Question about Geddy's Jazz bass on the Moving Pictures Tour

The Big Money

So I was reading some stuff over on a bass related website and the discussion of Geddy using his famous 72 Jazz bass on the Moving Pictures tour came up. I originally thought he didn't play the jazz bass as is the case in the Exit Stage Left dvd. A quick google image search shows that he did indeed use the bass in at least a few of the shows on that tour. Anyways, my question is does anybody know what song(s) he used the jazz bass on? Thanks.
  • Like 2

So I was reading some stuff over on a bass related website and the discussion of Geddy using his famous 72 Jazz bass on the Moving Pictures tour came up. I originally thought he didn't play the jazz bass as is the case in the Exit Stage Left dvd. A quick google image search shows that he did indeed use the bass in at least a few of the shows on that tour. Anyways, my question is does anybody know what song(s) he used the jazz bass on? Thanks.

I think I used to know this. A guess would be take all of the songs not appearing on the DVD and start there? Is the 8mm footage from that tour on you tube? That might be a place to start too.

I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable than I has committed it to memory. For some reason, I'm thinking Red Barchetta was one of them.

Just looking at photos, it seems he used the Jazz when Alex used the Howard Roberts Gibson

Alex was still using his white 355 and a Strat style guitar - and of course, the double neck .. But it seems when he had the Howard Roberts, Geddy had the Jazz ... Not sure if that helps, but that might rule out some songs ..

I'll have to go back and watch Exit Stage Left to see if and when Alex played the HR

http://www.rockmusictimeline.com/rush_81.jpg

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-oakland-ca-06.06.1981/13.jpg

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-dallas-04.10.1981/4.jpg

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/concerts/rush-oakland-ca-06.06.1981/23.jpg

http://www.gribnut.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/rush-1981/rush01.jpg

• Like 4

Howard Roberts jazz box?Fender Jazz bass?Neil with his jazz/swing drum solos not to mention Buddy Rich.What a bunch of jazzers.Ummm ..i own a jazz bass

From the description of this YouTube video

Super 8 footage of Rush performing Live at the Spectrum in Philadelphia on May 22, 1981. Part of The Camera Eye and most of YYZ are included.

From my understanding Geddy used the Fender Jazz on just 'YYZ' from the Moving Pictures Tour.

• Like 3

Super 8 footage of Rush performing Live at the Spectrum in Philadelphia on May 22, 1981. Part of The Camera Eye and most of YYZ are included.

From my understanding Geddy used the Fender Jazz on just 'YYZ' from the Moving Pictures Tour.

wow, thank you for posting that link

I was at that show ... I have some photos somewhere - when I find them, I'll scan 'em and post them

wow, thank you for posting that link

I was at that show ... I have some photos somewhere - when I find them, I'll scan 'em and post them

FM (featuring Ben) was the opening act

I think he only used it for the really fast bass lines during the MP and Signals tours ala YYZ and Digital Man

If there is a pic of the '72 Jazz being used on the Signals tour, I would like to see it.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that.

I saw the Moving Pictures Tour in 1981 and Alex definitely played the Howard Roberts on The Camera Eye. I believe Geddy also played the Fender Jazz Bass on The Camera Eye, Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ and Vital Signs. I think those were the only songs he played the Fender Jazz Bass on.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I think he only used it for the really fast bass lines during the MP and Signals tours ala YYZ and Digital Man

If there is a pic of the '72 Jazz being used on the Signals tour, I would like to see it.

:)

Here you go...

36494258_10155889876430735_2028060626340806656_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&oh=49c4d923d0586496631c90c11a17f9ab&oe=5C43EAC3

Edited by Lyth
  • Like 3

Here you go...

36494258_10155889876430735_2028060626340806656_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&oh=49c4d923d0586496631c90c11a17f9ab&oe=5C43EAC3

I seriously lost my breath when I saw this picture.

Neil's kit drives me crazy.

Heaven

• Like 1

Nice pic Lyth!

Thank you.

I believe that it was taken at Wembley Arena.

However, the stage clothes that the band are wearing were the same that they wore when I saw them at the NEC in Birmingham on that tour - my first ever gig - so it may be from there.

I'd like to think that it was. :)

• Like 1

I wonder if they are playing The Weapon.

Yep.

It's the end of The Weapon with the spinning strobe lights cutting through the smoke from the flashpots.

That was one of the biggest memories for me from that tour. Superb effect on one one of my favourite songs,

Here's another photo of them doing it (and Geddy playing the Jazz) at Radio City Music Hall in September 1983...

9.jpg

Edited by Lyth
  • Like 1

oh and the most rare of Geddy's basses ever seen or used was the white Steinberger he used as a backup to his Wal during the HYF/Presto tours. I thought it was a mistake or misprint in the Merely Players book which was rife with errors but there is indeed a youtube vid of him playing it during a HYF Closer to the Heart in Connecticut
  • Like 1

oh and the most rare of Geddy's basses ever seen or used was the white Steinberger he used as a backup to his Wal during the HYF/Presto tours. I thought it was a mistake or misprint in the Merely Players book which was rife with errors but there is indeed a youtube vid of him playing it during a HYF Closer to the Heart in Connecticut

You mean this one?

guitar-world-04.1988-6.jpg

I saw him play it - again on Closer To The Heart - on the 21st April show of the HYF tour at the NEC in Birmingham in 1988.

• Like 1