wrap one's head around.

• Like 1

When i was hugely depressed during my teens.........and i mean real crushily bad.

no one knew. i mean no one. i was real good at acting happy in public.

just saying things aren't always what you see.

you can suffer in silence.

Mick

• Like 4

When i was hugely depressed during my teens.........and i mean real crushily bad.

no one knew. i mean no one. i was real good at acting happy in public.

just saying things aren't always what you see.

you can suffer in silence.

Mick

Word.

I suffered in silence throughout my 20s and 30s.

• Like 3

I just can't believe it.

He's one of the founding fathers of the new age of rock and roll, one which has persisted in mentality through the present day. But now he's another one of those game changers to pass on before the old guard from the decades before him has. It just isn't fair.

And think of his family...kids, 16, 12, and 11 if I'm not mistaken....I cannot imagine...

I have written a short reflection in light of Chris' passing. Here it is:

"Nonsequiter"

Whatsoever you gave

Now I give it back to you

Words of wisdom, anguished cries

Saved not your life as they have mine.

If I could cry for you

Would you want me to?

Whatsoever you spoke

Now I hear as if anew

As if I knew...

You take your life after saving mine.

If I cry for you

Will you want me to?

So in death, as in life

Your words do not follow

#Nomorebull****

No more? No more?

Whatsoever you passed

Has since pursued you

Whatsoever you rode

Now drives you to the bottom

I could cry for you

Do you want me to?

So in death, as in life

Your words do not follow

No more bull****!

No more! No more!

Fire and Rain; I feel for you

fire and rain;

R.I.P. Chris Cornell

• Like 3

I have been reading about this. He was a handsome man.

Something doesn't sit right with the suicide angle.

Maybe I am reading sanitized accounts about him, but it is being said that he was a very warm, giving, and loving man, and that he and his wife ran a charity to help children.

Has his wife made any statement?

• Like 1

RIP, thanks for the great music and memories

Fwiw , king animal was excellent and a nice return to form

It took me some time to enjoy King Animal. I think my expectations were too high at first that there was no way it could live up to it.

I eventually came around the liking it a lot.

• Like 2

RIP, thanks for the great music and memories

Fwiw , king animal was excellent and a nice return to form

It took me some time to enjoy King Animal. I think my expectations were too high at first that there was no way it could live up to it.

I eventually came around the liking it a lot.

The only album I haven't heard. Never actually knew it existed until I checked Spotify a week ago!

Maybe I am reading sanitized accounts about him, but it is being said that he was a very warm, giving, and loving man, and that he and his wife ran a charity to help children.

Here's the statement from his wife...

http://www.tmz.com/2017/05/18/chris-cornell-suicide-death-wife/

Chris always seemed to be the reclusive, tortured artist type but seemed kind and respectful in all reports that I've read. As other reports stated, he seemed just 'off' in their performance last night and it was somewhat of a trainwreck.

• Like 1

Only John Hughes, PS Hoffman, Bowie and Robin Williams' deaths have made me cry and now Chris Cornell. All the grunge and alt rock of its golden age were to my youth what classic rock like Who, Zep et al were to my parents and Zep were a huge influence on Soundgarden. I had Superunknown in junior high on cassette and wore it out like I did with my Pearl Jam and STP albums.

RIP Chris Cornell and say hello to Andy Wood of Mother Alice Bone, Layne of Alice In Chains and, obviously, Kurt.

• Like 4

https://www.nytimes....oundgarden.html

"found with band around neck"

mother f***ing suicide.

I truely can't identify with mental illness or depression that causes one to snap like this. Especially when you have so much in your life like a wife and kids. If he didn't want to continue to perform, or felt he wasn't up to standard, then f**k that and just do something else

There is a possibility that it was the same thing that killed Michael Hutchence, auto-erotic asphyxiation. Normally I'd say hopefully not, but at this point it doesn't really matter. He's dead, apparently by his own actions. So sad.

