The Necromancer *Alex's solo*

lifeson90

The song is brilliant, the guitar is amazing, and in 1975, Rush was Alex's band

Not sure which solo you mean L90, but the section following Brooding in the tower . . is as good as it gets

• Like 5

Not sure which solo you mean L90, but the section following Brooding in the tower . . is as good as it gets

yeah is all pretty much beyond superlative but solo i meant beginning 7.08 bud

• Like 2

Not the best quality, but this is the only complete live version of The Necromancer I am aware of ..

Starts at about 13:30

Lakeside Park into The Necromancer - does it gets any better ??

• Like 4

And they kicked ass. :haz:

Whenever I hear Alex talk about Limelight being his best guitar solo, I always think "don't you remember the solo from The Necromancer?" :LOL:

• Like 4

Whenever I hear Alex talk about Limelight being his best guitar solo, I always think "don't you remember the solo from The Necromancer?" :LOL:

1) they were high out of their minds when they did The Necromancer

2) they almost never played it live

3) he easily may not have listened to it in decades

Yeah, I kinda doubt he remembers it tbh.

Thirteen, I think the exact same thing

• Like 2

Check what he lists under "choice cuts":

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w47/msspielm1/Lifeson%202_zpsmtufc4gg.jpg

• Like 4

That actually was a great listen despite the sound.

Extra points for the Geddy Lee superfan that couldn't shut up. He entertained me between songs.

edit: This is a reply to Brucey's video.

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 1

Surnie BC?

I recall reading an interview with Piggy from Voivod (RIP :( ) and The Necromancer was his #1 pick when it came to lead playing.

Personally I prefer Alex' more concise solos of later years but you can't help thrilling to the awesomeness on the odd occasion that Under The Shadow gets stuck on...

• Like 1

Necromancer does need more love. Along with LVS, I think it is Alex's best playing.

:haz: :smoke: :7up: :rush:

• Like 1

Surnie BC?

Typo...shame on the proofreader!

• Like 2

Clapton once said he was singing through the guitar and that's what Alex's solo sounds like to me.

Some guitarists like to 'sing' their guitar solos. They say that the result is better phrasing and dynamics; the reason being you need to take a breath, which prevents you from playing too long a series of notes (if that makes sense).

• Like 2

Yeah ,great solo,blew me away when i first heard it.As for Limelight ,that is pure emotion and playing from the soul,when Alex started 'thinking'about his solos but also remaining for the most part spontaneous.But back to the Necromancer the nearest i can say is that it sounds like Jimmy Page on a good day but at a stretch.I like it as one of his best early solos.I found some of his later solos more inspiring but this debate could go on forever . :coffee:
  • Like 1

Metallica spawned a whole career out of that middle section. Remasters have annoyingly compressed that solo as originally it screeched across the speakers like some wild bird of prey.
  • Like 1

Surnie BC?

Typo...shame on the proofreader!

A mash-up of Surrey and Fernie?

What magazine is the picture taken from?

I can't remember - I just had the Lifeson thing clipped out and on my bedroom wall. I think it was some Guitar for the Practicing Musician special edition of the top 100 guitarists at the time - something like that. Is that magazine still around?

Or maybe Guitar Player. So long ago...

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

The Necromancer has always been one of my all-time favorites. I just got a puppy back in March and I named her Mancer (Necromancer is just too long). ;)

It's hard for me to choose a favorite solo from The Necromancer though... they are all so awesome. The one at the end of Into the Darkness is so wickedly sinister... the Under the Shadow solo (double solo really!) leaves me mind-blown every single time I hear it - the very end with Alex and Geddy jamming together is sooooo powerful it gets my adrenaline pumping to the hilt... and then the stunning beauty and heartfelt emotion in the Return of the Prince solo almost literally brings tears to my eyes. The whole song is like an amazing rollercoaster ride!

What magazine is the picture taken from?

I can't remember - I just had the Lifeson thing clipped out and on my bedroom wall. I think it was some Guitar for the Practicing Musician special edition of the top 100 guitarists at the time - something like that. Is that magazine still around?

Not sure... I'd love to find a copy of that picture though!