First heavy metal song ever?

I like smoking lightning...

Impossible to say who was first but i think the attitude that born to be wild brings is the essence of metal.

Yeah, and they are not in the Hall of fame?

They must be metal then! ;)

Black sabbath - black sabbath

This might be the best answer. Lots of music came out before Sabbath that influenced metal but then Sabbath came along and clearly defined it. The first true metal album

Exactly right. There were heavy songs predating this, many mentioned above and all legit...all heavy for their time. But Sabbath permanently and irreversibly turned a page and created a sonic template that simply did not exist on that level prior. It was then that heavy metal as a sound was born, which is different than bands dabbling in heavier sounds. Sabbath turned that effort on its ear.

• Like 2

Growing up...

I always thought Paperback Writer was 'heavy' but I was 11y.o. in 1966 when it was released. What did I know.

My vote goes for Pretty Things Old Man Going. Written '67 and released '68.

• Like 1

Summertime Blues is usually the one that gets the credit. However, I would say the guitar riff in Beck's Bolero by Jeff Beck is possibly the first heavy metal guitar riff.

Growing up...

I always thought Paperback Writer was 'heavy' but I was 11y.o. in 1966 when it was released. What did I know.

My vote goes for Pretty Things Old Man Going. Written '67 and released '68.

That is metal!

:goodone:

If subgenres count, then I think that Rainbow's Stargazer is the very first power metal/symphonic metal song. Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

This might be the best answer. Lots of music came out before Sabbath that influenced metal but then Sabbath came along and clearly defined it. The first true metal album

Album Master of Reality defines metal much better than their debut. Black Sabbath and The Wizard are only two metal songs on it, but other tunes are just bluesy hard rock.

Album Master of Reality defines metal much better than their debut. Black Sabbath and The Wizard are only two metal songs on it, but other tunes are just bluesy hard rock.

Perhaps, but the doesn't discount Sabbath's debut from being the very first metal in commercial existence, even if it wasn't 100% metal yet.

And imo, they were fully metal by Paranoid, which was released mere months later, so it's gonna be 1970 Sabbath anyway.

The reason no one takes Heavy Metal seriously is because many of the great classic bands dabbled in metal type songs before it was a genre. Then they moved on to other interesting sounds. Then came the clown show bands playing metal in their silly leather outfits.