Although this thread is for Chris Cornell, I will just take one post to say that Michael Hutchence did not die by auto-erotic asphyxiation ..

RIP Hutch, RIP Chirs

Hutch was found sitting naked on the bathroom floor with a belt around his neck, looped around the doorknob. He was undoubtedly into kinky stuff. His band, biography and closest friends stated this. He was depressed about what was going on with Yates and Geldof but EVERYONE around him said he would NEVER in a million years kill himself. Aussies are too happy.

It's totally ignorant for ANYONE to say that someone else would 'NEVER in a million years kill himself." Many people in that kind of pain hide it. And many many people have committed suicide even though "EVERYONE" said "oh, they would never do that!"

Also: "Aussies are too happy"? WTF. Way to generalise, and to trivialise. Whether Michael Hutchence intended to die or not, that is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard in a discussion about mental health. And I have heard many.

Considering Michael was very involved with his children and wife, I still don't believe he meant to kill himself. But our suicide rate is pretty high so "the Aussies are happy" idea isn't true. Lot of sad lonely men here. It's all Saint Bob's fault.

But we don't want ANY more suicides.

• Like 1

Here's the statement from his wife...

http://www.tmz.com/2017/05/18/chris-cornell-suicide-death-wife/

Chris always seemed to be the reclusive, tortured artist type but seemed kind and respectful in all reports that I've read. As other reports stated, he seemed just 'off' in their performance last night and it was somewhat of a trainwreck.

And it happened 37 years to the day Ian Curtis hung himself like how Dimebag was murdered by a deranged fan 24 years after John Lennon. Disturbing as hell.

Only John Hughes, PS Hoffman, Bowie and Robin Williams' deaths have made me cry and now Chris Cornell. All the grunge and alt rock of its golden age were to my youth what classic rock like Who, Zep et al were to my parents and Zep were a huge influence on Soundgarden. I had Superunknown in junior high on cassette and wore it out like I did with my Pearl Jam and STP albums.

RIP Chris Cornell and say hello to Andy Wood of Mother Alice Bone, Layne of Alice In Chains and, obviously, Kurt.

and Scott Weiland :(

• Like 2

Cobain, Staley, Weiland, now Cornell. Too much, way too soon.

Someone please tell Eddie Vedder to stay indoors or something.

I think he's mostly mentally stable and doesn't shoot heroin so he's probably ok.

Yeah, Cornell was an addict at age 13, relapsed again after Soundgarden broke up, but I didn't think he had had a re-relapse. Vedder is a raging alcoholic, though, so his liver may commit suicide soon.

He seemed least likely to kill himself of all the grunge icons. Especially now since his Cubbies finally won.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

https://www.nytimes....oundgarden.html

"found with band around neck"

mother f***ing suicide.

I truely can't identify with mental illness or depression that causes one to snap like this. Especially when you have so much in your life like a wife and kids. If he didn't want to continue to perform, or felt he wasn't up to standard, then f**k that and just do something else

There is a possibility that it was the same thing that killed Michael Hutchence, auto-erotic asphyxiation. Normally I'd say hopefully not, but at this point it doesn't really matter. He's dead, apparently by his own actions. So sad.

Although this thread is for Chris Cornell, I will just take one post to say that Michael Hutchence did not die by auto-erotic asphyxiation ..

RIP Hutch, RIP Chirs

Hutch was found sitting naked on the bathroom floor with a belt around his neck, looped around the doorknob. He was undoubtedly into kinky stuff. His band, biography and closest friends stated this. He was depressed about what was going on with Yates and Geldof but EVERYONE around him said he would NEVER in a million years kill himself. Aussies are too happy.

I've seen that Behind The Music episode. Sad how he lost a couple of his senses in an accident.

I bet Pearl Jam will do a eulogy song for him like u2 did for Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of. They already did a couple of songs in the memory of Johnny Ramone on the avacado album.