RUSH Best Mastering Guide

diatribein

Vapor Trails - No good mastering exists. They are all LOUD, clipped, and suffer from compression.

Sad reality is that mediocrity has become the norm whether it be the record producers or the radio producers. These two groups are most risk adversed

Cool. Looks like we'll have this thread to ourselves until the trolls get bored.

I prefer the Japanese masterings of Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels (Don't have a Japanese Snakes and Arrows to compare) as they are a little easier on the ears. Don;t have any download versions of any of these so I can't make any comparisons with those.

Is that the Japanese pressing you like Vapor Trails Remixed (WPCR-14997) or the original (AMCY-10015). Is there actually a little more headroom or is it just a slightly different EQ? I use this website: http://www.southtexa...cd_masters.html as a tool to get information on versions of albums I do not have and as you can see they seem to think that the Japanese Clockwork Angels (WPCR-14471) is identical to the US Roadrunner version. I have three versions of Clockwork Angels (Canada 6682521722, UK CRP10-06-12 (which has a different sleeve), and the US Vinyl 1686-176561). They all sound the same to me, with obvious variance between vinyl & CD. I also have the 24 bit digital files, which are mastered similarly.

That website looks like a Rush Stoner's paradise!������

Well, it has been a LONG time since I've visited this thread, but in my lowly and wretched way I have honestly learned a LOT about Rush pressings on vinyl by now :) I have the remastered / remixed version of Vapor Trails, and although not necessarily the ultimate job in mastering, I can say that on my system, which is pretty discretionary, it sounds quite good and a HELL of a lot better than the original, so I highly recommend the newer remastered pressing on vinyl if anyone is interested.

FWIW, here are some of the better (best?) vinyl pressings of theirs that I have acquired since I've been here and that I can remember off the top:

S/T: try to get the G.K. mastering (it's in the deadwax runout)

Fly By Night: (same)

Caress of Steel: Now, THIS one almost gave me a nervous breakdown since tracking down the 'best' vinyl pressing on this particular album and it's first pressings are EXTREMELY difficult. IF you can track down a bonafide very early US pressing, that is one of the best ones (I got SO bloody obsessive with finding the 'best' pressing of this album, I ended up buying like 5 different ones! :D) The newer remaster that was released is not too bad IF you turn the volume up very high. The way Sean Magee mastered these, he applied kind of an odd balance tonally between lows & highs. On my system (which is tri-amped with two Dual-Mono amps running the highs individually for maximum separation, and a Crown running the subs) I have to set the Crown a tad higher and boost both above normal settings in order (for me anyway) to get the right tonal balance.

2112: JAMF pressing is considered the best (either from Canada or the US) although I also have an odd 'Truetone' pressing (it's stamped in the deadwax) that I feel is also quite good.

AFTK: JAMF pressing

Hemispheres: I do not have a specific opinion on this one. Many like either the 1st UK pressing ('TRIDENT' in the deadwax) or the new remaster.

Permanent Waves: 1st UK pressing

Moving Pictures: Any double 'RL' pressing (it's in the deadwax) I have the 1st Dutch pressing and it frigg'n ROX!!! :D

Signals: 1st US (possibly the new remaster; I've not heard it...)

Grace Under Pressure: New remaster

Power Windows: 1st US

Presto: New remaster

That's about as far as it goes for comparative pressings on vinyl. I have the newer remasters of some of the later albums, like the 2-LP versions of both Counterparts and Test for Echo, and again, with tweaking the increasing the volume somewhat, they both sound pretty good. And, of course as I mentioned above, the newer remix of Vapor Trails is a BIG improvement.

I hope that helps... :)

• Like 2

Vapor Trails - No good mastering exists. They are all LOUD, clipped, and suffer from compression.

Sad reality is that mediocrity has become the norm whether it be the record producers or the radio producers. These two groups are most risk adversed

Cool. Looks like we'll have this thread to ourselves until the trolls get bored.

I prefer the Japanese masterings of Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels (Don't have a Japanese Snakes and Arrows to compare) as they are a little easier on the ears. Don;t have any download versions of any of these so I can't make any comparisons with those.

Is that the Japanese pressing you like Vapor Trails Remixed (WPCR-14997) or the original (AMCY-10015). Is there actually a little more headroom or is it just a slightly different EQ? I use this website: http://www.southtexa...cd_masters.html as a tool to get information on versions of albums I do not have and as you can see they seem to think that the Japanese Clockwork Angels (WPCR-14471) is identical to the US Roadrunner version. I have three versions of Clockwork Angels (Canada 6682521722, UK CRP10-06-12 (which has a different sleeve), and the US Vinyl 1686-176561). They all sound the same to me, with obvious variance between vinyl & CD. I also have the 24 bit digital files, which are mastered similarly.

That website looks like a Rush Stoner's paradise!������

Looks like you found one of the threads....

At first glances it is apparent that someone went to a lot of trouble using EAC to show variation among pressings as it were. Has any info been provided on methodology, statistical or otherwise? Just curious but can two identical tracks burned from a "master" yield the same extraction value? Also, how does one use this info? I understand that the closer an extraction is to 100% the more accurate the copy but what would be a suggested cutoff percentage for a "driveby" tract or pressing?

Forgive my ignorance.������

I'm not expert on this by any means. Don't have the expertise to run those numbers either but I do note them in combination of what I with what I'm hearing and other factors.

I have ample access to the early US CDs. Can anyone attest that the Canadian and/or W. German pressings are much better in sound quality?

Say, worth 3 or more times the cost?

Thank you.

• Like 1

I have ample access to the early US CDs. Can anyone attest that the Canadian and/or W. German pressings are much better in sound quality?

Thank you.

Much better than the 1997 remasters? Yes. Three times the cost of what? $1? $5? $10?

Picture gets a bit more murky after that with your Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs and Audio Fidelitys. I think the 2015's are comparable if not better, but we only have 4 of those so far.

Thank you.

I think the original poster did a great job on the Canadian catalog of Rush cds however there is so much overlooked here on this thread that it must be addressed.

I have been an audiophile freak even going back to 1985 when cds were first produced.

As many of you know Japan pressed everything first. Even for the US Market. Of course the German pressings are also top notch over anything the US produced.

There are so many variants in Rush audio pressings and although I have only a few Canadian cd pressings I am Japan all the way.

I actually used to audio "taste" test back in the late 80's and early 90's with USA V. German V. Japan Rush pressings. Japan pressings blow them all away. Not only by the audio content but also the artwork was pressed with higher quality inks.

Japanese pressings have always been elite and blow everything away in my opinion.

I am merely speaking of the Japanese pressings even before the skeptical remasters came out.

Also don't forget about the constant reissues that Japan has done over the decades. Reissues non remaster. Reissues remastered. Reissues SHM remastered. I have them all and the SHM are the best to my ear.

Also, DCC and MFSL did many RUSH albums in 24 gold karat plated compact discs. Even they sound incredible.

Good luck to all and happy collecting.

I will take my Rush SHM cardboard mini-sleeve set any day.

I've complied a wide variety of discs, for the albums I care about most: Fly By Night - Signals.

I have US silver, US and W German atomic, MFSL, 1997 Remaster, the Sector sets, Dvd-Audio & Bluray-Audio (for certain albums) and HDTracks downloads.

I suppose I should pick up at least one early Japanese album, since there are positive reviews.

I've been doing some listening, as well as wav form analysis.

I plan to reply back, at some point with some observations, some pictures, and maybe I'll even do a video on my YouTube channel.

• Like 2