Your favorite post-synth era Rush studio album(1989-2012)?

Texas King

Your favorite post-synth era Rush studio album(1989-2012)?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite post-synth era Rush studio album(1989-2012)?

Looking at these albums in the poll makes me a ashamed that I never really obsessed over them like the Rush album that had gone before

Was it the 80`s that did it ?

I think that may be it

Clockwork Angels

Thinking about how to rank them makes me realize that they're all decent but imperfect albums, with the exception of T4E and Roll The Bones, which get less interesting to me with each listening. VT and Presto have the most interesting songs, but production is a real issue. Clockwork and Snakes and Arrows come very close to excellent with a little paring of material. Sonically, T4E, Snakes and Counterparts are fantastic. The T4E material is elevated when I watch Neil's "A Work in Progress" video. A lot of the subtleties of his drumming are lost in the straight audio experience.

So...based on song quality, here's how I'd rate them:

Presto 11/11 - 100%

Roll the Bones 6/10 - 60%

Counterparts 6/11 - 55%

Test for Echo 3/11 - 27%

Vapor Trails 12/13 - 92%

Snakes and Arrows 8/13 - 61%

Clockwork Angels 8/12 - 67%

• Like 1

I like that at the end of their career, they pulled it together for a few really good albums. So much of the material released after GUP was mediocre at best. But with each release starting with Vapor Trails, they got better and better. Clockwork Angels is, by far, the best album released since GUP, maybe since Signals.
  • Like 1

Thinking about how to rank them makes me realize that they're all decent but imperfect albums, with the exception of T4E and Roll The Bones, which get less interesting to me with each listening. VT and Presto have the most interesting songs, but production is a real issue. Clockwork and Snakes and Arrows come very close to excellent with a little paring of material. Sonically, T4E, Snakes and Counterparts are fantastic. The T4E material is elevated when I watch Neil's "A Work in Progress" video. A lot of the subtleties of his drumming are lost in the straight audio experience.

So...based on song quality, here's how I'd rate them:

Presto 11/11 - 100%

Roll the Bones 6/10 - 60%

Counterparts 6/11 - 55%

Test for Echo 3/11 - 27%

Vapor Trails 12/13 - 92%

Snakes and Arrows 8/13 - 61%

Clockwork Angels 8/12 - 67%

Nice job, Goose! Are you a recent graduate of "JohnnyBlaze's Mathemagics Online Course-O-Rama"? I am currently enrolled and highly confused.

• Like 1

Clockwork Angels, for sure. But I love a lot of the later stuff. I happen to be one of the few lovers of Vapor Trails, and I really enjoy Counterparts. But CA's story and heaviness appeal to me more than even most early Rush.

Vapor trails has stood the test of time better than the rest.

Thats because it has balls....

:yes: Just like Hillary Clinton.

I voted Counterparts, but could just as easily have voted CA. Counterparts has a special place in my heart because I'll always remember the first time I listened to it and thinking to myself "THEY'RE BACK!!!". Ironically my three favorite songs from this era are all on S&A - The Main Monkey Business, The Way the Wind Blows, and Mal Nar - but there are also quite a few songs on S&A that I don't particularly care for.
  • Like 1

Alien Shore and Leave That Thing Alone were the last great RUSH songs recorded.

Too bad you've never heard Headlong Flight.
  • Like 4

Clockwork Angels is their best album since Grace Under Pressure. It's really a remarkable accomplishment when you think about how old they were when they recorded it. I don't think there has been a finer recording made by musicians over the age of 60...ever. :haz:
  • Like 6

Counterparts.A great mixture of songwriting and playing.Alex's guitar really came back on this album.Also this album came out a low ebb in my life and helped me through it.RTB.Despite it being hated so much here i find it an uplifting album and often play it in my car.Presto.If only the production was beefier (but not brickwalled!!!).Thats my top 3
  • Like 2

Clockwork Angels... but I have a major soft spot for Presto/RTB/Counterparts

if I had to rank 'em:

1) Clockwork Angels

2) Roll the Bones

3) Counterparts

4) Presto

5) Snakes & Arrows

6) Vapor Trails

7) Test for Echo

8) Feedback

Edited by Mystic Slipperman