New Steven Wilson Track: Pariah

Pretty powerful stuff. The duet between Wilson's delicate vocals and Ninet's crashing expressive roar really creates a hell of an emotional experience. An immediate favorite; this feels like an anthem of hope for the modern melancholy. Can not wait for the album.

• Like 8

Thanks for posting KJ.

Perfect song for a shiny night. Brilliant. :hail: :smoke:

• Like 1

When's the new album out?? :smoke:

Faster than the new Priest I think. :hail:

• Like 1

My fifth record is in many ways inspired by the hugely ambitious progressive pop records that I loved in my youth (think Peter Gabriel’s So, Kate Bush’s Hounds of Love, Talk Talk’s Colour of Spring and Tears for Fears’ Seeds of Love). Lyrically, the album’s eleven tracks veer from the paranoid chaos of the current era in which truth can apparently be a flexible notion, observations of the everyday lives of refugees, terrorists and religious fundamentalists, and a welcome shot of some of the most joyous wide-eyed escapism I’ve created in my career so far. Something for all the family!

To The Bone is due to be released on 18th August but is available now to pre-order in a variety of formats, including a special deluxe hard back 120 page book edition, which includes an exclusive full length CD of demos and unused songs, and a one-sided 7 inch vinyl single of a bonus instrumental song from the album sessions. Neither of these will be available anywhere else - https://stevenwilson.lnk.to/ToTheBo...

• Like 2

Already ordered the deluxe box set. :drool: :yay:
  • Like 2

The title track from HCE was a slow burn for me, now one of my favorite SW tracks. This falls into the same mixed feelings category on first listen, but IMO it left me with a slightly more positive impression after. I'm sure after hearing it another hundred times I'll fully enjoy it.
  • Like 1

The title track from HCE was a slow burn for me, now one of my favorite SW tracks. This falls into the same mixed feelings category on first listen, but IMO it left me with a slightly more positive impression after. I'm sure after hearing it another hundred times I'll fully enjoy it.

Yeah I felt the same when the preview was uploaded months ago. I think that the line "I'm tired of Facebook" threw me off in a bad way (still think it's one of his worst lyrics) but eventually I was able to look past it by the time the full song was released yesterday. Now, I quite like the song a lot and welcome this more modernistic and pop sounding direction. It's quite new territory he's exploring on this album it seems.

Like most SW albums, this song will fare a lot better when I listen to the whole album and get the context of it all.

After a handful of listens, I already like this more than Perfect Life and I think it will continue to grow on me. Does anyone else hear parallels between this and Peter Gabriel's Don't Give Up?

I will be very interested to hear the whole album and hear this song in context.

• Like 1

After a handful of listens, I already like this more than Perfect Life and I think it will continue to grow on me. Does anyone else hear parallels between this and Peter Gabriel's Don't Give Up?

I will be very interested to hear the whole album and hear this song in context.

Very much on the PG! (Steven even made reference to "So" in his post)

I quite liked the song on first listen. Goosebump moments when the drums kick in with that wash of sound & Ninet (wow!)

I think that the line "I'm tired of Facebook" threw me off in a bad way (still think it's one of his worst lyrics)

Why? I thought it was the most powerful line in the song. "Tired of Facebook, tired of my failing health..." speaks perfectly to the generation of now-aging gen-X'ers (and even older millenials) who watched the internet come up with so much wonder and promise, only to see it become the disconnected noise that it has. It's a generation of people who are coming upon their own mid-lives, dealing with failing health and social 'settling' for the first time. It was a huge theme of his Blackfield V album, and one I am very much in tune with right now.

It speaks to a time, a place, and a frame of mind. It isn't timeless, and it shouldn't be.

• Like 2

I think that the line "I'm tired of Facebook" threw me off in a bad way (still think it's one of his worst lyrics)

Why? I thought it was the most powerful line in the song. "Tired of Facebook, tired of my failing health..." speaks perfectly to the generation of now-aging gen-X'ers (and even older millenials) who watched the internet come up with so much wonder and promise, only to see it become the disconnected noise that it has. It's a generation of people who are coming upon their own mid-lives, dealing with failing health and social 'settling' for the first time. It was a huge theme of his Blackfield V album, and one I am very much in tune with right now.

It speaks to a time, a place, and a frame of mind. It isn't timeless, and it shouldn't be.

It's really that one line "I'm tired of Facebook" that I had a hard time taking seriously out of disbelief, cause while it's actually in line with how I feel about Facebook myself, to hear him sing exactly those words and in the way he sung it, I had a bit of a laugh followed by a "Steven, really?" kind of reaction when I heard that line sung for the first time. And I'm not the only one who thought that either.

As soon as I listened to it seriously and objectively I came away from the song's lyrics being reflective of how I feel about all this stuff (internet/social media culture) as well. And not being extraverted by nature, it hits home with me as well. The intent of the line was powerful I concur...but I felt he could've conveyed it with a much better line I guess? Apart from that one line...lyrically it's brilliant and find myself singing along to it.

Edited by PolarizeMe

If I had an Ovary I`d have his children

Bring them up

Tell them their real father was a genius and brought Prog back to where it belonged and is to good for us mortals to be even in the same room let a lone the same planet ...

• Like 1

Agree. Very timely lyric.

He's going very autobiographically with his lyrics lately, but he has the finger on the pulse. Blackfield V is a great example.

I dig Pariah, even if it sounds a bit like a remnant of the H.C.E. sessions! Great song.

• Like 1

I think I dislike hearing Facebook because it immediately dates his song. What if there's a next big thing that overtakes it in 10 years. Then again I didn't complain when he said Xbox in Fear of a Blank Planet. But it's weird sometimes like seeing the Simpsons family use their smartphones. Something seems off about it.
  • Like 1

One thing I want to mention is how subtle yet incredibly awesome I think the swirling electronic "soundscape" sounds are in the beginning of Pariah. It's trivial stuff such as that in the production which makes me excited most when listening to SW's music. Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 2