Remembering Ronnie James Dio

jamie

Lest we forget the legend that we lost 7 years ago. His legacy will live on forever in our hearts. RIP Ronnie James Dio.

tumblr_oq2hdkYUTG1wpzcfyo1_1280.jpg

Edited by jamie
  • Like 12

Ronnie was 50 when Dehumanizer came out. And his voice was still so powerful.

Rising, Heaven and Hell, Holy Diver. Has any other artist hit such highs with three different bands?

Objectively ;) the greatest rock vocalist of all time.

• Like 4

Glad I was able to see him not long before he passed with heaven and hell supported by Alice cooper and queensrÿche. Really solid vocalist and great show.
  • Like 1

RIP to a metal legend.

Saw him live with Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath).

Needless to say, phenomenal power.

Will listen to Rainbow when I get home from work.

• Like 2

He seemed to be a decent and nice person.

An artist like Ronnie James Dio is the reason the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a sham, not that he needs to be inducted to validate his legacy, it's validated by his fans.

• Like 2

Got to see him twice. Once on the Dream Evil tour with Savatage and Megadeth as openers and then on the Lock Up The Wolves tour with Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force as the opener. One of the all time greatest singers in rock music and a genuinely nice guy. RIP Ronald James Padavona.
  • Like 3

I only saw him once, in the Magica Tour (2001, I believe). Great show, and what a great performer...he holds a spot in my Mount Rushmore of metal singers for sure. R.I.P.
  • Like 4

Got to see him twice. Once on the Dream Evil tour with Savatage and Megadeth as openers

I was only ten years old at the time this tour happened. It's one of those shows that I would no doubt go back and see if I were living in a Time Machine.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Glad I was able to see him not long before he passed with heaven and hell supported by Alice cooper and queensrÿche. Really solid vocalist and great show.

That was an excellent show. No unneeded openers from what I remember. Just three classic bands putting on a kick ass show. That was the last time I saw Dio live. I think Cooper should have closed that tour honestly. People were way more into his set. I also saw Dio on the Dehumanizer tour and solo in '97 and '98. Meet him and got his autograph when he did a record store signing on the afternoon of the show in '98.

Hopefully, treeduck will tell the story again of the chance meeting he had with Dio back in the mid 80s. Much better than me meeting him at a scheduled signing.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Got to see him twice. Once on the Dream Evil tour with Savatage and Megadeth as openers

I was only ten years old at the time this tour happened. It's one of those shows that I would no doubt go back and see if I were living in a Time Machine.

Missing that tour is one of my deepest regrets as a metal fan. They played in Rio, but I had a Physics test in college the next day, so I decided not to go. I failed the test and missed the show...

Seven years ?!?! I remember like it was yesterday.

Saw him on the Sabbath Heaven and Hell tour back in the 80s, then on his own band's first UK tour.

Both at the Glasgow Apollo. For some reason our paths didn't cross again until the first Heaven and Hell tour at the LA Forum. Great show. One of the all time greats.

Viv Campbell would be nothing without him, and Last In Line is just an example of the scumbaggery that goes on on the backs of the greats.

• Like 1

I saw him on the Last in Line tour when he was at his apex, and then I saw his second to last show ever with Heaven and Hell. Age, and as we now know, cancer, had taken a toll on his voice, but not his showmanship. And he was as gracious to the fans as any rock star ever. I love Sabbath with Ozzy, but Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are my favorite Sabbath albums from any era.

Lest we forget the legend that we lost 7 years ago. His legacy will live on forever in our hearts. RIP Ronnie James Dio.

tumblr_oq2hdkYUTG1wpzcfyo1_1280.jpg

Well done Jamie there'll be a pack of donuts in the mail for you. Just check your safety deposit box. :AlienSmiley:

I'm happy to say I met the Ronnie in Leeds in 1986, on the day of the gig, just by chance. He probably forgot me about 10 seconds after he left but I'll never forget him.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 3

The biggest thing I took away from meeting him was how welcoming he was to everyone he met that day. He talked to every fan like they were long time friends he hadn't seen in awhile. I guess in a lot of ways fans are just that. Just a naturally charismatic man whether he was on stage or being himself.
  • Like 4

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/Ronnie-James-Dio-Tattoo_zpsyhxt4jpf.jpg
  • Like 1

Dio's death for me, was not only devastating to see such an amazing singer die, but caused me to have feelings of just utter contempt for all the metal magazines and news sites that blatantly lied to the fans and said that he was in remission. And it wasn't until he was on death's door when we found out the true nature of his condition.